Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bubble > 1955 - 1957 Bubble
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
more insulation and wiring tomorrow

Ted, the insulation is one layer of Prodex. Hoping not to become embroiled in the insulation arguments....you know, like tires, axles and batteries....I am now going with 2 inches of pink type modern insulation before the new skins and wiring.
What do you mean retired....under employed? I still do a full Citrus Grove operation in the Rio Grande Valley and a full Horse hay operation up here. Then there is the house stuff, the old car stuff, old airplane stuff, Typical paperwork stuff, maintenance of the place here (dumb, dumb dumb.....I have planted over 600 trees in the past three years during this draught and I have to hand water all survivors on a regular basis. I should retire!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
ribs are coated

Ribs are coated with a rubberized coating....same one I use to seal all interior seams. Hows your Cloud doing?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Ted, the insulation is one layer of Prodex. Hoping not to become embroiled in the insulation arguments....you know, like tires, axles and batteries....I am now going with 2 inches of pink type modern insulation before the new skins and wiring.
What do you mean retired....under employed? I still do a full Citrus Grove operation in the Rio Grande Valley and a full Horse hay operation up here. Then there is the house stuff, the old car stuff, old airplane stuff, Typical paperwork stuff, maintenance of the place here (dumb, dumb dumb.....I have planted over 600 trees in the past three years during this draught and I have to hand water all survivors on a regular basis. I should retire!
Well, then, you ARE a machine! My husband, who is a vegetable farmer, is bushed when he gets home! He helps me out on his down time, though. That's a lot of trees to prune & water, that's for sure! We have friends who have citrus down in Naples, FL. Lots o work!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Tornado Safe Room

Two days of hiding inside so I am working insulation and wiring. Got everyone inside the Red Barn....out of the hail but, like all else, no real protection against the Tornados around here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insulation continues 2.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	186266   Click image for larger version

Name:	insulation continues.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	186267  

Name:	Red Barn Tornado prep 2.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	186268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Barn tornado prep.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	186269  

Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
I was wondering how you survived the tornadoes, glad to hear you did.

Your work is moving along great! For insulation I'm still thinking of doing some of that spray on or paint on for the inside of the skins and then the Prodex/strips of foam board, I guess when I get to that point I'll decide then. (I'm also still considering the InsulShield Technology system that we use in the old cars; it works so well but is a little pricier.) I'm at the point on our Bubble where I must get the polishing done so I can seal the seams and then be free to work on the inside.

However, right now I'm having to meet an installation deadline for some of my drapery work -- Friday is the day; have the installer scheduled and can't wait to get this job (three rooms) installed so I can get on to fun things -- like working on our Bubble! Trouble is, the phone keeps ringing with more work, so I can't really see daylight to get on the Bubble again; not really complaining, but then...........

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Ted, the insulation is one layer of Prodex. Hoping not to become embroiled in the insulation arguments....you know, like tires, axles and batteries....I am now going with 2 inches of pink type modern insulation before the new skins and wiring...!
Also avoiding an argument, I am very pleased with using a second layer of prodex over the ribs as a thermal break. Too easy.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Interior skins

Initial fit. Sure enough, just duplicating the originals did not go smoothly. Just enough difference from the new floor and other work requires a lot of hand trimming.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	interior skins 2.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	186564   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior skins.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	186565  

Old 05-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
So, did you put the Prodex against the outside wall and the the 2" of pink to the inside and then the skins?
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Initial fit. Sure enough, just duplicating the originals did not go smoothly. Just enough difference from the new floor and other work requires a lot of hand trimming.
Those same panels gave me some trouble on my '63. I ended up setting against the wall and on the floor, then ran a sharpie 1/4" off the floor to mark the bottom edge. I finally got a good fit even though they are hidden behind the wrap around dinette.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
More tomorrow

Yes Bruce. Prodex on outer wall, then fiberglass then prodex again.

I am doing the same lean into the wall then mark 1/4 off the floor and trim. I am overly cautious of not cutting to much off, so I am in and out of the interior a lot. Time consuming.

Am trying to figure the wiring layout now.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
wiring

I find it very hard to lay out the wiring when the interior plan is entirely in my head. I have roughed out the dimensions...just that. So now as I put in the wiring, AC and DC, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it all. I continue.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wiring aft rt corner.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	187753   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring front street side.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	187754  

Name:	wiring street side low.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	187755   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring street side high.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	187756  

Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
First interior panels back in.

Got the first roof panel back in. Thanks for Clecos.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hey Robin!

I realize your polishing is done, but you might be interested in reading about a product I tried out today, I posted on our Bubble thread about it. It's "Wizard's Metal Polish" in a tin can. It worked fast and pretty well on the built-up corrosion on our '56.

If you have any info on this product, please share it with me, but so far, it has worked the best for me. I don't know if I have enough strength in my arms to get the polishers to work with the rouge bars, etc.

How are things going on yours?

Deb
Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Deb....I am up for trying anything. I'll let you know.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
panels and wiring and lights

Been busy with Ranch work. Hay is in....now back to the Bubble. Only one picture and its poor, but you can get an idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	panels new aft.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	188375   Click image for larger version

Name:	panels new and electric.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	188376  

Name:	panels 10.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	188377  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Well, I haven't been able to find a way to get this product to stay on a polisher disc, so I'm back to using the rouge bars. DH has a black bar he picked up at a car show a few years ago (also a white bar........I didn't even know he had these), so today I'm going to do the black, grey, see how that looks. If the black doesn't cut the corrosion, I'll go back to the 1500 grit wet sanding, then the grey, pink and white. DH thinks I need to save the "new" product for smaller things, but I still stand by what I said before -- you don't have to rub hard at all, just circular motion until it turns black, wipe off and buff with a clean cloth.

I am envious of the progress you are making, but so glad that you are ahead of us in that we can see the proper steps to take. I really am concerned that we'll skip something important and realize it too late. Your Bubble is looking so good!

Deb
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Texas heat slowing me up

The Mach 8 is here and going in today. I had a mess under the old AC which dictated some work and creativity....Cleaned , corrosion control, etc.

Then I had to work around the hole in the roof where the previous owner had a residential type stack placed above the toilet he had installed. I hate it...but, thats the way it goes. I have a great story about the solar panel/low profile /stainless fan I bought and planned for.....later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air conditioner prep.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	189176   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC drain hose.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	189177  

Name:	Fan exhaust inside.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	189178   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan exhust outside .JPG
Views:	180
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	189179  

Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #138
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
We love stories, can't wait to hear about the solar panel/low profile/SS fan.

I see in your one photo that you didn't paint an extended length of white on top, did you only paint the area where your ac will be mounted? (Trying to get tips for our use.) Also, saw your clear hose for the condensation on the ac, but it looks rather short. Does it attach up to another hose line which is mounted behind the insulation? (Needing tips here too.) You should know me by now -- always full of questions, trying to learn.

Also can't wait to hear what you think of the Mach 8's ability to keep up with the outside heat and noise level.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Deb
Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
progress

Mach 8 is installed. fishing the wires thru the new panel so I can install light fixtures and get ready for the re-rivet job.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
lots done

There has been a lot of progress...not that you could tell....Today the original axle has to go. Not because it's old....I like the spring types. It is the spindles. They are way to small for newer type brakes and hubs. So, like I did on Bub the Bubble....a new straight axle goes in today. I actually like the lift I now get from it. Pictures tonight.

Bought some Worthingtons from a Forum member and they, with the propane set up, are installed too.

Polished aluminum Battery box from Summit Racing also in place.

The new Mach 8 makes it a pleasure to work inside....beat the Texas heat.