Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #29

1956 16' Bubble
Richmond , Virginia
I have read all the rules for the Forum and hope that this doesn't violate them. I've enjoyed reading about the restoration of the Airstream Bubble because I'm trying to find out about a 1956 Airstream Bubble that my father owned (serial #307). He died last month and I need advice on how to best sell it and how much it might be worth. It hasn't been used in years, but looks good on the outside. He also had an 1971 Avion Voyager, which I know is not the object of this forum. I'd appreciate any help!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
bubble

I have a 56 bubble I've restored-- feel free to send me a ton of pictures and details to kitzmillerted@gmail.com I'd love to help you. I purchased my bubble project 2 years ago and am just about "done" with it. I have a decent knowledge of current prices and how much $ a buyer could expect to spend in restoring it. my bubble is serial #336 cheers. Ted

Old 01-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
deb. you're doing great work. since you have the ability to protect your wiring whether trailer lights or other electrical. I would do all I could to protect everything and run it all through a network of conduits. that way you could eliminate pinches, deterioration, and perhaps. running a screw through something by accident. once things are buttoned up you don't ever want to have to find a short in your trailer light wires or other electrical. personally I would over build this area as much as possible. cheers. Ted.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I have the brother

I have #308.....I'd like to talk with you about possibly getting the two living in the same places.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I too would be very interested in your bubble, and am not a hoarder of these fine trailers but rather looking for an opportunity to restore and use it. ;>)
Barry
bollette@frontier.com
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #34
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I could use a bubble.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Adrian , Michigan
It will be great to see how another Bubble is being restored. My '56 started it's removal of interior skin last night, which was fast and fun, (of course it's only 13 ft. body). I have thought of restoring to original but like you said "not much room in a Bubble to begin with". Looking to lift shell off Saturday. One question fom another newbie...."what is the best way to DRILL OUT the factory exterior Olympia rivets. Sure don't care to slip off and drill into skin. And yes, my '56 Bubble is a California girl and looking forward to the project.
Thanks and what a great forum!!
Lew
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Lew, glad to hear there's another Bubble being restored and will be on the road!

My DH made up a tool which just fits onto the rivet, has a hole in the center and it keeps the drill bit from moving off and damaging the skins. He went to Georgia for business this week and will return later today, so when he does, I'll ask him to post how he made it.

Have you started a thread on your rebuild and are you going to post pictures? It will be interesting to hear whether your frame is as bad as ours was or not; ours actually was cracked by the curb side wheelwell -- that could have been really bad!

Deb
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Adrian , Michigan
Thanks Deb. I appreciate info on drilling out exterior rivets. My bubbles frame is in bad shape and I will rebuild complete. Amazing how much you have accomplished on your project to date. How many are working on this bubble? Awesome.
I towed my bubble home Thanksgiving day 2003, 500 miles from Wisconsin thru the UP, across the Michigan Mackinaw bridge during a snow storm heading to southeast Michigan. It had been sitting in Wisconsin woods serving as a hunting shelter. The bubble was originally purchased new by couple who were archeologists and joined the "Pikes Peak Airstream Club" (club stickers still on bubble.) Also has # 2674 club numbers on front & rear, along with "Wally Byam's Caravan" below numbers. They gave bubble to their son. It ended up in Wisconsin and purchased by the couple l got it from. I hope to find more in depth history.
In the meantime, I am continuing the restoration.
Lew
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Hi Lew I sent you an e-mail the other day , but didn't hear from you. Mind sending me an email, I'd like to talk to you about your trailer.
Thanks,
Barry & Karen Ollette
bollette@frontier.com
517-4231187
Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Sold!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
hahaha
Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Well, back to the Bubble. Sorry it has been so long since we've posted, but DH has been really busy with work.

I haven't seen the Lily for a couple of weeks now, but I was told the gray tank is installed, as well as trailer brake wiring and insulation in place, and the last I heard, the belly pan was being installed.

I believe this is the third week, so I'm thinking that our axle should be ready to be delivered about any day now. Can't wait to get that on and turn her back over so the shell can be lowered back onto the new frame.

With Spring just around the corner, I am getting really excited to get her to the point that we can at least take her out for a weekend of aluminum tent camping!

Oh, I almost forgot..............our friend who does fantastic sheet metal work, called to say that he had finished our windows. He built two completely new large windows and only had to go over and clean up the two smaller ones. The two he built look just like the original ones!! I dropped all four off at the glass company who ordered tempered glass with a slight gray tint.

Thanks to all who are following our thread.

Deb
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #42
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Oh, I almost forgot..............our friend who does fantastic sheet metal work, called to say that he had finished our windows. He built two completely new large windows and only had to go over and clean up the two smaller ones. The two he built look just like the original ones!! I dropped all four off at the glass company who ordered tempered glass with a slight gray tint.

Thanks to all who are following our thread.

Deb

Wish I had talented friends like that!

reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags