Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
This should be the last batch of pics for today, two more.

Colin, perhaps the guys know this, but just in case they don't and because I know nothing about this, do the shocks angle toward the front or toward the back? This may be a totally dumb question, and if so, I'm certain my DH is going to be embarrassed that I asked because he probably already knows the answer, but I'd rather have information overload than to mount them incorrectly. Thanks so much.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys New Axle3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	180023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys New Axle4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	180024  

Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
One other thing I meant to say and forgot..................very early on (when we first bought her) we had hoped that we would only have to patch the subfloor. As time went on, and we walked in her, we saw more questionable areas, however, the thought turned to trying to not do a shell off resto, just lifting the sell in sections and shoving the new subfloor under. Then as some flooring was removed the ugly truth came forward and we ended up seeing that our original frame was cracked on the curb side by the old axle and rusted through in other places, etc.

All of this to say that anyone with an older vintage AS with some soft spots, you might want to really inspect that frame well just to make certain what is or what is not down there. We are fortunate to have made it home after we bought her without having problems. How sad it would have been to go out West and end up with a frame problem.

I'm certain all of you already know to do this, but sometimes it is tempting to take a shortcut, which in the end could turn out badly, and I just wanted to share our experience with you all.

Deb

Old 03-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Melody -- Thanks for the nice coments. If you are serious, I'm certain they might be interested in building another frame, the hard part is done (planning) and they have one under their belts. You are quite a distance from us, however.

Wow, another Bubble!? What luck, congratulations!

One thing which we keep thinking and rethinking about is bed placement -- we really want to get away from having the bed East/West across the back. We feel it is easier to level at campgrounds if the bed is North/South.

Whitsend -- Thank you for the invitation, and we were seriously thinking about coming down. I Googled the campground and read an article which I think another campground owner wrote saying that he didn't think the campground was being kept up very well, etc. It could have been the fact that it is his competition, I don't know.

I read that they were looking for some vintage AS's being towed by vintage tv's to be in the parade, and we were thinking of getting hold of them about this, but now we aren't certain if we will be able to make it. If not this year, perhaps the next.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #60
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
This should be the last batch of pics for today, two more.

Colin, perhaps the guys know this, but just in case they don't and because I know nothing about this, do the shocks angle toward the front or toward the back? This may be a totally dumb question, and if so, I'm certain my DH is going to be embarrassed that I asked because he probably already knows the answer, but I'd rather have information overload than to mount them incorrectly. Thanks so much.

Deb
Hi Deb,
Glad to see the axle went on smoothly & the chassis flipped over without a problem. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a "dumb question"............however I have heard some dumb answers The shocks should be angled slightly forward at the top, sort of following the arc the torsion arm swings. This shock orientation is called "vertical" in the Airstream world. "Horizontal" orientation started being used around 1968.
Looks like you're having fun,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
When she gets home, I need to remove the interior skins; strip them and then polish. After that I'll have to wash down the inside areas of both the interior and exterior skins with something to neutralize the mouse poo and urine, I'll be glad to have that nasty job completed.
You might be better off not using bleach since the urine contains ammonia and someone reported a nasty reaction between the two.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks so much for letting us know, I hadn't read that before! That could have been terrible. Do you know what most people are using?

Thanks again for possibly being a life saver!

Deb
Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I use Simple Green or Kaboom. Smells OK and cleans it up very well. I also use TSP.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thank you, Robin, for the info on cleaners; years ago I tried to use Simple Green and found I was allergic to it, so I stay away from it since, but the Kaboom and TSP (I don't know what this is, haven't heard of it before) I will definitely try to find and give a try.

Sooooo happy to say that her shell is back down where it belongs!! Yeah!! We went over to our friend's shop to get that job done, and when we walked in we discovered he had lowered it down onto the new frame on Friday all by himself, wow, what a great friend!! We are so indebted to him.

There was a tad bit of a problem of getting all of the shell down squarely, a few of the rear ribs weren't wanting to allow the exterior skin(s) back there to slip over the outside of the "C" channel, but they managed to get it where it belonged. In the end, the shell fit perfectly back down onto the new frame/subfloor/"C" channel! Isn't it amazing that if you take the time to do it right; reinforce the shell with framing, etc., that in the end it makes the job so much easier to turn out right!? Our friend and my DH have been doing a super job!

They removed the first of the exterior skins which will be replaced due to the buckshot that some, I assume, children shot into her years ago. I think there are three or four exterior panels which we will be replacing.

We removed the door, the door latch to hold it back, and one of the running lights. Does anyone know if there are any stainless steel door latches available to buy? I may not be calling them by the correct name, but I am referring to the piece which holds the door open, against the shell when you want the door open.

We're also looking for new running lights. The covers of our existing running lights look as though they've been really hot and melted somewhat. Does anyone know if we can get these and rear lights in LED, or will we have to search for LED inside "guts" for old style?

Thanks so much for any info you have to share on the latch and LED running lights.

I want to share with you all that we are a little disappointed with the shell ribs -- when we removed the one curbside front bottom skin, one of the ribs just fell off too. It wasn't full length, and we don't think it was attached to anything other than the skin -- the skin was holding it in place, this doesn't seem very good to us.

Since my DH used to be a welder, and our friend a machinist, when they work on things, they tend to make whatever it is extra heavy duty, thus our frame, they said, is about three times as strong as the original and that we won't ever have to worry about rear-end separation with this one. That sounds so good to me!

I'm attaching some pics of how she looked when we arrived to the shop today and then of some of the work they did today. I'm hoping DH gets some more pics as they work along today and brings that camera home -- if so, I'll post more pics then.

Well, I'm having issues with connectivity again today, so I'll have to post these in separate posts, I suppose.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lilys shell on1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	180154  
Old 03-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
More pic(s), hopefully.

In one of these, I've centered on a plaque from what I believe may be the original Airstream dealer -- does anyone know anything about this dealer? And if this plaque looks familiar, do you know how it looked originally, perhaps know where I can see a pic of these plaques from years ago? I'd like to restore the plaque if I knew how it looked back then.

Thanks.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lilys shell on4.jpg
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	180156  
Old 03-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Last two pics for now. In one you can see the buckshot. Also, the wheel/tires and look funny in all of these pics are the frame is up on jack stands.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lilys shell on5.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	180158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys shell on3.jpg
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	180159  

Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
One other thing, if memory serves me, I believe the old WBCCI numbers are: 4235, does anyone know the past history of her?

Thanks so much.

Deb
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Are these the stainless latches you are looking for?
Door Latch
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
OMG, Doug, yes those are exactly what we are looking for! Thank you so much.

Do you remember meeting my DH and me at the non-rally at Pennwood last Fall? He enjoyed talking with both you and "Big Al" there, among others. I think I saw where he will be coming to the Ohio Amish Rally in April, are you, by any chance, coming?

Thanks again for pointing those out.................and the price is so right!

Deb
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
OMG, Doug, yes those are exactly what we are looking for! Thank you so much.

Do you remember meeting my DH and me at the non-rally at Pennwood last Fall? He enjoyed talking with both you and "Big Al" there, among others. I think I saw where he will be coming to the Ohio Amish Rally in April, are you, by any chance, coming?

Thanks again for pointing those out.................and the price is so right!

Deb
We are hoping to get to the April rally again this year. I have been working on our 62 Bambi for 2 years and hope to have it ready for it's first trip out.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags