Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
We are very fortunate and greatly appreciate all that our friends are helping us with.

Deb

Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Well, DH is back from his trip to Canada, and the guys are working today on the belly pan.

I picked up the windows with the tinted, tempered glass installed -- they look great!

Talked with Colin H. yesterday and he said the build date for the new axle was scheduled for this past Thursday. Hopefully that stayed on schedule so we'll be receiving the new axle before too long........this is really getting exciting!!

Some things we are discussing and thinking about:

Since the inner skins will all be coming off soon for stripping and polishing, and we'll be running the new interior wiring, this is the time to plan for and install the Fantastic Vent in the roof, make a decision on the AC unit, and clean/polish the exterior roof skins.

First, we weren't aware that VTS had Fantastic Vents for our vintage AS, but I just found an old thread on that including instructions on how to modify it using the original lid. Drawback -- Melody said his Bubble lid wouldn't fit, bummer, so now what are we to do, I guess use the new one that comes with it.

Next thought probably won't go down well with some here, but here goes.......we aren't keen on using a window AC in Lily, one reason being using up the little space we have in her. At the same time, we aren't keen on having a unit on the roof either, but we are willing to live with that to have AC -- we both need AC when it gets really hot. I know, some of you are cringing right now, but what other alternatives do we have?

Polishing...........DH bought a cheapo polisher at Harbor Freight -- do you think that will be okay to use, or will it leave marks? Also, not certain what chemicals to use on this job, has there been anything new come along, or if I read old threads will those items still be good ones to use?

Since we'll soon be running the interior wiring, I suppose this is the time to buy the lights we'll have in there so we'll know what and where? We'll go with LED, I'm certain.

I think I've read that some others have had to have an exhaust vent for their frig, is that right? If so, I guess this is the time to install that since the belly pan is going on now? I don't know anything about this as we don't have our frig yet. (I'm thinking Becky might have had to install one. Is this for frigs which are two-way -- I'm certain that's what we'll have so we can bookdock.)

Next thing, and from this you'll know how excited I am getting about this, is there a Vintage Rally this summer -- somewhere? I'm hoping that even if we have to come with Lily just being a glorified tent, we can make it to one this summer.

Thanks to all for your thoughts, ideas, and shared knowledge. Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Deb

Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
hey I just found another bubble 10 miles from my house. someone has hired a local Rv repairman to rebuild

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3886346234.png
Views:	131
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	179352

this one from the ground up. right now it's a polished shell with repaired undercarriage and ripped up belly pan and no floor. I thought I'd post it because I am going to get some info from the repair chap soon as to where the owners had it polished for $1400. that's a bargain I gotta know about. I know this question came up earlier so I thought I'd share both a couple pics of this trailer and any info I get on polishing. this is a 1957 model with lots of bumps and bruises on its shell but nothing damaged beyond repair. looks nice shiny. the repairman said he's never worked on an airstream. i asked him if he has an olympic rivet shaver and he said " a what?". he's gonna come over to check mine out and get some ideas on what is possible on a bubble and what use to go where. and parts suppliers. cheers. Ted

Name:	image-1285159298.png
Views:	94
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	179354

amazing they found it in a field. why couldn't I have seen that field!

Name:	image-3520706694.png
Views:	89
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	179353
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Deb, Have you considered coming to the vintage restoration academy in new mexico in may? Even if your bubble isnt ready it will be well worth your time. i'll probably be tenting this year but hope to pull the flying cloud next year. great learning experience and great people too!
tim
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Tim.

Well, we did discuss possibly going to a vintage restoration rally, but when I was looking around, I came across the one in Texas in, I think, June, but I don't recall seeing the info on New Mexico. I'm going to go to the rally calendar to check into this.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Deb
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
New Mexico in May

Hi Deb!

I've signed up for this 'rally', and here's the website:

http://vintagetraileracademy.com/

and the AIR thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...ly-101084.html

I'm a total noob, just grabbed my first AS a few weeks ago but have become entirely obsessed and inspired by stories of beautiful shell-offs like yours. Looks like you're making swift progress, keep up the good work!

Maybe see you in May..

Meagan
1977 Argosy 28
WBCCI#1528
AIR#73368
TinyFixation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Wow, thanks so much Meagan for the info on the Vintage Restoration Academy. I may have misspoke calling it a Rally, but one things is for certain, it is wonderful that there are people who will share their knowledge with the rest of us!

I'll have to check to see if DH can get off work then, there's been a lot going this past year or so with his work, and it's been a llittle difficult to really plan time off.

I'm attaching some more pics. We upgraded from our 3G Verizon Air Card to a 4G Jetpack, and had issues with our desktop computer not recognizing it, so we couldn't use it until we could get back in to get the USB adapter for it. I had been using our laptop, but I wasn't comfortable trying to download pics on that.

Anyway, these pics are of the belly pan in various stages. We are at a standstill right now until our new axle comes -- Colin said today that it should be completed this Thursday. We would love to get that mounted this weekend if everything works out.

Well I had some trouble with three pics, so I'll have to post them a little later.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lily20131.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	179360  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Here goes, I have three more to post. In one you'll see a temporary plug for the gray tank -- they tested it for leaks before sealing up the belly pan, so that white plastic will come off later.

Well, one of the pics had a glitch and when I tested it before posting, it wouldn't come up all the way, so I removed it.

The guys felt that they had wrinkles in the belly pan,and were disappointed in that, but I told them I thought it looked fine. I believe they have done a wonderful job considering this is their first resto on an AS.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lily20132.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	179366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lily20135.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	179368  

Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Looks great! The edges/cuts on our belly pan were a big challenge too. In the great scheme of things, it's something that no one but you or your husband with notice (unless people crawl under your trailer!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
they're just "stretch marks" anyway on the belly pan right.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Next thing, and from this you'll know how excited I am getting about this, is there a Vintage Rally this summer -- somewhere? I'm hoping that even if we have to come with Lily just being a glorified tent, we can make it to one this summer.Deb
Deb - Please do consider coming down to the "Cradle of History Vintage Rally" to be held at the J.B. Wells Park in Gonzales, Texas from October 3rd thru 6th.

The Vintage Academy rally in Alberquerque is also great. Maybe you should plan on attending both?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
And we had touch down.................that is, her "feet" are back onto the ground! Yeah! That was a very nerve wracking time for me when the bobcat was lifting on one end and the cherry picker was handling the other end, while trying to get the frame off of the "frame table" without bending the "C" channel, while watching to make certain we didn't accidentally bump Lily's shell (a little tight quarters for the turning) while worrying about the new axle. Once she cleared the frame table, she pretty much turned herself right side up, and wallah, a frame no man could resist!!

I'd like to say a huge "thank you" to Colin Hyde for ordering our axle for us and keeping track of it through the building process and then the delivery. It went on like a dream. Colin, just to make certain we did it right, if you have time, could you look at the attached pic of the wheel well area to make certain we have it turned right? (I guess I am a nervous Nelly.)

We do have a question about where the shock absorbers get attached to, that is the opposite end of the mounting plate. I assume the Bubbles are the same as newer AS's in that they mount at an angle? Could someone elaborate as to the degree? Thanks so much.

It looks to us as though we have an extra 4" or so in the wheel well areas which we could perhaps recoup (towards the inside), and in a Bubble every inch is important for floor space. Our friend noticed this and the guys are talking about welding in some metal to extend the floor out in those areas. If anyone sees a problem with this, please speak up -- there could be something we aren't seeing.

Some excess aluminum (which is sticking up) needs to be cut down before we can move the shell onto the new frame -- how exciting! While I was standing looking at the frame and then walked over to look inside the shell to check on available space for an ac and Fantastic Vent, I also took in the interior skins and it hit me how much is yet to be done. I'm hoping for warm weather sooner rather than later! I really want to get out there to start tearing into her.

I've been reading about the Fantastic Vents and the newly released ac which is really low profile, 8" I think, hoping we can fit these into her ceiling. I read there is an issue with whether the ceiling is curved or not -- at least the Fantastic Vents come either flat or curved for the interior trim or some part. Any Bubble people out there have ideas on these -- curved is what I'm guessing.

When she gets home, I need to remove the interior skins; strip them and then polish. After that I'll have to wash down the inside areas of both the interior and exterior skins with something to neutralize the mouse poo and urine, I'll be glad to have that nasty job completed.

Then comes the planning for the water lines, wiring, and propane, all of which I know nothing about. This should be fun. I am, however, forming plans about the cabinetry and lighting.

Also, I recently read a post in another thread, I believe it was from Gene, who said a lot of people are going with foam insulation in the walls and I think ceiling and are using blocks of that foam toward the outside to keep the sheets from touching the exterior skins, so I assume this is for a little air space in case of condensation. Is that right?

We are looking for some aluminum propane tanks, is anyone has some or knows of some for sale, we'd greatly appreciate hearing about them. Thank you in adance.

I have to say that I'm getting so excited about this "Little Girl" that I almost can't stand it! I think we're going to have to take her out as an aluminum tent before she gets completed just to try her out.

I'm attaching some pics of our "turn over" last night. May be boring for some, but as I said before, very exciting for us. In the pics where it is turned over, you will see the 2x4's they used to "build up" the floor so it could sit on the frame table without bending the "C" channel when it was upside down.

I took pics with two cameras last night; something happened when I tried to upload from one of them, I'll try those again and repost.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, concerns, information, etc.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lily's New Frame2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	180017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lily's New Frame1.jpg
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	180018  

Name:	Lily's New Frame4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	180019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lily's New Frame6.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	180020  

Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I'm still having issues, so I hope these will post. I'm going to do two at a time because I was told the internet is having "connectivity" issues.

I forgot to mention before that the wheels/tires which are on the new axle are the old ones which were on her when we bought her, and I believe they are 15". As I've mentioned before, we opened up the wheel wells and are hoping to get 16" wheels/tires (Michelins) on her.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lilys New Axle1.jpg
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	180021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilys New Axle2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	180022  

Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Anything extra...take it

NICE! I have found that I could have used every extra bit of space around the wheel wells.
I'm following closely all your doing here. Eventhough I just finished up my 56 Bubble...nothing fancy....I will begin work on my other 56 Bubble next week. Think your frame makers want another try at one? Keep up the pictures.

Tags