Old 03-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks to both of you, Doug and Robin.

Doug, you make that look so easy! You have really worked out a good way to repaint those name plates, and I am going to do it just that way. I enlarged the pic, but I couldn't read what shade that is you use, would you mind telling?

Robin, thanks so much for the link on ebay.............I have to admit, I forgot to search there. I'm going to figure out how much we'll need, and get it ordered -- lately it seems there's always something else that needs to be ordered! But, she's not going to get done without it, that's for certain.

Thanks again to both of you.

Deb

Old 03-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
This is a late edit, but I was rereading my earlier post talking about reinforcing to carry the weight of the new AC unit, I said reinforce the "skins", I meant to say "ribs", so sorry about that. I think I've mentioned before, we've had quite a few lower ribs just fall to the floor when removing skins, meaning, those ribs aren't really carrying the weight from the ceiling, they're just reinforcing the skins, I guess. When replacing them, we're anchoring them in better so they'll carry more weight.

Deb

Old 03-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Thanks to both of you, Doug and Robin.

Doug, you make that look so easy! You have really worked out a good way to repaint those name plates, and I am going to do it just that way. I enlarged the pic, but I couldn't read what shade that is you use, would you mind telling?

Thanks again to both of you.

Deb
It doesn't have a color name on the can, it's a dark blue Fusion for plastic spray that I happened to have and it stands up real well on the aluminum.
Just don't use to much, it looks better to me to be a little thin as it looks more authentic.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks, and I'll try to remember that..............I'll probably try a test spray first.

Deb
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
shocks

This off an early Cloud....may give you some info on the shock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8272.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	181358  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
I had to start somewhere

More work....it never ends.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bubble Babs in clean up..jpg
Views:	91
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	181359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble Babs in progress.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	181360  

Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Oh Robin, two things caught my eyes here: 1) scaffolding (lucky you), and 2) the umbrella.............don't tell me the temps are so high that you need an umbrella!?! I'm envious, I took a load of scrap metal (the old frame, buckshot aluminum, etc.) to the junk yard this am and drove through snow showers, wind blowing so hard I had difficulty opening the truck door, and so bitter cold it just seemed to go through to the bones! I can't wait until Spring really gets here!

Glad to see you are working away on her. Also, thanks for the pics of the FC axle with shock. We discussed our shocks again last night and DH thinks it could be bad if we don't get the angle just right.

Thanks again, and I enjoy seeing the pictures of your Bubble, it's so nice!

Deb
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
This was a weekend which didn't see a lot of work accomplished...........my DH had to work this weekend, and our friend had some things he wanted to do. Our friend, did, however, get some things done during the week on his off days: he had cut the two outside curved ends off of our original bumper and welded new metal in the straight run (width of trailer), remounted the spare tire rack in its original location on the bumper, and mounted two leveler jacks onto the back end which my DH was able to come up with -- we looked and looked and couldn't find ones which were for a lighter weight trailer. The ones he came up with will fold up, turn and be in line with the bumper, so they won't be that noticable when running down the road.

Our friend had also mounted our 16" spare for our '99 Safari (25') so we could see how 16" wheels/tires will look on Lily. I have a pic of that; in it you will notice that we still have a small piece of exterior skin to rivet on, but we need to have the wheelwells fabricated and installed before cutting that piece of skin; we made the decision today to make the new wheelwells out of stainless steel. After the wheelwells are in place, we will also be able to place the new wheelwell trim onto her. Speaking of 16" wheels/tires -- I know there will be those who think it is overkill, who think it doesn't look original, but we feel piece of mind is more important to us than that bit of difference between 15" and 16" wheels/tires. It truly has been such sweet freedom not having to constantly worry about a blowout while out on the road with our 25', and we want to have that same feeling in Lily (aka Little Girl).

Today, they did take a look at the shocks too; that is, making the decision as to where and how they are mounted, including the degree of angle. In the one picture on the inside of the trailer looking down into the wheelwell, you can see all of the extra space (even with the 16" wheel/tire in there), but then we discovered that the extra 4" or so we thought we could recoup for floor space, is not available because the shocks will need that space. Well, it was a good idea, it just didn't work out.

Our friend also had the window gasket in place for the front window and more of the rub rail on.

We received our shipment of buffing/polishing supplies and I had thought I'd have the rear compartment door cleaned up and polished to put on this weekend, but we discovered our buffer is not the right type of grinder. The instructions which came with our supplies said to use a "side grinder", which ours is not, so I did some surfing this pm, but can't find one -- most of the ones I googled were angle grinders. I know we need a Cyclo polisher for the final shine, but we are stumped about what to use to get to that point.

We also measured the hole in the ceiling where the original vent had been. I thought I had read that the opening size needed for the new Coleman Mach 8 Low Profile (8" high") was 14"sq.; the opening for the old vent is 14"x 13.75" -- so, we may need to open it a tad, but maybe not.

The weather service issued a Winter Storm Warning for us today, and it was supposed to have started this afternoon, but aside from a few flurries, we haven't received any snow yet -- good!! However, they are still saying we should receive up to about 5" tonight -- Spring, where are you!?

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lilys new bumper etc1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	181735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys new bumper etc6.jpg
Size:	599.0 KB
ID:	181736  

Name:	Lilys new bumper etc4.jpg
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	181737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys new bumper etc3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	181739  

Name:	Lilys new bumper etc8.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	181740  
Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #93
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Springs certainly not here either.

You need something like this to polish.

DEWALT DWP849X 7-Inch/9-Inch Variable Speed Polisher with Soft Start - Amazon.com
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Shelly, and thanks for responding.

That DeWalt is the same type of grinder/buffer we have, which comes out underneath. What we were told to use, and what the buffer pads which came with our polishing kit are for, is one which comes out straight out the front. These pads don't have the Velcro on them to keep them on, they are kept on by a bolt or something. Our instructions called it a "side grinder", but that really refers to what part of the pad you buff with, which is sort of the thickness of it instead of the larger, flat area you would think would be used. We are thinking of trying to find pads with the Velcro on one side so we can use our buffer.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Grinding/ Buffer Adapter

Hi, Deb!

Reading your post, I think you have run into the same problem that I was having. I purchased a cheapo buffer from Harbor Freight Tools (yes, I know, not everyone things HFT is a good place to buy tools from, but the price was right) and I had also already purchased some buffing wheels from Caswell. The problem was that the wheels I purchased were meant to be used with the edge of the wheel against the trailer and the polisher was meant to be used with the flat part against the trailer... and there was no way to attach the wheel to the buffer.

The solution for me was to purchase this:
Grinder/Buffer Adapter 1/2" Dia Shaft - Buffing Adapters - Buffing/Polishing - Caswell Inc

I haven't yet started polishing, but I've attached the adapter and everything fits perfectly. Hope this helps!

Summer
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
be careful

If you have a heavy...or light....machine, the force required to apply to the wheel will wear you out....even make the job impossible. You should get a grinder type with a side mounted handle giving you that better grip and provide a way to apply pressure. I use a Dewalt 1/2 in drill driver, variable speed, with a Jetsco yellow wheel. Then a Caswell or Jetsco sewn cotton (double) wheel. I have a Camble Hausfield orbital polisher with a velcro type pad mount. I use 7 inch heavy wool pads with it. I soak the dirty pads in TSP and warm water over night, rinse out and wash 'em, dry 'em for use again. I finish with the Cyclo.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Sum75............well, my face is red! I followed your link, and that looked very familiar. I walked in to look over what came with my Jestco kit for Airstreams, and I think that attachment came with it. I had no idea what that was for, and there is another bolt or something which I don't know what it's for either.

Our grinder that we were planning to use for the buffing came from Harbor Freight too. I received a PM from someone else who said to be careful because with the one we purchased, it could get too hot and ruin the aluminum. That's definitely something I want to avoid.

Robin, 1) When using the wool pads, is it difficult to get the "bricks" of polishing compound from Jetsco to go off onto the wool pads? 2) Where do you purchase your wool pads? We were surfing the net last night trying to find some. Also, are you saying you wool pads are hook and loop?

The grinder we bought from Harbor Freight is an orbital one, and is variable speed, and it does have that side mounted handle.

The kit we received from Jetsco didn't have colored pads, there were two large, 8" diameter, thick ones, and four, small 4 1/4" diameter, thinner ones -- all were white in color. I'll have to have DH read this as I'm certain he'll understand what the various tools are.

Thanks to both of you.

Deb
Old 03-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Deb,

I'm glad your kit has the adapter! I didn't get a kit, so I was stumped at first. It sounds like we purchased the exact same tool from Harbor Freight! Mine is variable speed with the side handle, too. I think it will be ok. Normally, I try to get good tools, but I couldn't justify the cost for something that will probably get destroyed during the initial compounding. Happy polishing!

Tags