Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2004, 11:35 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'd take it apart where it sits.

The only thing slavagable is the body and maybe a few interior peices. Don't risk damaging them by having that rotten frame buckle underneath it and destroying it. Right now that body is the only thing holding that mess together. Everything from the rub rail down is scrap.

Two guys with cordless drills, a saw-z-all and spare battieries could strip that thing down to the point you could get the body off in a1.5 days or less. You have to do it any way when you restore it do it where it sits. My wife and I took a 22ft appart without any addition help. I'm not a strong guy and neither is my wife. She tips the scales at 90lb. It was all in the planning. Most weight I lifted durring the whole process was 60lb. That was the jack I used to lift the rest.

Four people can easily handle moving the body. Depending on how far you pull it down it would be around 250lb 300 max. It could be loaded onto a car trailer and moved. Then come back for the rest and if it folds it's no big deal and you haven't risked the part of real value.

This thing is going to fall appart if you try to move it in one shot.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:33 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Post considerations....

hmmmmm...
good ideas. and possible ways to go and to anticipate.

really.... thanks for the input and encouragement.

this isnt going to happen overnight of course . because of work and a full time life....

what i am thinking is a choice between a flat bed car hauler and a trailer with a winch. the addvantage with atrailer with awinch is that it ought to be much lower to the ground . haveing the transport platform low will reduce stress to the unit during the pull and release of transfer.
i really would prefer to have the convienience of doing most of the work on the project at home. not at its current site.
however if things quickly panout to indicate it wont transport ...
.... then other plans will be made.
untill i start getting into it -there will be some unknowns.

thanks for the tips.

paul
p.dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:56 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

On second thought, I think toaster's suggestion is the best one...that is, if the PO is cooperative and the current site is not too far from your home. Check out some of the pictures of his and others frame off restorations on this forum.

Also, we are not trying to pressure you into making any quick decisions. We are just very excited for you and are pleased whenever someone resurrects one of these beauties from the dead. Put into perspective, this thing has been collecting rust for over 45 years now. A few more days, weeks, months or even years is not going to make a difference. So take your time before giving us your start date and a detailed completion schedule.

Good luck

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
No pressure at all. I'm glad to see that you want to save that coach. Your right, the body is in remarkable condition. Stuff like that antenna and the gravel guard are nice to see intact. It's worth saving but don't kid yourself You got a LOT of work ahead. This is going to be a good year in the making unless you have access to a good metal fab shop and a couple folks to lend a hand.

Our coach took a lot of work and for the most part our frame was in good condition. I only had some repairs around the step and one bad crossmember. My wife and I stipped ours down to the frame did the frame repairs, painted, redecked it, new sheet flooring and put the body back on in a little over a month. Mostly weekends but I did take over a week of vacation in that time.

Siting on that sand has killed that coach. If it had sat on a concrete pad where air could circulate around it and it would dry shortly after the rain it would not have got to that condition. That rust out is a result of salt air and moist ground. Shame really.

I haven't seen the thing. It may make it on to a trailer and that 12 mile trip will be no problem. It might not.

I could not believe how bad of shape ours was in. I didn't know till I started taking it apart. What I see on that coach is 100 times worse then ours appeared when We picked it up. I have never seen a picture of one with the end of the fram reails rusted off. Gregs is in bad shape and he's having to make a new frame just like you are going to have too. It looked a LOT better then that before he got into it.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #45
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Is it in your yard yet? Did it make it in one peice?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:38 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Post not yet, its just getting better......

not yet - today i hope to get over there and clean it out. prune some tree branches away from it. disconnect plumbing,etc.
havent decided definently on the transportation mode (how i am going to get it home) yet.
i will try to gently pull away the undercarriage cover in the front to see what the frame looks like in that area.

what is the best way to release these old rivets in this area ?
just chiesel the head or neck of them off ?

been otherwise occupied with work . reg.hrs. + ot.
thought i would have some extra money with 32 hrs ot.....but
my wife said sorry....
that will help to take car of the property taxes and the car insurances... oh well...

but in the mean time i have found another basket case.
its a 62 tradewind. tree branch fell onit. missing awning, a window and the inside is totally grossed out - all original though.
needs total reguvination.
the good thing is- compared to the 57 overlander -is that this is towable. i just got to get some better wheels on it to get it home.
i am wondering how this has happened. now i have 2 ofem.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:45 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

You have the disease airstreamgottahaveititis. I'm sorry to inform you there is no cure at the present time. But at least you don't have the more deadly strain of the disease called sobgonnafallapartis.
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 07:31 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: not yet, its just getting better......

Quote:
Originally posted by p.dow

but in the mean time i have found another basket case.
its a 62 tradewind. tree branch fell onit. missing awning, a window and the inside is totally grossed out - all original though.
needs total reguvination.
the good thing is- compared to the 57 overlander -is that this is towable. i just got to get some better wheels on it to get it home.
i am wondering how this has happened. now i have 2 ofem.
Well I'll tell you how your finding so many vintage. Your in the state were most retires go to get away from the cold. They bring their Airstreams down to visit. Then buy a home. The airstream becomes parked.

Keep any eye out for 59-61 maybe 62s around 22ft. I need one to salvage front and rear windows out of it.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:53 AM   #49
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Paul - keep me in mind as well. I need a few hard to find parts too. One would think that living in Arizona that retired folks would bring their trailers here, buy a house and leave their trailers parked out back. Well, I think once they spend a summer here many of them pack up the trailer again and head north

I just don't see any of these older units here.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #50
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Parts?

Paul,
While you're hauling out your new toy, keep your eyes open for one of these.
If you find one, I will give you $20 for it.
I need a second one so I can make a pair of wheel covers for my '59.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jackplate.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	4975  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 03:23 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Smile thanks guys.....

got my hands full i know.

really hadnt intended in getting into the parts end of it.

my yard and garage is allready full of stuff that my wife willtellyou ought to be put to the curb. no appreciation.
anyway if it winds up i can help anyone with something iwill.
right now i am hopeing to make a relatively quick fix of the
62 tradewind and maybe trailer somewhere this summer withit. the 57 overlander will be longer in the fixingup.

paul

Old 03-04-2004, 04:25 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Post forward frame amputation.......

here is my current plan.
today i had a guy and a truck with a welder over to look at the trailer.
i had taken out the front couch/bed and the floor back to the heater (all the front floor to just to the left side of the doorway).
major rust issues that clear up right about there for the front end.

the welder recommends discarding the frame at this point and fabricating a new one identical in layout to the old one. except new material will be a little thicker. he will scab on extra metal brace at splice joint.
i am thinking this is the way to go now. this will allow me to tow it home and get me started with frame repair at the same time.

i would like to know -if some one will tell me-....
what is the best way to separate the rivets from the channel in this area???? (do they all need to be drilled out ?)
also if anyone has done anything similar if they can share pointers.

i am wondering if the front end will need support (ie take the front window out and rig up a support there ?) ?
i will support the frame at the severed part .

thanks
paul

Tags