Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bubble > 1955 - 1957 Bubble
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Save the Whales !!

. . . and you're doing your part, Robin. Congratulations on your Life of Riley daughter.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Robin, thanks so much for posting those pics of your new baby. She must be a CA built, right? (I think the shape of the wheel wells are that, and then I thought the CA built ones weren't 13-panel in the rear, but I could be wrong on that too.)

When I look at your pics, I immediately see how much better condition your exterior skins are than ours were. For one thing, no buckshot marks! And I don't think I saw any dents on your exterior. Also, it looks as though yours must have been used more recently than ours had been, it looks as though there is carpeting in there or something red anyway. From the looks of ours when we bought her, the interior looked as though she hadn't been used for a couple decades, at least.

I can't wait to see what you do with her.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Looks like a great project. Is the new one a humpback or a gray?

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
nice and where did you find the new bubble? cool. and what are the plans for rebuilding? Ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Back again

Sorry if it looked like I was not responding to the nice comments. My account here went dead and I got no msgs and could not post at all. Let me pick it up for you who are interested......

Got the new Bubble back home and the work begin. I fully expect this to be a BIG difference in starting condition...the first one was from high and dry Colorado. This one from low, wet, Florida.

The saga begins.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Not sounding too good, I was hoping yours would be in better condition than ours was -- as you well know, lots of work ahead. From the pics, yours looks much better than ours did on the exterior, anyway.

Deb
Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
The work continues..

This week pulled the wall panels, windows frames, AC, and the floor. Will do the belly pan in two sessions a couple days apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor 1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	182114   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor frame front.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	182115  

Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Robin, how does your frame look? From what I can see it looks to be in better shape than ours was. Also, your wheelwells look better -- ours were rusted and going away. Your belly pan looks cleaner (not as much mouse poo/insulation laying around).

Thanks for posting the pics.

Deb
Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
frame work

Hi Deb...The frame is in super good shape. I wire brushed it all this afternoon and POR'd it just a while ago. The belly pan has been cut off, leaving about 12" all around. I will insulate the floor with foam/aluminum sheeting 3" thick tomorrow. Then for three days polish. Then for two days insulate the interior and wire her up. In spare time I am going the clean, paint repair windows and install screens.
I had a new rear access door made by my local sheet metal shop I used some scrap 2024 aluminum I had laying around.....and it turned out GREAT. I am making up a few more out of 5052 to have as spare parts. The layout and planning was the hard part.

I need decorating help. I can't figure out the Zolatone colors for the interior end caps and the marmoleum flooring. I am going to go have a Turkey Sandwich now and ponder the problem. (If you don't know already, thats a "Wild Turkey" sandwich.)

By the way....I checked again...no shocks on the Bubble. As I was checking and painting I also found factory installed hydraulic lines for surge brakes like on the other Bubble.....eventhough, this one has electric brakes.

And....I found definite proof that sometime in the past it had major "surgery" in the front left corner. Nicely repaired, but there.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
On schedule

Frame POR'd. New floor in and secured.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	POR 3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	182215   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor boards 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	182216  

Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Wow, talk about moving fast! That is wonderful that your frame was in great shape, and you already have the POR-15 on. Having a good looking rear access door would be super since that's what will be in anyones face who will be following you. Ours, after I got a bunch of oxidation off, is fairly full of small dents. However, our spare tire will cover quite a bit of it, I guess. Do all Bubbles have spare tire mounts on the back? Does yours?

Don't know if you were kidding about the design help, but...........what I'd do is decide what color scheme you would like to have; go select a Marmoleum which has those general colors; from that Marmoleum, pull 2-3 colors out for the Zolatone (I forget whether the Zolatone has two or three colors -- ours had a different paint over top of the Zolatone).

That's strange that your Bubble(s) didn't have shocks, ours did, but it didn't really help us with the placement of the new ones because we went to a new axle (torsion).

I wonder what it was with these little babies, ours had "surgery" too -- she must have been wrecked all down the curb side (new skins) and then we discovered on the street side, front "quarter".

What type of floor did you put in? It looks as though you have already painted it. Great job.

Deb
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Rain delay

Did not finish the polish as planned due to rain. Around here the rain is the better choice. Will pick up the schedule tomorrow.

I almost lost it all due to a stupid mistake. I towed the Bubble without the safety lock pin in the coupler.....I never use one. I WILL FROM NOW ON!. I went over a small bridge near home and the bump caused the coupler to open and the trailer disengaged. All I had to consider safety...was an old rusty chain which I was on the way to replace with something reliable. Luckily it held and the trailer stayed behind the truck. It did do several wifferdills, but stayed upright and on the road. As it dragged the truck to a stop I was able to reconnect and recover ....somewhat. See the drag marks I left on the road...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drag marks from loose Airstream 2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	182417  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
WOW Robin that looks like time for clean shorts and a stiff beverage. Glad it turned out OK. Was it a fluke or does the coupler need replacing?
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
it's always good to get the best of a worst case scenario. I'm guessing you'll get a new jack out if the deal now. cheers and have a good finish of the week. ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Wowza! That's pretty scary!!! My friend had one come off & pass him down a hill. At least yours stayed behind you!! Glad it all work out ok!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Robin,

That is scary, and I know because that happened to us on our way home from picking up our Bubble, and we were traveling on an Interstate! I felt the bump and looked at my DH, asking him "What was that?" But, as I was asking, I noticed all of the color was drained from his face and he simply said, "It came off", enough said, I knew then and felt sick. We made it over to the side, but the hitch had gone up under our truck's bumper (3/4 ton, 4x4), so DH had to jack the back of our TV up and pull forward quickly to get it untangled -- all that with 18-wheelers speeding by, rocking everything, including us. We got off at the first exit, bought a new ball, rewired, and were one our way. We were very fortunate that day.

I'm glad to hear you and your Bubble were safe.

Deb
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #57
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Lucky!
I seem to remember you writing that you have never had any problems with the old 50s couplers. I guess everyone has a first time.
Lucky lucky lucky!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
I had hoped that no one would bring that up.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Did not finish the polish as planned due to rain. Around here the rain is the better choice. Will pick up the schedule tomorrow.

I almost lost it all due to a stupid mistake. I towed the Bubble without the safety lock pin in the coupler.....I never use one. I WILL FROM NOW ON!. I went over a small bridge near home and the bump caused the coupler to open and the trailer disengaged. All I had to consider safety...was an old rusty chain which I was on the way to replace with something reliable. Luckily it held and the trailer stayed behind the truck. It did do several wifferdills, but stayed upright and on the road. As it dragged the truck to a stop I was able to reconnect and recover ....somewhat. See the drag marks I left on the road...
Very scary, indeed. That happened to us with a SOB ... the coupler was still locked when we dug the tongue jack out from under our F150's bumper.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
It was like flying formation

When I saw the free floating Bubble in the mirror I was afraid to slow down...no matter how much I wanted to stop. I did not want the trailer under the back of the truck so I stayed off the brakes and watched the mirror and adjusted speed to have the trailer stay straight in tow while pulling us to a stop. I don't ever want to do that again.