Old 08-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #197
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Second Grey Tank

The second grey tank was added to collect water from the kitchen sink. It is an off the shelf 16 gallon poly. I found it fit nicely in the corner under the sink counter top. This would really be wasted space anyway as it would be hard to get to, kind of a black hole for cleaning supplies.

So I had three problems:
1) The ports were in the wrong place
2) If it is elevated for gravity drain, I'll lose half the capacity because of the depth of the sink.
3) How to restrain it.

Decided to tackle the new ports with bulkhead fittings. But then how do I tighten the nuts inside? It was painful, but I took a saber saw and cut a large port in the top. Using a home made wrench, I could tighten the nuts pretty easily. The top port was then resealed using a piece of Plexiglas with a bead of silicone from the inside and held is place with a SS bolt and Aluminum angle iron. The only other trick is to use a bit of plumbers putty at the base of the threads of the bulkhead fitting. Without that I had a tiny weeping leak.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3649.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	349331 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3650.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	349332

To drain the tank, I decided on a macerating pump. Then the tank can sit on the floor and I can move the grey water through the black tank to dump. Should help clear the black tank as well. This all sits nicely under a false floor in the sink cabinet.

Name:	IMG_3671.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	349333

To hold the tank in place, I added a small plywood ring at the base like my other tanks and then fashioned a side wall for the under cabinet with a locating piece. This is tied into the wall, floor and cabinet. The small momentary push button switch on the upper left corner of the wall is used to run the pump. - Mark

Name:	IMG_3670.JPG
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	349334

Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
We used a lot of bulkhead fittings in the large oil storage tanks we molded in the factory. We too had a special tool that we could use to hold the inside nut from spinning while tightening the fitting. Bulkhead fittings work good, just a bit more costly than a spin weld.

Your idea of two grey water tanks located at the "point of use" is rather nifty. I like it.

David

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:58 AM   #199
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
And last but not least, the Black tank

Like most Safari owners, we added an above the floor black tank underneath the toilet. It is supported by a stand made of Aluminum extrusions and topped with a double layer of plywood. The double layer was needed to provide the enough clearance for the toilet floor flange to screw directly into the tank. Bonded to the underside of the tank is a flange which attaches to a Valterra waste valve. Almost a direct shot.

Name:	P1050846.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	349466
So I screw it all together and fill it up (with clean water) and it starts pouring into the shower pan. Since I had cut a corner off of the tank to fit closer to the wall, I had all sorts of scary thoughts. Just glad I didn't try to test under combat conditions.

Take it all back apart and here is what I found.

Name:	IMG_3648.JPG
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	349467
Some moron obviously got carried away drilling and punched a 1/4" hole in the side. Since the tank was ABS, it was easily repaired. Back together and no leaks.

To cover up the plywood and hide the black tank I built an aluminum box. Here is a picture of it along with its cardboard prototype.

Name:	IMG_3651.JPG
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	349468
And finally the completed throne.

Name:	IMG_3652.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	349469
Mark
Old 08-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #200

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
To access the inside of the tank you could have used a marine port. I found some circular ones with a twist out clear center and it works great. I have a spare around here somewhere for a photo. Somewhere around here...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
My son's 69 Globetrotter came from the factory with an above floor black tank. I replaced it as the original was broken when the rear of the trailer bottomed out on some incline. The tank and surround were 9" off the floor. I had trouble finding a new toilet that was a "shortie". I think we bought a 12" one making the seat height a tall 21". A guy feels like a 5 year old with feet dangling off the floor.

I wonder what your new throne seat height is from the floor?

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1703 Toilet Set (Small).JPG
Views:	9
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	349524  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #202
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Vents

One of the toughest things I have done was drilling large holes thru my pristine floor to install vents for the refrigerator and furnace.

This was the original refrigerator vent. There was some window screening to keep out the rodents that was torn. Basically a freeway for mice. I was determined to not repeat this.

Name:	P1050622.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	349525
I ended up with an aluminum vent complete with attached screen. That with a plastic duct connector and some aluminum flashing turned out a much more secure path. Here is the view from inside.

Name:	IMG_3694.JPG
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	349526
And from outside.

Name:	IMG_3693.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	349527

The furnace also had a 2" vent thru the floor. I used some hardware that would be used to install a central vac system to secure this entry.

Here is the installed port.

Name:	IMG_3680.JPG
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	349528

The parts that make it up.

Name:	IMG_3686.JPG
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	349529

And the view from below. - Mark

Name:	IMG_3690.JPG
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	349530
Old 08-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #203
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
A guy feels like a 5 year old with feet dangling off the floor.

I wonder what your new throne seat height is from the floor?

David
I just checked, 19". Feels a little high compared with the house, but at least my feet aren't dangling.
Mark
Old 08-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Great enginuity. Just walk around a big box store and you’ll start thinking of how to retrofit things that weren’t designed for what you’re using them for. Neatly done.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #205
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Counter Tops

Just like the flooring, picking out what we wanted for a counter top was tougher than actually installing it. We ended up with a print from Wilsonart Retro collection.

I decided to replace all of the original substrates which get cut from a single sheet of plywood. We were lucky in that we were able to use all of the edge trim pieces from the original. I did have to buy a couple of tools, a laminate roller and a wing cutter for my router.

The wing cutter is used to cut the slot in the edge to hold the aluminum T extrusions. Just for future reference, even though the old slots measured almost exactly 3/32", the cutter you want is 1/16". The bigger one would be too loose.

Name:	IMG_3660.JPG
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	350210

Here is the completed sink counter.

Name:	IMG_3676.JPG
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	350215

And then the stove cover down and then up.

Name:	IMG_3675.JPG
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	350211Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3678.JPG
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	350212

And finally the table up and as an end table?

Name:	IMG_3677.JPG
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	350213Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3674.JPG
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	350214
Mark
Old 08-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi steinVT: The countertops looks fantastic.

I made a new galley countertop from plywood for the Overlander, but I changed the size about an inch and thus the original edge trip wouldn't fit. No problem I thought, I'll just apply the laminate to the edge and mill it to fit. I found out I could not bend it at the radius on the corner of the countertop. Maybe heat would have helped.

I wondered how edge cuts are made. I put together an old table just the other day that had a groove cut in the frame so the clips would fit in it and then screwed down tight to the top. I wondered what tool might have been used to make that groove.

My old 66 Trade Wind had such a stove top cover as well as sink hole covers just to expand counter space. However, it was made of steel. The wife's 86 has a similar steel stove top cover. My new cooktop in the Overlander came with a dark glass cover. Covering the cooktop or stove is an Airstream standard.

You must be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on your Safari project.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 08-26-2019, 06:39 AM   #207
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Hi David, thanks. The counters turned out to be the look we were looking for.

Yes, I can see the end is near. I am further ahead than my posting. Just finished the propane system over the weekend. Plugged in the 63 year old Kreft refrigerator and it made ice in a little over an hour. Next I will try it on propane.

More exciting news, my wife Lynne, finished the first of four cushions for the dinette and it looks fantastic. She never ceases to amaze me.
Mark
Old 09-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #208
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Maiden Voyage

With a final rush, we actually met our goal and "finished" the trailer in time for the 100th Anniversary Tin Can Tourist North East Rally. Sorry I haven't been posting. I still plan to back fill the construction details I skipped over.

The rally started on Thursday and we planned on leaving Thursday morning. On Wednesday, the day before, we still had curtains and both mattress covers to sew. I may not have mentioned it before, but my wife Lynne and I decided to make all our own cushion covers and curtains. We had two sewing machines running from 6 in the morning until about 6 at night. And we hadn't even thought about what or how to pack the trailer. We made the decision to go a day late to the rally. We would spend the extra day packing, picking up a few things for the trailer and generally catching our breath.

So now it's Friday morning, trailer is all ready to go and we notice one of our old dogs is not getting up to see us off. We had two old dogs that were to stay with a house sitter and we were taking our new puppy to the rally. Long story short, her congestive heart failure had taken a turn for the worse and she had to be euthanized. Not exactly a great start for the trip. At that point we decided we would name the Safari after her. Our trailer is no longer "Unnamed", she is now "Bella".

Name:	IMG_3214.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	352496

We finally got going around 10:30 and then drove 300 miles to Sampson State Campground in Romulus NY. Pulled like a dream, no issues. Since it is basically a new trailer, I didn't expect any.

Name:	IMG_7584.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	352487

My wife and I have never even spent a night in a travel trailer, let alone this newly refurbished one. Turns out we both loved it. The Safari was everything we had hoped and more. And amazingly, all of the systems worked as designed. We used the stove to make espresso and fry eggs, the oven to warm pizza, the beer was ice cold (maybe too cold), the furnace took off the chill in the morning, there was hot water for washing dishes and the bathroom did what it was supposed to do. Definitely a step up from motorcycle camping which was our normal mode of operation.

On Saturday there was an open house and we had a lot of people come by to take a look. Here's a sample of what they saw.

First the bedroom.

Name:	IMG_7602.JPG
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	352488

The dinning room (Can you believe those cushions? My wife Lynne never considered herself a seamstress, but she should now. They came out great)

Name:	IMG_7580.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	352489

The bath

Name:	IMG_3653.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	352491

And looking forward to the galley

Name:	IMG_7599.JPG
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	352490

We spent two nights at the Rally and enjoyed them immensely. The TCT (Tin Can Tourists) are a great bunch of people and it was fun talking with folks that restored their trailers. I enjoyed talking with Safari62 (Gary) and Colin Hyde as well. We will be back next year.

After the rally we weren't quite ready to go home so we headed to another camp ground in the finger lakes region, Taughannock Falls state park. Three nights there and we still weren't ready to come home except we had to. Again 300 miles and no issues.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support during one of the biggest projects I have ever completed. It ended up taking two weeks less than two years, from mouse infested mess to camping. It has been a great adventure.
Mark
Old 09-19-2019, 12:30 AM   #209
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Outstanding!! You are both to be congratulated on a job well done. Bella is a going to be a lot of fun. Predeta
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:15 AM   #210
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
I love, love, love your restoration. It’s just beautiful. If you get back to the Fingerlakes again, try Robert H. Treman state park. The campground itself is nicer than Taughannock and it is also close to Buttermilk Falls. Our son just finished up at Ithaca and we’ve spent a ton of time camping in that area.

sterlinghick is offline   Reply With Quote

« It's a girl!!! | Top | - »