Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bubble > 1955 - 1957 Bubble
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What do you think the bubble "dry" and tongue weight results were on 2/18/11?
2,054 lbs total 253 lbs tongue 4 33.33%
2,332 lbs total 312 lbs tongue 5 41.67%
2,560 lbs total 386 lbs tongue 2 16.67%
2,745 lbs total 390 lbs tongue 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Show 'em your guitar! I luv it.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #162
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
musicians thread on the forum

sure melodyranch, here's the link to the forum where somone was asking what instruments you're playing so i posted a pic. Click on the Goodall guitar sticky and it should direct you. James Goodall is my favorite guitar maker. cheers--ted
Airstream Forums - Search Results
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #163
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
Ted, I have never weighed my trailer and probably added 200-300 lbs. Ewe (Area 51) another buddy were ordering axles for 7 trailers. He order me a slightly heavier duty axle than the original (I do not know what it was). I did change the tires to load range E, which is a stiffer/heavier side walled trailer tire. I did notice a little difference. I have been everywhere and have not had any pulling or suspension issues. I also welded three steel plates,on each side, behind axle. They were about 10" long and boxed in the "C" channel to stiffen rear end a bit. My trailer sat out in the forest in Washington state for 30 yrs as a hunting cabin. It was all their, but very thrashed. I had to replace some flooring bath area and around door. While doing that I also welded in some extra framing to make it stronger. My trailer is in the Winter 2008 Airstream Life Magazine, if you want to see it. You might want to send some pics to Jody Brotherston at Airstream Life of your trailer. She is a designer and does articles on vintage redo's for the magizine. Your trailer is exceptional and should be in that magazine. All the best, Kenny
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #164
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Thanks Kenny. And I did take a look at your photos of your trailer. It looks Very nice! I'll have to subscribe to the magazine too. I'm currently rounding up all the gear for my tow vehicle so I can legally take the bubble to both the DMV and out to get some upholstery quotes. So it's time to wire in the brake controller and a new hitch, tranny cooler and light harness package. Again thanks for the kind remarks. Maybe I'll look up the designer when I'm finished. I'd really like to have the trailer ready for a couple weekend trips to the Oregon coast by late spring The maiden voyage will be pretty cool. Cheers
Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #165
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Still making some progress

Click image for larger version

Name:	custom airstream cabinet.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	120087 I thought I'd take a pic of my completed cabinet. I installed a small "simple human" stainless can ($31 bucks for trash?--but it does look like it belongs there) by remooving the liner and drilling two small screws through the base to the floor. It fits just right as I bought it before the cutout, it won't be banging around when traveling, and then i put black seal around the shelf cutout to keep things clean looking.

I also am making progress on the family Honda tow vehicle--I pulled the rear bumper off and fished an OEM Honda harness through and connected everything up to 3 internal jacks. The biggest tasks coming up are installing a tranny and power steering cooler, and an electronic brake controller. I'm waiting to get the final trailer weight before I consider setting up the vintage volvo as a car show tow vehicle. I do have both sides of the trailer brakes installed now--so the bubble will be ready to go down the road (as soon as I get the Honda done) to get an upolstery quote. cheers friends--ted
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #166
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Honda Odyssey Light Wiring Diagram for Tekonsha brake controller hookup

Honda Odyssey light wiring diagram pdf.pdf Just for the next guy who is putting a brake controller on Honda Odyssey--I had the Honda dealership email me a proprietary diagram for my 2005 model install. So when you hook up the brake controller in your cabin: The correct wire to grab that is the "cold" side (only gets power when the brake switch is activated) is the white and black wire. connect this to the tekonsha--prodigy 2 brake controller "red" red-stop light wire. The brake switch harness is right where you'd expect to find it--right above the brake pedal! And for the rest of you--i found that the dealerships have easy access to all of these diagrams which I wasn't able to find online--so that may help you in the future too. All the best. ted

ps--I found etrailer.com to be a great asset too as they have hundreds of install videos and help pages.

pps--a friend of mine is rebuilding a cool unadultered vintage 73 chevy suburban that I'm going to be twisting his arm for a classic tow trip sometime
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #167
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Ted,

Are we talking about a honda odyssey tow vehicle? How many family member fit in a bubble?

Looks great. I am down to the frame on mine. Was cutting out plywood tonight for the floor. I can't wait to get to where you are.

Matt
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #168
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Double Bubble

yes matt--the bubble will hold my sweet daughter Lila in the dinette bed, the wifey and I get the bed in the back--and the 2 boys get a tent! When the boys and I go out for the men's getaways--it will be an easier fit. I figured that I wanted to rebuild a trailer that will be just the right size after the kids are away and in college (I kind of laugh and scratch my head at all my friends who finally finish their 4000 square foot homes...."Mc-Mansions" just in time for them to be completely empty?), one that could be towed with a classic car, and one that would appreciate with age. A flying cloud would probably be the perfect all around trailer size--but i found the bubble right next door in portland and coudn't pass on it. At the same time I'm man enough that I can drive a loaded swagger waggon without feeling like a whimp. Remember --I still have a cool 64 vintage volvo, vespas, and a 1980 beater toyota truck for winter driving. Convincing yet? cheers!--ted
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #169
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
We just sold our odyssey so we could tow the flying cloud. The new (used) navigator is nice and powerful, but the odyssey is hands down the most convenient car we have owned to date. They have perfected the family car.

You need to make a YouTube video of people coming out of the bubble. Like the old days when they used to pack as many people in a volkswagen bug. I think I had 13 people in my 69 vw. By that standard you should be able to get at least 30 in the bubble.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #170
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Oregon Plate Question, Electric brake test, AND PROBLEM DISCOVERED In BUBBLE LAND

Click image for larger version

Name:	bubble and honda.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	121130
Hello friends,
Do any of you know if you are allowed to use a vintage plate as a special interest plates for a vintage trailer like classic cars? I have an original "pacific wonderland" 1964 plate for my volvo and would love to get a 56 plate for my bubble if they would allow. Let me know what you know.

PROBLEM DISCOVERED--Well i discovered that now.... all but one trailer light worked aaaaaaahhhhh! after the arduous task of refitting the tow vehicle with alot of new parts, a new umbilical and junction box in the trailer--man that was a sinking feeling because a day before everything worked fine.
My TROUBLESHOOTING: So I took a piece of 12 gauge piece of wire and jumped it from the battery to the tail/clearance light terminal in my junction box (a great reason to put that box near the battery instead of outside or under the trailer) --i got a nasty shower of sparks and new that something was getting grounded out. So after little investigation I discovered the problem. I found that when I fed the new brake wire from the junction box--through the floor--though the belly pan--through a rubber grommet--and back under the trailer--i pulled one light wire loose that was located near the same spot I was coming down through that linked up and went back to my rear left tail light. I was so happy to see a loose wire because i could actually access it. So a new crimp job and heat shrink. whew--all is well again.

In the process of hooking up the lights with this hot tail light wire laying on the belly pan I blew both 7.5 fuses in the honda wiring harness and aux fuse box up front. I guess they did their job. All is now fine in Bubble land tonight. All the lights do what they are supposed to do!--I can sleep well!

TEST RUN: So after that I pulled the bubble out for a test run with the new electric brakes and prodigy brake controller installed, a couple new saftey chain hooks . i set the controller on level 6 and then increased to 10 to get a good grab without locking up. That's pretty cool. I can't wait to weigh the trailer to see if I can pull it with my vintage volvo. The tongue doesn't look heavy on the honda so I'm hoping for 250-275 lbs max. that would be great.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #171
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
We wanted to get one of the special designer plates but could only get the ugly school bus yellow one. I would think the state would be money ahead letting us pay extra for the fun plates.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #172
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I don't know about there, but California doesn't make it easy, but it is possible. From what I learned, everything has to match up. The year the plate was released has to match the year the trailer first sold. It has to be a number that was issued to a trailer. This is all hear say and could be totally wrong. But I'm going with it until corrected otherwise.

I'm rooting you on with that odyssey! Nothing beats a roadtrip in a car that has 13 or so cupholders!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #173
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Each state has different laws regarding historic or year-of-manufacture plates. I just picked up a 1959 AZ trailer plate and had it bead blasted after I found out on the AZ Dept. of Transportation that this number is available. I'm going to repaint it this week and give it a go with one of those title registration places my Neighbor has used and recommends. As long as his name isn't Peggy like the guy from US Prime Credit, I hope to get this done. LOL

Good job on the trailer wiring fix. Sparks bad.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #174
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Guess my weight---You know my age: 1956 Bubble

hello friends,
I licensed the bubble a week ago and and went out for a road test and also went to my friends agricultural scales to weigh in. So i thought it might be interesting for you to make a guess so I set up a poll on top of the page for fun. This is a dry weight in the bubble's current build state. I thought i'd get a weight even though i'm not done yet (upolstry, curtains/blinds remain to be done...i.e. saved $ for). cheers. ted
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
She's looking good and glad you were able to troubleshoot the light problem.

Are you going to polish her or are you going for the patina look?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #176
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Thanks mike. I'm planning to use the trailer as soon as I'm done with the general rebuild so the exterior won't get any immediate attention.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #177
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
And the winners of the poll are everyone who estimated the bubble dry weight at 2332 lbs and a tongue weight of 312. I was hoping to be closer to 2000 even though the original bubbles weighed around 1800 lbs but no luck. I realize the extra Weight is due to the woodie clad interior, a several hundred extra rivets, the built to last cabinetry, larger trailer tires, and the honking battery for 12 vt supply. So now I'm sure I won't want to tow with my vintage Volvo. I think it would be too much on the clutch and 4 cylinder push rod engine. I originally was going to build a teardrop but ended up finding the bubble while I was in the planning stages. Anyway our Honda tows it easily. Have a good day. I'm in the middle of completely rebuilding a gutted bathroom in our craftsman home so I have to put a hold on the trailer. Cheers
Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Craftsman home? I want pictures too.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #179
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Craftsman homes...our favorite.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #180
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot
Craftsman homes...our favorite.
Yes we live in a 1910 craftsman they really new how to make function of space while keeping beauty in mind. I just gutted a bathroom last weekend so I'll show you a couple before and after pics when I'm done. I may not be posting much on my thread for a while until I find some money for upolstery. You have any extra!

Tags
1956, bambi, bubble, craftsman, custom, mission, rebuild, restoration