Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1954 - 1959 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #641
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Where is future floor wax available? no on in area code 60543 doesn't have any idea what I am looking for [big box stores etc.] Bill [featherbededer]
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #642
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Where is future floor wax available? no on in area code 60543 doesn't have any idea what I am looking for [big box stores etc.] Bill [featherbededer]
Future is now sold as Pledge Floor Finish w/Future Shine...looks like the same thing. Available at Wal-Mart, Amazon and most grocery stores I would imagine. I think Mop-n-Glo is essentially the same thing...an acrylic floor finish.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #643
1955 Safari

1955 22' Safari
Enterprise , Alabama
Shari, we're working up a website now to take the place of the tumblr blog. I'll keep you posted. Thanks
Air Stream 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #644
1955 Safari

1955 22' Safari
Enterprise , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Stream 1 View Post
Shari, we're working up a website now to take the place of the tumblr blog. I'll keep you posted. Thanks
The site is up and in its infancy, but there is a lot of content so far. www.vintagetrailerwerkes.com
I just found out I have two bulging discs in my back and am experiencing numbness in my legs, so work has been on hold for a while. Seeing a neurosurgeon tomorrow so pray all goes well and I can get back at it. Thanks again for all the information you two have shared. It has really inspired us.
Mark and Jeanne
Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #645
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
The site is up and in its infancy, but there is a lot of content so far. www.vintagetrailerwerkes.com
I just found out I have two bulging discs in my back and am experiencing numbness in my legs, so work has been on hold for a while. Seeing a neurosurgeon tomorrow so pray all goes well and I can get back at it. Thanks again for all the information you two have shared. It has really inspired us.
Mark and Jeanne
Hi Mark & Jeanne,
I visited your web site and looked at the photos of your ongoing restoration. I see you own a 1955 Safari with the serial number O-6161. I used to own a 1955 Safari with the serial number O-6165. Perhaps they were on the assembly line at the same time!

More interesting, though, I see that your Safari had the very old WBCCI number 576 on it. I looked up those numbers in some old WBCCI Membership Directories and they originally were assigned to Normal and Ethel Best of Midland, Michigan in 1956. The Bests are last listed in the 1963 WBCCI Directory. The most interesting finding is that the Bests participated on several Airstream Caravans:
1- Central America - Winter 1951-52
7 - Mexico - Winter 1956
10 - Cuba - Fall 1956
16 - Mexico - Winter 1958
17 - Central America - Winter 1958

Obviously, they did not own your 1955 Safari when they participated on the 1952-52 Caravan, but I would tend to believe that they took your Safari on their other Caravans! If so, yours would be the first surviving Airstream I have discovered that went to Cuba! The 1958 caravan to Central America was also a big one. You might have a very well traveled Safari. Have you found any clues on it or in materials you may have received with it that could confirm these caravans? Maybe you can celebrate this caravan history somehow during the restoration.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking this thread, we can move this discussion to a thread of your own if you have one started.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #646
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Hey guys, I bit the bullet and ordered the tanks, but negotiated the price via our business.
Cool! I fianlly got a chance to check out your pics...nice!

Quote:
They are in now and I'm fabricating a new belly pan, but am not totally comfortable with the plumbing scheme. Do you have any good pictures of the underside? Or drawings of how you routed the pipes.
I do have some pics posted in my gallery...but I think you've seen those. I'll have to check out my other computer to see if I have any others.

Quote:
Lastly, I really want to thank you guys for the information you've shared on here. You've really helped us with our restoration on our '55.
Awesome - glad you've found my posts helpful!

Quote:
Also, where did you get that 90 you used on the ceiling tank vent?
I'm not sure what you're asking about, but if this (the silver elbow at the ceiling in the restroom - far right):

is what your asking about - it was original to the trailer. Even though our trailer got a full head-to-toe restoration, it was pretty complete - ugly, but complete when we got it.

Something to look for that may work is a end cap & escutcheon plate for a handrail - like the kind used for an ADA grab bar in commercial restrooms. It doesn't have water or anything in it - it's just a trim piece & transition...I think it would work!

Sorry I've taken so long to reply...been super busy - we moved, are in the midst of a remodel & I'm trying to just get things in order so we can go camping!!

Joe's discovery is pretty cool! How fun!!!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #647
1955 Safari

1955 22' Safari
Enterprise , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Hi Mark & Jeanne,
I visited your web site and looked at the photos of your ongoing restoration. I see you own a 1955 Safari with the serial number O-6161. I used to own a 1955 Safari with the serial number O-6165. Perhaps they were on the assembly line at the same time!

More interesting, though, I see that your Safari had the very old WBCCI number 576 on it. I looked up those numbers in some old WBCCI Membership Directories and they originally were assigned to Normal and Ethel Best of Midland, Michigan in 1956. The Bests are last listed in the 1963 WBCCI Directory. The most interesting finding is that the Bests participated on several Airstream Caravans:
1- Central America - Winter 1951-52
7 - Mexico - Winter 1956
10 - Cuba - Fall 1956
16 - Mexico - Winter 1958
17 - Central America - Winter 1958

Obviously, they did not own your 1955 Safari when they participated on the 1952-52 Caravan, but I would tend to believe that they took your Safari on their other Caravans! If so, yours would be the first surviving Airstream I have discovered that went to Cuba! The 1958 caravan to Central America was also a big one. You might have a very well traveled Safari. Have you found any clues on it or in materials you may have received with it that could confirm these caravans? Maybe you can celebrate this caravan history somehow during the restoration.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking this thread, we can move this discussion to a thread of your own if you have one started.
Joe, I can't begin to tell you how cool that is to hear about the history of this thing. What inspiration!! The airstream community never ceases to amaze us with the support inspiration ideas. Thank you all so much.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #648
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Glad I could find something interesting for you. BTW, my post had a couple of typos. The non-obvious one was that he original owners were Norman and Ethel Best.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #649
Rivet Master

Combo-Tank

Here's what Shackman came up with for our 1956 Safari FK he's restoring for us. It's a combo black/gray tank that holds a little over 20gals made of stainless. The kitchen sink drain will have a valve that can/will divert the water into the tank for overnight stops or short weekends. The tank will sit under the toilet and run up under the stove. A negative rake in the bottom of the tank allows for total drainage. When at a campground it can be setup to drain out by-passing the tank all together.

Enjoy,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56 Safari-combo-tank.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	187157  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #650
1955 Safari

1955 22' Safari
Enterprise , Alabama
Quote:

Joe, I can't begin to tell you how cool that is to hear about the history of this thing. What inspiration!! The airstream community never ceases to amaze us with the support inspiration ideas. Thank you all so much.
While polishing yesterday we found these initials in the side. Must be from one of the Best children. I bet they have a good story behind this one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2076954062.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	187184  
Old 06-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #651
1 Rivet Member

South , Texas
nice shape for a vintage
C0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #652
1 Rivet Member

1955 22' Safari
Cheektowaga , New York
Paint Removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We got two gallons of Napier Removall...it works well, but frankly I like the Citristrip better. The Removall smells like ant spray - the Citristrip like orange sherbet and they work equally as well - the Citristrip may work a bit better, at least on this paint. It takes off down through most layers and the Zolatone with one coat. However, we did not want to go all the way to bare metal - there would be more prep to do before re-Zolatone-ing. In the first & last picture, you can see the test area with the Citrastrip over the window. Since we ordered the Removall and it didn't go all the way through - we used it. For those wanting to strip all the way to bare metal, the Citrastrip would be better.

Shari
Hello InsideOut.

My first post here on the site... hope I quoted right. Great job in the 56 Safari here. Your thread has been a tremendous help already and I've barely started. Cant believe how much information is available. Just acquired a 54' Safari and can't believe what an Airstream junkie I've become all of a sudden.

I was curious about your interior panel paint removal process. I wanted to avoid going to bare metal as you mentioned the extra steps after removing the Zolatone. Did the Removall/Pressure washer technique leave the zolatone intact? and was the finish ok to be repainted after that?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am in the process of making a new forum...but seems researching and working on my new pride and joy is consuming my life!

Great job once again in the Safari so far (still working my way through your thread).

-Jon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1_SiteAcceptance.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	187433   Click image for larger version

Name:	10_RoughFloor.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	187434  

Name:	3_DriggingThings.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	187435  
Jonn Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #653
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Wow Jon! Cool!!! Looks like you'd have to be an Airstream-junkie to fall hard on this one. Takes one to know one, right?! It's hard to tell what's going on with the paint there - I would be tempted to get rid of it all and repaint either with a solid paint color or Zolatone.

I actually did not like the Removall - I much preferred Citristrip for inter paint removal - it's easier to find, available in smaller portions, don't have to mail order, smells MUCH better and worked as well or better on the paint in our trailer.

Whether or not you can salvage the Zolatone beneath the latex paint will depend on how it was painted. On ours, no way. the latex was too thick then a glaze was over that - to get a stripper to cut through the mess, it also removed the Zolatone some. The only thing that might work on just the latex is Motsenbockers Lift Off. If the PO did a 1/2-@$$ job prepping & painting it will remove the latex and leave the Zolatone. 50's Zolatone is not a latex so it is unaffected. We had a few areas this worked on ours - but overall, the glaze proved too tough for the Lift Off - it wouldn't budge. However, if the paint is stuck on really good - it won't come off w/o trying something stronger - like CitriStrip.

We ended up re-Zolatoning ours - and have not regretted the effort or expense to do so.

Regardless, Once you get the majority of the paint off - rinse it off really well with clear water - we used a power washer because the floor was out. If you don't rinse it well, whatever you put over it will not adhere due to the chemical residue.

Good luck! Post more pics when you get a chance~

Shari

Old 02-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #654
1955 Safari

1955 22' Safari
Enterprise , Alabama
Shari,
I'm back at it again! Could you sen me some pictures of your windows? Ours were disassembled when we bought it and I can't seem to find any pictures of what the finished assembly looks like. I get how they work, but don't see how the screen goes over the mechanical arm. Is there a trim piece I'm missing?
Thank you guys for everything.
Mark and Jeanne
Old 02-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #655
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
I'll have to go out to the trailer (in my yard - but there's about a foot of snow on the ground) on Saturday and take some pictures for you. Stay tuned...

You do have to cut a small slit in the screen for the handle as I recall.

Shari
Old 07-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #656
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
when you put in the center pieces did you start from outside the shell and slide it in or did you install from the inside and push out one side of the shell?
ASTailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #657
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
I assume you are asking about the plywood floor...we put it in from the inside. The entire c-channel was loose, we slipped it in place on one side and pushed out the other.

You don't say if this is what you are attempting to do on your '81 but I am certain the construction of the c-channel/outriggers/floor is quite a bit different than on our '56. I know just between our '56 and our former '64 the means of attachment was different. I believe at some point in the late '60s Airstream went to a channel that held the floor rather than just sitting on the outriggers as in our '56.

Hope this answers your question though...

Shari

Old 08-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #658
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Smile stainless steel shower

InsideOut I am redoing my shower on my 88 325, Wondering how the stainless steel has held up? Thanks Jonathan
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #659
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
InsideOut I am redoing my shower on my 88 325, Wondering how the stainless steel has held up? Thanks Jonathan
It's help up awesome! It looks just like it did new...we did add a teak mat to the pan because it's cold underfoot in the morning. But other than that, I would not change a thing...

Shari

Old 07-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #660
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
It's time for a change!

So it's been 9+ years since we finished our restoration...we haven't wanted to change a thing, except the curtains. The "old curtains" have been the vain of my existence every trip for a couple of years. They worked fine for the first couple of years, however because they are always in the sun, the elastic tabs started to degrade (sag) and the plastic glides began to wear down. The result was they became impossible to open/close easily. They would stick in the rail or pull out completely every time we opened or closed them. This became a very sore subject between my impatient husband & I (who has only slightly more patience) and could open/close them. Every morning & every night - it was a frustration on both of our parts.

So before setting out on a month-long trip, I decided to take that out of the equation of co-existing in a very small space - there was no way I wanted to deal with that twice a day for a month! So I made new curtains. We no longer care that they are "period correct" - we want to use our trailer not show it.

So, for the new ones - my goal was to make it so they wouldn't be dependent on "me" opening/closing them. They are very simple with cafe' rods I got at Home Depot (I had to buy a couple of extra sets to make a long enough continuous rod for the street side)and¾" grommets I ordered online.

The streetside rods are continuous and attached inbetween the windows. The curtains span over the bracket so we can't open them all the way - they stack in sections at the two window jambs & at both ends. But we LOVE them! I think I ended up using close to 200 grommets and they were pretty tough buggers to rubber-mallet install. But it was totally worth it - no more arguing over curtains!

Shari