Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Where ie Somewhere, Ohio? If not too far from Wooster we would like to come over to see your Bubble

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Doug, can't wait to see your Bambi!

We have a few more pics of first exterior skin to go on and of the wheel wells, which I think show a little better how much additional space is there.

A couple of questions:

I think it's the second pic which is of the street side wheel well, there is corrosion.........does anyone know when there is too much corrosion. I'll say that it is not through (meaning no hole(s)). If we don't need to replace due to the corrosion, how do we remove the corrosion?

Does anyone know if someone sells new trim, or wrap which goes around the bottom edge and covers up the bottom of the skins? DH said what we have is about 2 1/4" high, but he'd like to have 2 1/2" to 3", I don't recall seeing any for sale anywhere.

Thanks to all for your interest, information sharing, and following us.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys First New Skin1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	180184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys First New Skin2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	180185  

Name:	Lilys First New Skin3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	180186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys First New Skin4.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	180187  

Name:	Lilys First New Skin5.jpg
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	180188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys First New Skin6.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	180189  

Name:	Lilys First New Skin7.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	180190  

Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I am following closely

I start my Bubble project today...in the rain. (I love the rain, by the way.) Keep the pictures coming and stay in touch. Between you, Becky, and all the other Bubble Folks I have some great guidance here. Are your frame builders up for a job?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi All.

This weekend has turned out to be one which other things are going on, so work on Lily has had to be squeezed in, which is fine -- it all adds up to being completed later.

I've attached more pics. One is of skin damage done by PO having a tarp on her while she was outside (she also spent some time inside a barn, don't know how much time each). DH said it looked as though the heat on the tarp made it sort of "melt" into the skin. Our friend wanted to see how it would clean up, so I think it's the second pic which shows how it shined up after a little polishing.

As you can see, exterior skin replacement is going on still, and I think the last remaining exterior skin to be replaced, street side rear, should go on tomorrow.....the pic shows where the old one had been.

Also, in the pic of the curb side showing how she looks with the new skins on for that side, I believe you can see a nasty dent up on the curve high. They have decided to try to pound it out from inside after the interior skins have been removed.

I'm going to ask again in case someone who didn't see it before is reading this.............does anyone know where we can buy new banana wrap? I haven't yet asked VTS, which I know I should, but I also thought I'd try here again.

We still have our windows to install. Anyone looking for replacement Hehr windows may want to check ours out after we install them; I'll try to get close ups so you can see them. I think our friend did a fantastic job fabricating new ones for us.

Robin, we asked our friend about building a frame for you, but he said he has to pass as he has a couple of his projects which have been waiting for him. I also asked my DH (he's the welder -- the two of them worked together on ours), and I believe he's thinking on it. Hopefully for you, your frame will turn out to be repairable.

We're thinking of what's going overhead -- ac unit and Fantastic Vent, that is if there's room for both. We know we will have to reinforce the overhead ribs for the ac unit. Does anyone have updated info on the newer ac unit which is 8" in height? If so, does it run ok, and is it quiet?

Hopefully I'll have a few more pics tomorrow.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lilys Exterior Skin Replacement5.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	180622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys Exterior Skin Replacement4.jpg
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	180623  

Name:	Lilys Exterior Skin Replacement1.jpg
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	180624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys Exterior Skin Replacement2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	180625  

Name:	Lilys Exterior Skin Replacement3.jpg
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	180630  
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Rub rail

Hey Deb....I think this is what you mean by "Banana wrap." The Bubble does not have what is commonly called that......a preformed curved piece at the corner bottom.
So.....if thats the case....you owe me ....VintageCampers.com :: Vintage Campers, Vintage Trailers, Vintage Parts, Vintage Restorations.
Stay on DHs' case for me. That frame/belly pan and floor would save me a ton of time and effort.....besides being better than I could crank out.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Robin, I must be really tired tonight; I submitted that long post without telling you thank you for your kind words, but you have already completed one Bubble, so you are the one we should be watching -- and watch we certainly will. You and we have much to share and compare and we are looking forward to it all.

Becky is a wealth of information, and has been very kind to share info with us too. As I told her, I'm sorry to see her resto come to completion, which is very selfish of me to say, but I really looked forward to logging on to see what she was doing each day.

I need to go into the Bubble forum and read the threads from everyone who has worked on one. Can't wait to see what turns up!

Deb
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Looks like your polishing job just got a lot easier!!! Lucky you! Great progress!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Oh Robin, you've made my day!! That is exactly what we're looking for, I can't believe it! I do owe you, big time.

Hey Becky, you are so right, that's just what I said to my DH about it saving on my polishing time. That one on the street side rear (only replaced one on the street side), was because of a dent we hadn't really noticed before, it was fairly bad and I don't know how we missed it. The ones on the curb side were mostly because of the buck shot.

Deb
Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I have five more pictures to load, but it is so overcast today/rain that the clouds are very dense and I'm having trouble loading them, so here's two of them, I think.

Over the weekend "the guys" got quite a bit done, but some of it was "a little of this and a little of that" which is difficult for others to see, but small items which needed to be completed, etc.

To update, more which have been competed are: all of the shell is riveted back on (Yeah!!); some of the rub rail is on (we need to add some screws on the curved areas); there were some bolts here and there which needed to be added. We had noticed some time ago that one skin which we weren't planning to replace had Olympic rivets, and I wasn't going for that. DH told me they took the time to drill those out and replace all of those this weekend too. Thanks to them! We feel that side must have had damage at some time and the skin replaced, thus the Olympic rivets used (they should have removed the interior skin so they could have been buck riveted on instead of Olympics). Also, our friend had the new hitch welded on when DH arrived! Thank goodness for friends!

Besides the rub rail coming from Vintage Campers, our new wheel well trim came from VTS, but it hasn't been installed yet. Our friend did fabricate and install the two small skin sections which go on just before and just after the wheel wells, thanks to him.

I've been searching, reading, and asking lots of questions about the new Coleman Mach 8 low profile AC unit (8" high) -- hoping to hear some feedback (any feedback) so we can make a decision about that on top. We're planning to reinforce the aluminum skins like someone else did on the Forums, I hope I can find that thread again. We don't have a lot of faith in our ribs as they are, we're finding that they aren't really attached very well.

I ordered a polishing kit today from Jestco, so I'll be starting in polishing, hopefully the end of this week, starting with the rear compartment door so they can put it back on. I also need to redo the Airstream plaque which goes on the compartment door and by the walk-in door, so I'll be reading how others went about that and what they used.

We ordered our door-in-a-door gasket, but when it came it looked different than the original gasket which was riveted on; new one has self-adhesive. Melody Ranch says the new one is correct, but also told me of another gasket to add to it, which I am searching for. Need to get her sealed up tightly before starting the trip home -- don't want to damage the new floor.

Hopefully this weekend coming up we'll start putting the reworked (2) and new (2) windows back on, can't wait to see those in place.

Can't think of much more; thanks for following.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lily's Rub Rail2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	181323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lily's Rub Rail3.jpg
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	181324  

Old 03-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Trying to post the other three pics.

It should be the last photo which shows the corrosion which I am concerned about. I think I read how to handle this is to buff it out and polish to seal it. This picture was taken on the inside of the trailer. I had them check to see if the corrosion was through but they said not -- if it was it would have been replaced. (I really wanted it replaced anyway, but was vetoed. )

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, the other two on this post are very similar.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lily's Rub Rail4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	181325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lily's Rub Rail5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	181326  

Name:	Lily's Rub Rail6.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	181327  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I forgot to mention that I've been searching for LED marker lights, if anyone knows of where to purchase those, we'd greatly appreciate hearing from you. We also want to use LED for the interior.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Deb, here's the way I go about repainting the Airstream nameplates. First polish the plate to make the letters and border shine then clean with thinner. Next cover the whole plate with clear packing tape then cut around the letters and borders with and excato knife. Peel off the background tape and spray with blue. When that dries peel off the letters and border. I can do them in 1/2 hour now. Pictures included.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_6158.JPG
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	181328   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6160.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	181329  

Name:	100_6161.JPG
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	181330   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6163.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	181331  

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Finished tag
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_6165.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	181332  
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
door and panel edge trim

I use this all the time and like it.1 16" Black Edge Trim Lok camper Trailer RV Seals Lock | eBay

Tags