Old 03-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Sum75............well, my face is red! I followed your link, and that looked very familiar. I walked in to look over what came with my Jestco kit for Airstreams, and I think that attachment came with it. I had no idea what that was for, and there is another bolt or something which I don't know what it's for either.

Our grinder that we were planning to use for the buffing came from Harbor Freight too. I received a PM from someone else who said to be careful because with the one we purchased, it could get too hot and ruin the aluminum. That's definitely something I want to avoid.

Robin, 1) When using the wool pads, is it difficult to get the "bricks" of polishing compound from Jetsco to go off onto the wool pads? 2) Where do you purchase your wool pads? We were surfing the net last night trying to find some. Also, are you saying you wool pads are hook and loop?

The grinder we bought from Harbor Freight is an orbital one, and is variable speed, and it does have that side mounted handle.

The kit we received from Jetsco didn't have colored pads, there were two large, 8" diameter, thick ones, and four, small 4 1/4" diameter, thinner ones -- all were white in color. I'll have to have DH read this as I'm certain he'll understand what the various tools are.

Thanks to both of you.

Deb
Deb, a grinder is typicaly 10,000 - 12,000 RPM. A polisher runs 600 - 3500 RPM. That second bolt is used to attach the pads to the adapter you have. You will be useing this kind of set up and polishing with the edge of the wheel. The polish goes on to the pad with a second of touching it to the spinning pad. http://www.caswellcanada.ca/shop/pro...&cat=95&page=1
I'll show you how it works if you get to the Ohio rally next week.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Doug,

Great, we'll take you up on the polishing demonstration, I just hope we'll be able to come. We'll bring our supplies.

We went back to Harbor Freight tonight and picked up another polisher, this one is: 7" variable speed polisher/sander and says it works in the 200 to 3,350 RPM range.

One thing about the kit we ordered and received, DH came home and said the adapter was the wrong size for the machine we had here (also from HF).

I know I'll probably regret saying this, but I am so excited about starting the buffing/polishing, I just can't stand it. Someone please remind me that I said this when I'm whining about my arms and back being so sore I can't move.

Deb

Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Doug,

I know I'll probably regret saying this, but I am so excited about starting the buffing/polishing, I just can't stand it. Someone please remind me that I said this when I'm whining about my arms and back being so sore I can't move.

Deb
That will happen, so don't be so quick to get started.
You will also need ear, eye, and nose protection from all the black oxcide it will throw off.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Long sleeves shirt, old pants, a hat, gloves and a paper face mask. Plan on a mess in the washer when you clean things. As I said about the wool pads...I soak things to be cleaned in TSP, usually overnight. When your done throw the cloths away...it is the easiest.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I started buffing/polishing the rear compartment door today -- wow, am I ever sore! I was amazed at how the minor dents show up when the oxidation is removed and a shine is on there! I kept using mineral spirits to remove the black which seemed to find every indentation to get into, and I changed towels, but more and more black just kept coming onto the towels. Is there a trick to getting it all off? At what point do I stop trying to get it, when the towel doesn't show anymore black?

I have to admit that we don't know what "TSP" is, Robin, could you please let me know what it is, is that the entire name, and where do you pick it up? Thanks.

Buffing/polishing the compartment doors is tricky -- you must be very careful when getting close to the outside edges as the wheel will catch the flange and try to flip the door. You must watch the direction the wheel is rotating in as to how you are turned.

The new stainless steel wheelwells have been fabricated, welded by my DH, and one is in place with clecos holding it against the exterior skin along with the wheelwell trim, awaiting the rivets. That stainless steel is not easy to drill holes into for the rivets!!! The drill bits were bending, so they used the hand drill to make indentations and then took the wheelwell to the drill press for the drill through. Whew, I was taking some ribbing about being the one pressing for the stainless steel wheelwells. (I felt strongly that they needed to be as hefty as possible to avoid damage (if possible) if there should be a blowout.)

Our friend worked on mounting the new shocks this week -- he had fabricated the new top shock mounts and had them in place, and I think today he finished mounting the shocks.

We forgot to take the camera, but we took a few pics with my phone, if I can figure out how to download them to here, I'll do so.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Deb
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
polish away

Sounds like your having fun.
TSP Tri Sodium Phosphate. Home depot, ACE, Lowes, any paint store will have it. It comes in a box and dissolves in warm water.
I am in full cleanout mode. Floor replaced this week, windows/screens next week, misc. in the interim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panels after clean out 2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	182082  
Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
I started buffing/polishing the rear compartment door today -- wow, am I ever sore! I was amazed at how the minor dents show up when the oxidation is removed and a shine is on there! I kept using mineral spirits to remove the black which seemed to find every indentation to get into, and I changed towels, but more and more black just kept coming onto the towels. Is there a trick to getting it all off? At what point do I stop trying to get it, when the towel doesn't show anymore black?

Deb
Deb, if you have black left on the trailer you don't have it quite right yet. It should be all over you. If you are using the rouge bar method, it will clean the black off for you. Apply the rouge in short 1 second touches to the pad as it is spinning and every 4 or 5 times you do this hold a wire brush against the spinning pad and it will clean the black off the pad. It does throw it all over you and you need to protect from it. I had to put in a shower in my workshop just for when I polish. When you get it right the pad will pick up all the black and leave a clean surface.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks Doug, I guess I have a lot to learn, but I'll get there. I didn't realize you needed to clean off the pads as often as that. Also, when I touch the rouge bar to the wheel, it doesn't look as though there is much on the pad, but then again, it must be there and I just can't tell.

Deb
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks Doug, I guess I have a lot to learn, but I'll get there. I didn't realize you needed to clean off the pads as often as that. Also, when I touch the rouge bar to the wheel, it doesn't look as though there is much on the pad, but then again, it must be there and I just can't tell.

Deb
Too much plugs up the wheel. It takes very little polish to work.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
A quick update to say that we haven't had much spare time for working on the Bubble lately; DH has been putting in a lot of extra time at work, actually he's there now and was yesterday also.

After he returned home yesterday afternoon, we worked on stripping paint, sealer, some ancient type of nasty, nasty glue which almost wouldn't come off, and black gunk which looked like Blackjack, or something from our window screen frames. This morning I am buffing/polishing them and cutting new screen and finishing them off so that this afternoon we can go to our friend's shop and install them. I must say again, this is a lot of tedious work which takes a great deal of time and effort! It will be so worth it in the end, but just getting there is going to be a challenge. When you think you have something done and can move along to another, something pops up which you hadn't considered before and it's like hitting a wall. I must say, after working on buffing/polishing I don't have any trouble getting to sleep and sleeping well through the night -- the problem really is staying awake until bedtime!

Someone also painted the inside of the rear compartment door, so this am I'm stripping that also so they can install it soon too.

I'll post more pics later this week as we received notification that we had used 75 percent of our data usage for the month.

One wonderful thing about today here in Ohio, even though it is overcast and calling for rain off and on for the next five or so days, the temp is up into the 60's hurray!!

Deb
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
We are neck and neck

I know the feelings you mention....especially TIRED.
I will do my screens and windows later this week. I use bronze screen.

The inside of the rear door was originally painted Zolatone. Have fun stripping it. I had three rear doors made up. I had to remove the one on Babs (my #2 Bubble) for replacement....and I had to drill out the rivet line below it so I could install my belly pan. By the way, take the rear

door apart and put some insulation inside...It all makes a difference.

Rain put me off schedule this week. I am finishing up the belly insulation today..A problem with removing the old surge brake hydraulic lines so I could slide the insulation sheets into place.

Beautiful day here....time for a street cruise in the Nomad.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Robin, thanks for the tip on insulating the inside of the rear compartment. I wish I had taken you up on gettng one made when you did yours recently -- after I cleaned it up, it has a lot of small dents. But then, I guess not too many people will see it as the spare tire will cover most of that up.

I don't know anything about bronze screening, does it hold up well? We had a local hardware store go out-of-business last year, and we stopped in and bought a bunch of steel screening, etc. which we thought we could use.

I have to look around for gasket for the two compartment doors, I suppose VTS will have it.

Your Nomad -- I'm jealous! We were watching the vintage auto auction on tv the other day and there was a Nomad on there, really nice. Frank just about has our 1950 GMC five-window truck ready for paint, that's what we're going to tow our Bubble with, can't wait for that. We sold our '36 Ford year before last, expecting to have something else ready to drive, but I guess we jumped the gun and now are feeling the pain of no old car/truck to drive. Live and learn I guess.

Deb
Old 04-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Another weekend, another opportunity to work on Lily. This past week we ordered all of the exterior lights and they are LED, just waiting for them to arrive. We really like the scare lights; our '99 doesn't have any outside light like that and we miss having one; we decided we were going to put one on the little girl, so I ordered one of those as well.

I called VTS and ordered gasket for the compartment doors. They didn't have any which was specific for those doors, but they had some which they thought might work, so we'll give it a try when it comes. I ordered a new stainless steel door latch (used to keep door open when parked), well, actually this is the second one we recently ordered. After thinking about it, we ordered the second one to try to use to keep the steps in place while running down the road.

I tried to order some more Trempro in silver, but they were sold out, so awaiting news that it has come in.

I have a few pics from last weekend I'll try to post. One is of the street side new wheelwell (stainless steel) and one shows our first window which was reinstalled. Also, I took a pic of one of the wheelwells (exterior) with the wheelwell trim and surrounding skin in place.

I am a little concerned that the end of the rub rail looks (in the picture) as though it is open, and wondering if we should do something to seal that up.

Scheduled work for today is to reinstall the remaining three windows/screens. This past week I cleaned up two of the rain guards which were removed, so hopefully they'll be able to get those on too.

This week we had the pleasure of having "Shacksman" stop by after the Wooster Rally, and they camped here on our property for a couple of days. We had some good conversations and learned a lot from them.

Doug showed my DH what he is using on his AS for a tongue jack (I think that's what they're called) and I believe it is hydraulic, so now we're on a quest to find one of those.

I'm hoping to be able to start work on the interior soon. Thanks for following and have a great weekend. (After having 80 degree temps here recently, this weekend we are supposed to get down into the 30's at night; calling for hard frost here tonight and I think I heard possible snow flurries in northern Ohio this weekend. Burrrrr, and this is April!?)

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lilys windows1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	183114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys windows2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	183115  

Name:	Lilys windows3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	183116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys windows4.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	183117  

Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi all, sorry for the time lapse, but life seemed to get in the way.

Anyway, I am so excited about something I found today and wanted to share it with everyone. It is "Wizards Metal Polish", says it "cleans, shines, protects". It comes in a small, metal "tin" can like bandaids used to come in with the click-on lid. Cost was around $12-$13 dollars, and was told it goes a long way; I bought their last can of it. I was skeptical, but decided to try it anyway. We bought some Wizards product (liquid) at an old car swap meet a couple of months ago, but it didn't work out as touted. I forgot to mention that I was at a local auto paint store buying paint for our '50 GMC 5-window pick-up truck, and started talking with them about Scotch Brite pads, etc, etc, one thing led to another and wallah, I walked out with this product!

Got home, was putting groceries away and couldn't wait to get out there to give it a try. Didn't even change my clothes because I didn't really think it would work. I broke off a small piece, had on rubber gloves and applied it in a circular motion until it turned really black. Used a clean cloth to wipe off, then another clean cloth to shine and it had cut through the decades of corrosion!! It still wasn't super shiny, so I repeated, and it really worked up a shine. I am wondering how a Cyclo polisher and Nuvite for the final polish would look, I don't have a Cyclo yet, but I will.

I called the paint store to thank them, again, and to relate the success story, told them I would be needing more, and they said they'll have more next week.

I am so excited. Can't wait to post pics; I did take them after each step, but when I came in to post, I remembered our all-in-one broke, or rather someone lifted the lid incorrectly and broke off a piece of the hinge so it won't work. DH has been researching for the best one for the price, so I might have to go after one if he doesn't come up with something soon.

Polishing has been the problem child for us in the process. I have to get it cleaned up and polished so I can seal the seams in order to move on to the interior -- don't want the new sub-floor ruined!

Since this has been done without the use of a machine, I can see that if I do it all the same way, my arms are going to be hurting beyond belief. I'm wondering if I can somehow, by applying enough pressure have a small piece of this "product covered cottonish fabric" -- don't really know what to call it -- laying on a clean polishing wheel instead of having to do by hand, I may try that. Certainly the polishing can be done that way instead of using a clean cloth.

Well, I'm off to change my clothes and get out there to get to work! I feel like I've been given a gift, and I guess in a way I have and I will be able to move on to the next step in Lily's renovation.

Hoping everyone has a great weekend.

Deb

Tags