Old 07-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #183
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Looks great . You are a painter . Don’t know what primer you used , but the PPG epoxy primer I use will have to be scuffed no earlier than 72 hrs . I found out the hard way on a big truck I did . Man you’re doing a great job , keep up the good work .

Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Been awhile since I checked in...looking good! Glad to see another '56 Safari coming back to life!

We LOVE our teak mat in the shower - it was a great addition. We had it ordered to fit our pan from Teakworks4U a couple of years ago - especially the teak smell & warmth underfoot at night

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #185
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Joyflea, won't say I'm a painter. Don't do it often enough and the technology keeps changing. When I was painting a bunch, we used lacquer. Nothing like a black lacquer shine after many hours of sanding and buffing. Kind of dates me.

I did use the PPG epoxy. Not sure what you meant by "No earlier than 72 hours". Less than 72 hours, no scuffing required. I was so upset when I ran out, I couldn't hardly look at it for 72 hours. What kind of topcoat did you have trouble with and what happened? Zolatone is so sticky, I was tempted to just shoot it over the hardened epoxy, but I did it the right way, sand and re-prime with more epoxy. This should easily be good for another 60 years.

Sherri, I had bookmarked your section on painting and have probably read it four times. Thanks for your posts.

Brian, I'm not sure any of my wood projects "ooze of craftsmanship". I'm more of a weld it and beat it with a hammer kind of guy. Your's will be the technique I will try and if it doesn't work out I will try Sherri's and buy one and modify it.

Island Trader, didn't mean to scare anyone off, but if I ever do another trailer, I will investigate other options first. I do like the look we ended up with, but it was pricey.

Mark
Old 07-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #186
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Painting Day 3

Realized I hadn't painted the interior of the closet and the inner door frame of the bathroom. Luckily I had still had about a quart of Zolatone left. No problem now I know what to expect. The picture also shows the paint pot I picked up on Amazon for $85. Even includes a spray head with a 2 mm nozzle. Don't think I will be painting any cars with this rig, but it worked great for the Zolatone. Mark
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3526.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	345749
Old 07-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #187
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Mark , the problem I had was reducer pop . It was because I was painting on wood . Used a sealer over epoxy primer after flashing , I guess the reducer came out of the wood and that was what happened. Waited 30 hours , scuffed and shot top coat and it looked great . I called PPG home and called auto color and neither one could tell you anything as they donít test on wood or latex with auto paint . Played around a little and used a good latex primer and after 3 days scuffed and shot single stage auto on and it looks great . Time will tell as I have the board in the sun . See if it will hold up . Latex primer about a third the cost of auto epoxy .
I too started with lacquer and did hundreds of MC tanks and a few autos . Lots of sanding between coats but you could still put on 20 in a day . It would look a mile deep . Have fun . Blue
Old 07-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #188
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
On the not any sooner than 72 hrs. You said you ran out of Z and were scuffing up your primer . If you scuff it you have to shot your top coat within that 72 . It will seal over again . If I have to wait for more than 72 I will schuss again .
I painted a car , primed whole car , shot a red on bottom and could not paint the top for 5 days . Scuffed after 72 then it was about 85 hours before a painted after scuffing . Had problems with that top coat coming off . Lesson learned .
Old 07-08-2019, 04:54 AM   #189
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Blue, thanks for the details on your epoxy issue. I thought the 72 hours was the time it took it to cross link, surprised you had an issue. All of my scuffing was within three days of final anyway and I also sprayed another coat of epoxy primer an hour before. Not to mention the Zolatone is some pretty tough stuff. I should be good. Thanks, Mark
Old 07-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #190
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Progress

Now the interior paint work is done and the floor installed, the real fun has begun. It is a target rich environment to be sure. And things are leaving my basement, hopefully never to return. I must say it is nice having everything cleaned up and ready to go back in.

I started the final assembly by ringing out and marking all of the new wiring. After updating my schematics I then installed all of the light fixtures and plugs. I figured it was easier to reach everything before the furniture gets in the way.

For the 115v, I used marine braided cable, which I now know may have been overkill. To terminate I used crimped fittings with glued shrink wrap. Quite a difference from the original twisted wires with friction tape.

Name:	IMG_3522.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	346114

All of the light fixtures have been converted to 12v and I decided to use two prong connectors instead of hard wiring them. It would bother me to have to cut some wires to remove a fixture. They are really pretty inexpensive.

Name:	IMG_3525.JPG
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	346115

Next in the closet. This part is fun.

Name:	IMG_3545.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	346116
Old 07-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Mark,íthatís all looking perfect. Itís amazing how much your layout looks like our 55. You are entering easy street. What a great feeling. Keep it up, the finish line is in site.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Closet looks great. The final assembly is the fun part, and yes, you have the hard work done. Your Safari will be such fun to travel in. You're going to have a lot of people wanting to check out your 55.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #193
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Update

Been almost a month since my last post. During this part of the build, it seems that all of the projects advance together and I don't like to post until a project is done unless I have questions or am stuck.

All and all it has been coming together nicely. It better, only four weeks until the Tin Can Tourist NE Regional rally. I think we might just make it. Of all the systems, only the propane is yet to do. The electrical and plumbing are done! Just finishing up the new counter tops and they will be installed.

What I will try to do is write a couple of posts a night until I can get caught back up.

Let's start with the fresh water system. Originally she had a galvanized tank which I think was pressurized, under the street side bed. I replaced that with a 20 gallon poly tank and a 12v pump. Using a series of 3 way valves, the tank can be filled from the city inlet or the city can pressurize the trailer.

Here's a schematic of the system.

Name:	FreshWaterSchematic.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	349170

And here's what it looks like together. It was a bit of a puzzle figuring out which order to crimp the joints. All told I used more than 100 crimp rings and not a one of them leaked. PEX is a nice system.

Name:	IMG_3616.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	349171

Here is a top view.

Name:	IMG_3615.JPG
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	349172
Old 08-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #194
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Nice and neat...I have been thinking and rough sketching my lay out and there is only so many ways you can do things...so I was not surprised when looking at yours, it is not so different than what I was thinking.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #195
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I like the idea of filling the tank from city water. I've been playing with that idea, but haven't resolved another puzzle yet. How to 'recirculate' water within the system because of my tankless water heater.

I do have a couple questions.

What source did you find for lead free 3 way valves with the long handles?

If your two drain lines are on the fw tank vent line, won't you have problems draining the fw tank since air can't enter the tank while draining?

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:08 AM   #196
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Waste Plumbing

Harold, I got the valves from Amazon. Search for "NIGO 180SS Series 3-Way (L-Port) Forged Brass Ball Valve". There is a lead free version.

You bring up a good point regarding air lock. I just ran out and tested it. Seems to work fine. And if it didn't, I could use the city fill circuit to relieve any vacuum.

Next I thought I would document the grey water system. Remember this trailer came with no black or grey tanks. Just a straight shot to the sewer pipe. And since the head and kitchen are in the front, the in floor tanks were not the obvious answer they are in so many other restorations. I decided to go with two poly tanks, one 10 gallon to service the bath sink and shower and a larger 16 gallon to handle the kitchen sink. So all plumbing and both tanks are above the floor so no need for auxiliary heat. The other thing I tried to do was have nothing hang below the belly pan other than the dump pipe. It looks original from the outside.

Here is a schematic of the waste circuit.

Name:	WasteWater.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	349260

Here is a picture showing the shower sump in the floor and the valving to empty it. Notice also the switch to the left. That is the Auto-valve open/close switch for the main sewer drain.

Name:	IMG_3644.JPG
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	349261

I then made up a little cover plate to keep items from the locker out of the sump area.

Name:	IMG_3645.JPG
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	349262

And finally this is a lighted switch on the medicine cabinet to actuate the relay for the shower sump. Not sure why the photo rotated. - Mark

Name:	IMG_3602.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	349263

« It's a girl!!! | Top | - »