Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
$10k Budget, 3 month Frame-on '57 Overlander

After almost 3 years, we finally have the $$ to start our 1957 Overlander. Our budget is fixed; $10k. We have no trailer for the April 27th TCT rally in Tybee Island GA. (Globetrotter sold! That's how we're funding the Overlander )

The budget MUST stay under $10k (good bye on demand HW heater..). the trailer doesn't have to be finished for Tybee, just... aluminum-tent stage.

We started Feb 1 with a gutted trailer, and removed the subfloor, leaving about 10" around the perimeter. The last 3ft had a rotted floor. we'll need to do welding work to replace the last 2 crossmembers. The rest of the frame is still painted black and rust free, incredibly.

We are changing the layout from a twin to a captains bed in the back, wet bath forward of that, and dinette in front instead of gaucho.

Please stay tuned.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Best of luck! I'm doing a '63 Overlander with a rear full sized bed and center dry bath. Don't forget to post some pics!

Toby
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
What do you have in mind so far?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
truck,

we are doing rear queen 'captains bed', where it's turned sideways so one person still has to step over the other to go pee, but it saves room. in front of that is a wet bath; going to try something CRAZY. Im going to put a 32 x 36" shower pan in the HALLWAY. when not in use, it will be a step up to the bed. the 'lid' / floor / step will lift, becoming a wall, revealing the shower pan. this wil be the trickiest part. we will keep the kitchen in the same original area, fridge too, and do dinette instead of gaucho.

Today we ordered a grey tank - i tried to order 2 but VTS only had 1 in stock. i don't want to delay, so i'll re-use a fresh water tank from a 68 overlander as my 2nd grey tank. That's ok it saves me $200. We picked up a big fridge from a 70 sovereign from someone on the forums, which will will use also. (cost - free + shipping $175). I have the old stove from the 62 GT but hubby doesn't want an oven. So ill be on the lookout for a range -only. I want the oven so i might win that one. I also picked up a inverter from a salvaged 04 bambi on craigslist for $25.

Today we got most of the frame sanded / wire-brushed and painted. The welder will be working sunday and monday. We will finish frame tomorrow, remove lower panels of interior skin and start getting floor ready to be put in.

Pics to come.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Wow! That is crazy! I'm excited to see this one develop. I will be following closely.

Toby
Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
very very interesting…..
Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Design by process of elimination... Approved swatches for countertop and flooring. Top swatch is tesseract "clay" laminate for counter and dinette top (by lab designs). Bottom is TexTile VCT "lovely linen". background is the original wood shelf out of the 57. The trailer was gutted when we purchased it , but included a few tidbits, such as this shelf.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
This will be interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing the bath. You can do a lot with 10K and good shopping skills.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Here's my total spent so far, for the record;
1 greywater tank w 3 fittings, 3 new fantastic fans with the works, Butyl Tape, Trempro, VTS - shipping $924

New exterior lighting, electrical / city water inlet, shallow outlet boxes at VTS, plus shipping : $306

We are going to re-use a old freshwater tank from a 68 sovereign as an additional grey tank. it will stand vertical or horizontal under the kitchen counters. VTS only had 1 grey tank left, and with our deadline, we couldn't wait 3 weeks to put floor in. Saves us time & $$. I hate reaching far under the cabinet anyway. this will just make it shallower.

I picked up a used charger / inverter for $25 from a 2004 bambi on craigslist. its a single-stage charger... is it worth the extra $200+ to get these 3-stage?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Converter

There is a new Progressive Dynamics 9245 Converter on ebay for $135.00.
I would recommend a multi stage converter such as this as opposed to the single stage unit.
Just go to ebay and type this in: Progressive Dynamics 9245 Converter
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Progress

well, the snow has delayed us about a week. I wanted to have the floor done this weekend and the welder hasn't even come yet.

After removing old floor, over head cabinets and interior skin, i was able to replace almost all exterior lights, we wire brushed and painted frame, and have the floor cut to size.

Today we will poly the edges and do the template for the front and back curve. the boring parts
Old 02-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I'm stuck on the boring parts too. Did you guys get the welding done this week? It's been good weather at least.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
yep, we finished welding last week. note the reinforced step area. we hate the fold down vintage step and are rid of it! we beefed it up as it will take a lot of traffic and it was the biggest failed area before redoing the floor. we replaced the last 2 crossmembers and one outrigger.

we finished cutting the floor pieces on sunday. we got both curved ends correct & in on the first try! yipee!

we kept the frame -on due to being in the middle of a field... we first cut out most of the floor, leaving 10 - 12" to keep the shell up off the frame. we drilled out rivets in front and back and along one side to the wheel well, then put floor in and bolted her down and cleco'ed the shell back onto the C channel. then we moved to the back - removed back rivets and one side up to wheel well, inserted floor from outside in, and buttoned her back up. then dropped the rest of the belly pan on the other side to get to the elevator bolts on the outrigger near that side.

put in grey tank, and finished bolting 3 of 6 floor panels.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i also experimented with spraying truck bed liner on the exterior walls.

Our spartanette has a black coating inside the exterior walls to prevent condensation and for added soundproofing. Our friends' 53 has some of what looks to be the same material, expect its only used to hold the fiberglass in place.

We noticed with our 62 globetrotter that the places that were still painted got no condensation, while the areas we stripped and left exposed would get lots of moisture. So we well use the spray can 'truck bed liner' stuff from lowes on the inside of the exterior shell. our interior walls will be birch.

Also, once again departing from standard here, We ordered an automotive insulation product called EZ Cool.

A student did a senior project and it required him to test a number of insulations and his very scientific looking results are here: http://www.lobucrod.com/Sr%20Project%20Report1.htm

Additionally, As i further investigated Reflectix I found that it isn't actually an insulation, but a radiant barrier. reflectix on its own only provides an R value of 1. the insulating properties come from the air space between layers; with a manufacturer recommended minimum of 3/4". This is a really great article that probably warrants its own thread:
http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-b...diant-Barriers

Therefore, i am going to use one layer of this ezcool which reports R values of:

Down = 13
Horizontal = 9.6
Up = 8.1

Which ends up being cheaper than 2 layers of reflectix. I AM still going to put spacers behind it. also EZ cool offers a discount for rolls of 3+ and will do better on shipping if the actual cost is lower.

In the floor i will have 2 layers of 3/4" foam board for a combined R7 if memory serves.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
here's progress from last week:

Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Looking good. The EZ cool sounds promising, did you get it locally or is there an online vendor somewhere?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i got ezcool online here EZ Cool Automotive Insulation heat barrier and noise reduction for cars, trucks, classic cars, street rods and much more
Old 02-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Nice job, Lauren! I've got welding being done on mine this weekend. I'm reconstructing it to factory spec. I will probably slide a piece of Masonite in between the shell and frame and make a template that way.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
"Just to be Clear", Prodex and Reflectix are not the same thing . . . Reflectix is foil faced bubble wrap, Prodex is foil faced foam. And "ez cool" looks a lot like Prodex (however w/out a sample in my hands I can't tell if they are the same, just going off the photo and the description (which is "lacking" in my opinion))

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
EZ Cool does appear to be the same thing as Prodex. I'm still on the fence about the whole foil faced foam thing. If you read the fine print on Prodex it requires a 2 and a half inch air gap on BOTH side of it to achieve the full R-16 rating they claim. That size air gap is impossible inside an airstream wall on just one side let alone both. Otherwise my research is saying that it only has an R value of >1 with no air gap. Fiberglass Batt has an R value of 4-5 at a thickness of 1". So in theory you could realistically achieve an R value of 7-8 in a 1.75" thick airstream wall using fiberglass. I'm sure this has been debated hotly in other threads though. If anyone knows where that is I'd love to read what others have found and gain a better understanding of this subject.