Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
What now? 1957 Sovereign of the Road

OK guys, we're diving in headlong and driving down to pick up the beast you see below in Florida next weekend. I have them servicing the axles and brakes, but I need to buy rims and tires for the trip home (find a light bar too). The guys I'm getting it from are realtors who acquired it with a property and don't know much about ASs, so can I get some recommendations for rims/tires and where to buy them? Any other advice would be welcome also...

Sean

http://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1162471485

http://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1162471485
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0005.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	27926   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	27927  

asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I got my light bar at U-Haul. The tires and rims I got at a dealer that sells car haulers, and other trailers. Actually I think I got the rims there and bought the tires at a discount tire store, maybe Sam's. Be sure you get tires rated for a trailer and not just car tires. Good looking trailer, lots of work ahead. Good luck.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Wow! We know what you'll be doing all winter! We're looking for the interior photos next week so we can have the before and after on your find.
BTW for us MOHO folks.... what is it? How much???
Good luck and please be safe on your trip home.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
BTW for us MOHO folks.... what is it? How much???
My guess is a 30' Sovereign of the Road. Body looks to be in nice condition! I'm just starting to get into the VAP -- but a Sovereign of the Road is frequently mentioned ... isn't it Rob's project?

Congrats on the pickup -- all the joy and toil will balance on the plus side!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
When I picked mine up I got rims and tires at Discount Tire and cheapest magnetic tow lights were from Harbor Freight.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
My guess is a 30' Sovereign of the Road. Body looks to be in nice condition!
They advertised it as a 26' AS, but I thought it looked a lot like the 30' SOR in the Vintage Aristream photo archives also.

Quote:
I'm just starting to get into the VAP -- but a Sovereign of the Road is frequently mentioned ... isn't it Rob's project?
Been listening to the VAP also, but don't recall..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Wow! We know what you'll be doing all winter! We're looking for the interior photos next week so we can have the before and after on your find.
Intend to document the rebuild here -- $2,500 purchase, but I predict thousands more before we use her.

Can any kind soul out there tell me what size rims and tires I need to buy?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
My guess is a 30' Sovereign of the Road. Body looks to be in nice condition! I'm just starting to get into the VAP -- but a Sovereign of the Road is frequently mentioned ... isn't it Rob's project?

Congrats on the pickup -- all the joy and toil will balance on the plus side!
Yup, Rob's trailer is a 1958 Sovereign of the Road and his blog is at: http://sweetsovereign.blogspot.com/

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
58? in St. Pete, FL

I was looking at that.. it is a 57/58 Overlander I believe. This one was listed as a 57 on the VAC classifieds for $2500 - what I paid for mine. I am very interested to see the interior of this trailer. If it was closer - it would be in my yard!

I would love to know the Serial number. It might have 14.5 inch tires on it. Let us know as the picture they sent me, I can not make out the tag by the door under the window.

What are your plans on it. If you are parting things, can I have first dibs for parts?

Thanks,

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Bring several length od 2"X10" lumber at 10" and 20" lengths to drive one axle up on to change the tires on the other. Cut a bevel on the front edge.

Wal-Mart sells an inexpensive light bar (magnetic individual lights) with a long wire - but it may not be that long. Works well - magnets really hold - place it on the bumper. $30 bucks or so.

There will be tons of trailer dealers along the way that will carry the rims - WHY NEW RIMS? Are they thay bad? New tires will be easy to find - get the seller to send you the sizes off the current set on the trailer- if very old they can be crossed matched to new sizes. Old rims can be cleaned up for the short term, most tire places can clean up the bead and seal new tires with new stems. Get high pressure stems (metal).

Tape down your vents for the tow home - keeps them on until you can check them out.

Good Luck
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Bring several length od 2"X10" lumber at 10" and 20" lengths to drive one axle up on to change the tires on the other. Cut a bevel on the front edge.

Wal-Mart sells an inexpensive light bar (magnetic individual lights) with a long wire - but it may not be that long. Works well - magnets really hold - place it on the bumper. $30 bucks or so.

There will be tons of trailer dealers along the way that will carry the rims - WHY NEW RIMS? Are they thay bad? New tires will be easy to find - get the seller to send you the sizes off the current set on the trailer- if very old they can be crossed matched to new sizes. Old rims can be cleaned up for the short term, most tire places can clean up the bead and seal new tires with new stems. Get high pressure stems (metal).

Tape down your vents for the tow home - keeps them on until you can check them out.

Good Luck
It still has all the original split rims on it.

It has all the original appliances, but that's all we know about the interior. Once we get there (hepa masks and trash bags in tow...) to pick it up, we'll have a better idea of what is salvageable and what isn't (we'll let you know, Rob).

This is going to be the "take the budding bagpiper to his competitions-mobile", and he's already pushing 5'6'' at 12, so we definitely have to take growing teenager who eats and wears funny clothing into account when we draw up the final plan.

Bridget
Old 11-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
When you getting her?

Now that I have gone back to my side shots on the SOTR, I think you might have a 58 SOTR there too! The 4 large windows up front is a give away. Colin has a 57 SOTR, and his is 13 panel, and in 58, mine is not... transition year. I am really curious to see if you have bunks? Mine had the same electrical box added - too funny.

Lights - www.harborfreight.com carries them too! Even if magnetic ones are used, use some aluminum tape on them as the magnets are not always fool proof and could come off. Bring the aluminum tape with you to tape things down (nothing works better) and some rope to rope the door closed while going down the road.

What did you eventually get the old thing for? We all want to know!!! If you are going to restore it, why not get the rims you want up front.. save soe $$$ in the long run! Try these out....

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=36662

Split rims - I have a guy up the road that works on those, but you probably won't find anyone - good luck on that.

Where are you towing it too? We are going to have a SOTR reunion at Bozeman, Montana in July 08 at the International - you'd better get working on it now! Keep in touch!
Courtesy parking

Old 11-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
I was looking at that.. it is a 57/58 Overlander I believe. This one was listed as a 57 on the VAC classifieds for $2500 - what I paid for mine. I am very interested to see the interior of this trailer. If it was closer - it would be in my yard!

I would love to know the Serial number. It might have 14.5 inch tires on it. Let us know as the picture they sent me, I can not make out the tag by the door under the window.

What are your plans on it. If you are parting things, can I have first dibs for parts?

Thanks,

Rob
Rob,

That's the one -- I assumed it was a Overlander, might be still, but it sure resembles the SOR on VA, which my wife ferreted out while trying to figure out the floor plan. I'm buying it based off how good the skin looks, no plans for the interior till I see how things look - reportedly it has the original appliances all in it. If it's in bad shape I'll gut it and start over, may be some parts available.

Also talked to the guy who moved it, said he got under it and the frame looked OK -- we'll see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
WHY NEW RIMS? Are they thay bad?
Michael,

Thanks for all the pointers - new rims because it reportly has split rims on it, which I've alway heard should be replaced -- am I wrong?

Sean
Old 11-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
That is mine

The SOTR on the VA site is mine.. that is me standing in the pictures. The frame will no doubt need work right where it goes into the trailer as the box frame was open and water over the years has thinned the metal there. Also, expect some frame issues in the rear. When gutting it, if that is the route you go, be careful (I need a curb side bunk) and some ceiling lights. But I'd love to see the interior shots too! Email me at robandzoe@adelphia and I will send you some 58 Overlander (single axle) interior shots from a friend that lives close by. I bet you're excited!
Courtesy parking

Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by asta2
Michael,

Thanks for all the pointers - new rims because it reportly has split rims on it, which I've alway heard should be replaced -- am I wrong?

Sean
No, you're right - get rid of the split rims - nobody I know will work on them. You may save them for nostalga sake - can't imagine why, I have a garage full of nostalga (my wife calls it junk). Any trailer supply place will have them - I got mine locally for about $29 bucks - 2800 lbs rated. Mine is a single axle - Rob is right - now is the time to get the rims you want - invest in some good ones - I went OEM but the AL ones are nicer.

Check your brakes, you may need to rewire the plug - bring a meter and some tape and some wireties, and some tools, and some flashlights, and some work clothes, and some breakfree (lug nuts), and some whatever - JUST BRING IT ALL. Have fun - Good luck
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
watch those tires close! we had a flat towing out trade wind home to atlanta when we got her a year ago. the axle was so fused the wheel wouldn't drop enough to get the wheel off. i ended up deflecting the body out a bit, which you can still see, if you look for it. you should have leaf springs, though. as for rim size, i got 15X6... the 15X7 would have been too wide for our trailer, and wouldn't have fit on. i found a place south of atlanta that sold me the aluminum wheels and radials installed for something like $140 EACH. they're more modern than i'd like to see on a 7 panel trailer, though. i plan on doing the baby moons on the other 2, with taller bias ply, and not radials. it adds to the ride height a bit, and looks more nostalgic

definitely check the plug and lights. i think there should be an access patch under the front corner, or inside the front of the trailer where everything is wire-nutted together.

good luck! no speeding, now! ha!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Split rims - I have a guy up the road that works on those, but you probably won't find anyone - good luck on that.

Where are you towing it too? We are going to have a SOTR reunion at Bozeman, Montana in July 08 at the International - you'd better get working on it now! Keep in touch!
There is a guy in the Tampa area, Billys Tire Service, who will work on split rims, but I vote for replacement also, that is what I did for the Liner before moving it to Calif.

Rob, Is my Liner invited to the SOTR reunion? If so, I had better get to work.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Sure Bill

If it is done by then.. we both have a long way to go. The 58 was still a Liner - so maybe we should call it a Liner reunion - where both East and West Coast Liner's parade in together... we'll be towing with our 59 Buick too!
Courtesy parking

Old 11-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Agree it looks like a Sovereign. The four windows separate it from an Overlander. Nice - enjoy the project.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #19
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i didn't notice those. that IS cool! looks like a greenhouse. that's one thing that makes the back of our trade wind look dark... i wish it had more glass!

cool trailer, man! and long, too!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
What did you eventually get the old thing for? We all want to know!!! If you are going to restore it, why not get the rims you want up front.. save some $$$ in the long run! Try these out....

Rob,

I'm in the Army assigned to Ft McPherson, Atlanta GA - where we'll be for the reunion I don't know, but we'll put it on the calendar and try to make it. I didn't try to fight the price down ($2,500), because I didn't want to lose it, but they are covering cost of servicing the axles and brakes prior to my arrival.

If it is the SOTR, I'll probably be in contact with you - how many of these things can there still be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
watch those tires close! we had a flat towing out trade wind home to atlanta when we got her a year ago. the axle was so fused the wheel wouldn't drop enough to get the wheel off. i ended up deflecting the body out a bit, which you can still see, if you look for it. you should have leaf springs, though. as for rim size, i got 15X6... the 15X7 would have been too wide for our trailer, and wouldn't have fit on. i found a place south of atlanta that sold me the aluminum wheels and radials installed for something like $140 EACH. they're more modern than i'd like to see on a 7 panel trailer, though. i plan on doing the baby moons on the other 2, with taller bias ply, and not radials. it adds to the ride height a bit, and looks more nostalgic

definitely check the plug and lights. i think there should be an access patch under the front corner, or inside the front of the trailer where everything is wire-nutted together.

good luck! no speeding, now! ha!

jp
Thanks for the tip JP - do you remember who you got those wheels from?

Tags
1957, sovereign