Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda
Do you think $500 is a fair offer or is that too much considering the work that needs to be done?
I would say that is fair. Take a look at the one Doug Reid bought about a year ago for $800.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...0-a-26102.html
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #22
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Nice Job Rhonda!!!!!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
The obsession begins!!!

Great find. I know what you'll be doing for the next couple of years...

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
I believe it is the obsession that caused us (Rhonda and I)to purchase this one yesterday. The '74 has been a good amount of work already, this one is going to be real work compared to that. Step 1 is necessary frame fixes and what not for towability. step 2 ....? I guess I will deal with that later.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Just my opinion, but if the front tongue/frame bent because of rust, the rest of the frame is going to be toast - what does the frame look like coming out the back?

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
congratulations!

Rhonda and Dave,

Congratulations on your new baby! She's a beauty, can't wait to see her at the next LPPI Rally.

You've got a lot of restoration work to do, but oh what fun it will be. Feel free to ask any questions along the way. Derek and I will be following your every move.

Oooohhhhh.....I'm so happy (an just a wee bit jealous)!

Cheers!
Renee
Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
KenJ,

I expect to find frame issues, the rear is better but,.... I am curious to see what I get when I pull the belly pan. Once the pan is down the rest of story will come out. I was able to look into a piece of fallen belly skin and while I saw rust, I was somewhat surprised of the overall condition. Does anyone have a source for original frame schematics or anything that will be of help once I am forced to make a decision. Assuming that decision is hack off whats bad and replace. I suppose if it is all shot than my choice becomes, well I will have no choice.

I plan to keep updating this thread as it all unfolds, as well as gleen wisdom from those that have done this. Part of my wants the frame to be totally shot so that I can build in the waste tanks rather than manipulate to make them fit.

Any how please keep posting as I need all the information that you have gained from your own experience.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrtheil
Rhonda and Dave,

Congratulations on your new baby! She's a beauty, can't wait to see her at the next LPPI Rally.

You've got a lot of restoration work to do, but oh what fun it will be. Feel free to ask any questions along the way. Derek and I will be following your every move.

Oooohhhhh.....I'm so happy (an just a wee bit jealous)!

Cheers!
Renee

Renee,

I was hoping you would pop up. I most definately need yours and Dereks assistance here. For starters I need wheel and tire info as well as what you did for your replacement axle. I am now forced into distinguishing the two by name so I was considering Ike and Nixon.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
IKE and NIXON

Oh my gosh - how absolutely perfect. I love it!!!

Derek is going through our receipts to find phone numbers of the axle and tire locales. I'll PM you with those when we locate 'em.

A couple of weeks ago we considered a '54 Safari for about a nano-second. Oh all right, I considered it for a couple of days. Interior was painted all in beige gloss paint. Completely. Wall, floors, ceiling, cabinets, etc. Egad.

I decided the price was a a bit too much, especially considering the work we still need to do on Felix. But you got one hell of a deal, wish we could come across something like that.

Let me know if you want us to show up in grungy work clothes to help with the rebuild. We loooooovvvvvveee that kind of work.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Renee,

Thank you for the offer to come help, I hope to take you up on that. Also thanks Derek for looking into his old receipts for me. We anticipate quite a lot of work on this one, but we were both pleased with the completeness of the unit. I hope to have it towable in a couple months and maybe by spring it can come out and play as a glorified tent. I will be looking for your PM's.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
So is it going to be "I LIKE IKE"??? Nice find Dave and Rhonda.. Tnx for the phone call about it too.. Looks like another axel job in the drive way to me...
Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The only bummer about our '56 and 'dropping the belly pan' is the way it's all connected. IF you remove the rivets to drop the belly, they are the same rivets that hold the shell onto the frame. So, you have to either leave the belly and skin attached or cut the belly pan off and reattach a new larger one so you can overlap where you cut. Does this make sense? If you want to see what a '56 Safari frame looks like without a floor, check out my "It's a Girl!" thread...yours, while longer will be similar.

Good luck & have fun! How are you going to get it home with a broken tongue?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yes a frame can be pieced together - I had to do that on a couple of cross members the some PO hacked out.

You can also beef up the frame to put those tanks in - much easier than building a whole new frame, although that is been done numerous times

Ken J
Rally
restoration rally
Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The only bummer about our '56 and 'dropping the belly pan' is the way it's all connected. IF you remove the rivets to drop the belly, they are the same rivets that hold the shell onto the frame. So, you have to either leave the belly and skin attached or cut the belly pan off and reattach a new larger one so you can overlap where you cut. Does this make sense? If you want to see what a '56 Safari frame looks like without a floor, check out my "It's a Girl!" thread...yours, while longer will be similar.

Good luck & have fun! How are you going to get it home with a broken tongue?

Shari
Shari,

My plan is to flat bed it over to a friend/vendor of mine that has about 50K sq ft to play with and an awesome fabricator on staff. At that point I think we can get it stable towable and get it home and then do the rest here. As for the belly pan, can you cut it say..5 inches to the inside underneath and then replace with a "smaller" pan riveted together under the trailer? I noticed in your thread that you had a bunk? By any chance do you still have it and would like to free yourself of it?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Yes a frame can be pieced together - I had to do that on a couple of cross members the some PO hacked out.

You can also beef up the frame to put those tanks in - much easier than building a whole new frame, although that is been done numerous times

Ken J
Ken,

I like yoiur ideas, I assume that frame access is gained by removing the floor?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss
So is it going to be "I LIKE IKE"??? Nice find Dave and Rhonda.. Tnx for the phone call about it too.. Looks like another axel job in the drive way to me...
Yes sir another axle coming up!! I just don't know if I will retain the srung axle or go torsion, any thoughts?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon
Shari,

My plan is to flat bed it over to a friend/vendor of mine that has about 50K sq ft to play with and an awesome fabricator on staff. At that point I think we can get it stable towable and get it home and then do the rest here.
Cool! I sure wish I had friends like that!
Quote:
As for the belly pan, can you cut it say..5 inches to the inside underneath and then replace with a "smaller" pan riveted together under the trailer?
I'm not following what you are asking, but the key is to not remove the rivets at the beltline...they hold both the shell & the belly pan to the frame. Same rivets. However you cut/patch the belly is up to you.
Quote:
I noticed in your thread that you had a bunk? By any chance do you still have it and would like to free yourself of it?
Yes we do have a bunk...it looks to be original. And while we don't 'need' it for sleeping arrangements because it's just the two of us, we do plan to keep it. Our kitty needs a hiding place and the extra storage space will be great! If we change our minds...I'll let you know.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 11-05-2007, 06:06 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Dave

No I accessed the frame by removing the belly - what I did ( you can see it here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ion-12320.html is cut the belly about 8-12" from the wrap all the way around and dropped that belly that way. In my case I did replace all the wrap and removed all the rivets that Shari mentions - a dicy situation I must say - but doable - your wrap actually looks ok, so I don't think you will need to that unless you do a shell off.

Good luck - keep the questions coming - we are here to help - and will feel you pain as you go through this restoration process - keep in mind there is an end to the project and it will get done!

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
We have removed some of the bellypan/shell rivets attached to the get access to a portion of the frame from underneath. Our rear cross member needs to be replaced and the belly pan is damaged there. But the section is only across the rear and we've supported the shell from inside in the meantime. I guess the key is doing it in sections so the whole shell/belly is not loose at the same time. Like Ken said it's dicey...the whole thing gets kinda woobly when those rivets are detached.

Shari

Old 11-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Quote:
Yes sir another axle coming up!! I just don't know if I will retain the srung axle or go torsion, any thoughts?
Oh my, I remember the last time we did a axel job in your driveway..Beer included in this one as well???

Tags