Old 06-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Polishing is going on again slowly. I can only do about 3-4 hours at a time and still be able to do anything else -- fingers are stiff; forearms extremely sore and back/legs the same. Monday I polished for a total of around 6 hours, and Tuesday I couldn't hardly move -- worked in the garden some and did other minor things, but I felt as though I could have slept all day! This polishing is very hard work. I think for me it is trying to apply enough pressure that is the difficult part. I am using the black rouge bar to cut through the corrosion and am getting close to having the street side done with that step (including that side of the front and rear endcaps), but still have all the other colors to go through. I think by the time I'm finished, I'll look about like Popeye or Bluto in the arms!

It is tricky too..........don't try to over reach because if you get too close to a window or seam, it can throw you. Also, getting up and down off of the ladder to "clean" out the wheel every 3-4 load-ups of the rouge bar takes quite a bit of time, in my opinion, although it is a welcome break for the sore muscles.

I don't know how I'm going to get to the top of this girl, DH said he'd probably be able to do it, but he has been busy with another project and unable to get to it. Also, I want to paint the very top of the Bubble with that white "paint" to help with heat, so I'm not certain if all of the corrosion must be off to use that? Does anyone know about this?

I'll have to go through some others' threads to find out how to remove all of the old seam "goo" so that when she's polished, I'll be able to reseal all of the seams.

I still have to paint the rear bumper/tongue/step and had fully planned to use POR-15 silver, but we were told that since most of our metal was new and not rusty, we'd have to use the POR etching paint also, making it a 3-step process and DH thought we ought to use something less involved. I say 3-step because we were told that the silver does have to have a top coat of something to protect it against UV, don't know if that's correct, but that's what we were told.

I really wish I had been keeping some sort of a spreadsheet or a list of things which either I've read about here on the Forums or someone has been nice enough to share info on, but, alas, I haven't and now I have to try to go back and remember where and when all of this information came from! I did save some threads in my "favorites", but not all of them. I know that most people, when doing a project, after it's completed wish they'd done this or that differently, but I'm really concerned about skipping an important step. I know we could go back and do it, but if it means removing the interior skins again, would we really do it!? And I'm so particular, it would drive me nuts if we didn't.

On a lighter note.............Mr/Mrs Shacksman are coming to driveway camp with us again in about a week, and we are looking forward to visiting with them again.

Still don't have a new all-in-one, but plan to go out looking either tomorrow or Friday, and as soon as we get one, I'll post some pics.

As I've stated before, if anyone has any thoughts, please share.

Deb

Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
did the Wizard cut thru corrosion? I mean corrosion is the swirly little spots that are almost white and can be all over the skin. Not just grey, dull old stuff.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I can't say for certain. It did get rid of marks from the PO's tarp which had been on it for who knows how long in the burning sun on the prarie, just baking, but it did take a little more elbow grease for that. But, even at that, I think that's wonderful because the 1500 grit wet sanding was having a difficult time with that burned-in mess.

DH used some 1000 grit wet sanding before, and felt it left too many scratches, and as I think I mentioned before, the 1500 grit wore out too soon. Last night he used 1200 grit and said it got through the burned-on mess better. A huge problem was the numbers and the "ghost numbers" which remained even after sanding. It took two or three sandings to remove the "ghost"; someone else probably won't see them, but we can almost -- we know where they are tho.

I used some of that Wizard's in the metal can (very important you get the correct one because not all of the products work as well) around a couple of windows where the wheel and pad(s) could not get. Same as I said before, first use just wipe in circular motion until it gets really black. Wipe that off and reapply using just a little more pressure; buff a little with a clean cloth -- it's amazing how shiny it will be! Note: I don't know if using a circular motion when applying is the correct thing to do, but that's what I did. I'd say make your own decision as to how to apply it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	192139  
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Well, I hit "reply" too soon, as I was planning to explain what this is a picture of. On the bottom section, where you can see my brown top, is where I used the Wizard's in the two-step method I mentioned above with a light buffing with a clean cloth. On the skin just on top of that one is one that my DH had used I think light sanding and a couple of other polishes he wanted to try, as well as buffing with a clean cloth, but he definitely spent more time on it. To me, I can see a world of difference.

Please note: As is easy to see, none of this is finished work, it all needs to have much more polishing done. We have just about gotten all of the oxidation off of her, and now we (I) will do the rest, that is all that I can reach.

Deb
Old 08-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I have one thing to say about polishing.......it stinks!

Well, you can see what I think of polishing! Ok, not really, I think ours is just in such a bad state because it was probably never polished before in its life. It seems to have some pitting going on, and I don't know if we'll ever be able to get it all off or not.

This is/was a beautiful weekend in Ohio -- wish we could have gone camping! It did rain Friday night into Saturday morning, but then cleared and wallah -- blue sky and extremely low humidity, a rarity for Ohio this time of the year, I actually turned off the ac!

I did some more polishing today and am attaching several more pics. One is from last weekend when DH was on a plank which ran from the deck to a tall ladder and was wet sanding with 1200 and then 1500 grit hook and loop paper. I think you can tell where we've done what to in the pictures.

Today, just for "fun", I tried the pink bar on an area where DH had been sanding last weekend; I wanted to see what the pink bar would do. Well, it didn't do a lot, as DH said, it looks as tho the skin had a bad complection in the past. I believe the pink bar must be the final rouge bars to use.

I wiped it down with mineral spirits and tried the Nuvite F-9 and then the "C"; I didn't buy the F-7, maybe I should have. I think I mislabeled these in another thread about polishing when I stated what I had been using. Well, it does get very confusing when I think of what all we have purchased to polish with: rouge bars from Jestco (a kit); Nuvite; Busches polish; Wizards -- several different products; Flitz; Lucas Metal Polish, and I think there is another one too, not to mention the various grits of sandpaper. Our friends were kidding us and said that if anyone needs some metal polished, our house is the place to go. All kidding aside, is that a little sad!? We have really been trying to get this done.

Inaddition to doing the polishing between rainy days, I have been cleaning out the seams with CitriStrip and a few tools we have accumulated to get that job done.

I now know, thanks to TOP, that I need to order a tool to get the built-up oxidation and the Nuvite product off of the wool pads, so I'm sort of "dead in the water" until that tool arrives. I think we are going to have to build another barn just to house all of the tools and products which we have purchased to use on our AS's -- and, while we're at it, it might as well be tall enough and large enough to drive in one end and out the other -- a pull-through barn! That is a dream of mine!

Well, that's all for now -- the grill should be ready and we're having quesadillas on the grill and some leftover green/yellow wax beans/ham/yukon gold potatoes from our garden, which we had yesterday. Strange combination, but hey, I'm tired and if we get done eating in time, I'm going out to mow until dark. DH painted a barn roof this afternoon, so I imagine he's too beat to help with the mowing this time.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	192450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1023.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	192451  

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	192452  
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Mowing, painting, polishing....sounds like my world.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #119
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
You are making fantastic progress! The hard work really shows!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Robin, I guess those of us who live out in the country always have a ton of things to do, as well as the ton of things we want to do! Sometimes it's a little hard to keep up.

Sum 75, thank you for that, I needed it. I feel as tho we've been spinning our wheels and getting no where. I really want to get it polished and everything sealed up (seams, windows, etc.) before moving it out from under the make-shift, tarp-covered overhang to start on the interior, but I just about can't stand the wait. I have so many ideas of possibilities for the interior, but can't begin any of them yet. The way I'm looking at it now, as long as I get the old interior skins off, scrub it all down, insulate, run wires, run a condensation hose for the ac, and hang the new interior skins before cold weather, then I feel I can run an electric ceramic heater in there during winter to work on the rest of the interior. Having said all that, I'd still like to get on it.

Deb
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I'm dumb....slap some sense into me

Well, up till now I never had a problem with Ghost numbers......I just polished what I had. I see you had the problem and it sounds like your done with the ghosts...I hope. So, now I have the problem. As though the Bubble was not enough to keep me busy....with the delay during the time my Friend was here and recuperating from the broken leg.....I had to much time on my hands and I found another 56 needing a home. It has ghosts, so I am into that problem as well as the interior of the Bubble. It never ends.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
OMG, Robin, how exciting!! Is it the '56 22' Flying Cloud I think I saw on your Avitar?

Well, I found out (many thanks to Beckybillrae) that some of the remaining "scratches" after the F9, F7 and "C" (Nuvite) were actually swirl marks, so when I get some time, I'm hoping to finish up the polishing. I was just about going nutty not knowing how to finish the polishing since I kept getting these fine scratches. I hadn't seen swirl marks in person, so I just didn't know. Oh well.

Time's been at a premium for us lately, DH always works long hours, and my work is going crazy, even tho I have tried to cut back, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to work on the Bubble for a couple months. I'm really disappointed. (We also have my Dad living with us, has been for almost 7yrs. now, and since he's going to be 97 in Nov., I am doing more for him as time goes on.)

I can't wait to see/hear more of your Bubble work and then this new "56! Looking forward to all that!

Deb
Old 01-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #123

1956 16' Bubble
San Luis Obispo , California
Rebuilt a '56 Bubble early 2000's. Removed almost everything; cabinets, toliet, bed, floor, axle, just about everything except the little wooden magazine rack. Redesigned entire floor plan with bath (shower,wash basin, shower pan, etc) in the street side rear; kitchen area midship on street side; main bed front under front window; 2nd bed curbside midship. All electrical under front bed. On demand propane hot water heater under kitchen sink; 24 gal freshwater tank under front bed, black and grey water tanks under floor (3/4"plywood) from midship to rear. Fuse box and converter under front bed along with small steel safe bolted to frame. Rebuilt/reinforced frame & step; new window glass with 3M plastic film on inside; wood blinds. Rear compartment closed off from main portion with opening in rear only. Laminate blond wood floors; 12volt frig; solar collector on roof. (I have some pictures somewhere I could send you.)
About $20K + original cost of $6 or $8K I forget which. Oh, eliminated drop axle for straight for more ground clearance; electric brakes with controller in truck; reworked tongue and put 2 12Volt batteries on tongue along with 30 gal propane tank and electric jack and spare tire. The weight now is about 3200 lbs. but tows nicely and stops quick.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #124

1956 16' Bubble
56 Bubble

I forgot couple of things: kitchen counter top stainless steel; walls of bathroom aluminum; kitchen drawers sheet metal with cherry wood stained front; propane ship's Force 10 2-burner stove top and space heater. Didn't do much cosmetically outside - looks like trailer trash, unshined, have awning but never put it up. Good luck - took me and the elves 2 yrs and al lot of Martini Fridays to get it done. Jw
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi JW! Thanks so much for sharing, and I'd love to see some pics if you have them!

You didn't mention where you placed the frig and what size it is. That is one of the big "?'s" for us, or rather, one of the hold-ups, as there are only a couple of places to place a taller frig.

We considered the street side rear for the bath, but that's when we had been thinking about placing the bed on the opposite wall (curb side), and with the wheelwell on the street side right there, we couldn't come up with a good location for the door to get into the bath. How did you do it with a bed across from it?

Work on our baby is on hold as it is soooo cold here this winter, and the only high door we have on our shop is also where DH has his auto lift, which takes up a great deal of space in that area -- leaving only about 6" along the sides.

I can't tell you how excited I am to see some of your pics and am so appreciative that you posted some information.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 01-19-2014, 12:47 AM   #126

1956 16' Bubble
Bubble floor plan

Deb and all:
Not sure how to post pics but if u can go to my profile pg n send me personal email, i will email pix; in the meantime try to follow this:
1. Open door n step in. Immediately to you rt is main bed; about wide and long as twin. This is across the width, under front window.
2. U R now facing the frig..and st side window.
3. Turn to your left. Next to frig is kitchen counter, sink, stove top.
4. Butting up against counter top at edge of stove top is Al wall of bath.
5. Continuing toward rear of trailer, to immediate Rt is bathroom-shower door.
It's a regular glass shower door, privacy is casual, as door glass is covered with decals of whatever came along. A third of the rear window is "in" the bathroom, n is also decals.
6. Do an about face, turning to face the front again. To your Rt is "couch/spare bed. It is about as wide as a sleeping bag. Underneath are two large storage drawers. At the top or forward end of this bed, you are back at the entry door.

This is prob confusing so send email address for pix. Oh, frIg is a 12 volt only from Backwoods. Added extra insulation and a biscuit fan for circulation plus a vent behind condenser area n frig uses very little electric.
Hope this helps. JW

Tags