Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51cruiser
hi
I don't have a 51 Flying Cloud but have a 51 Cruiser. Better pictures of it are on the vintageairstream.com site. Safari57 wow yours looks great. The soda blasting that you are talking about is it expensive?

danette
It depends on who does it. You can rent them here, at least, and buy the soda. A friend of mine had the front fenders and several other parts done on a '66 chev and the fellow who does it had to travel quite a ways to get to him, and it was a couple of hundred dollars. You should ask around and phone the rental shops. It may also be found under media blasting as sometimes they use walnut shells, pieces of chopped up plastic, etc. So far my experience has been with something as maleable as aluminum I'm unwilling to use anything but water or soda to blast it. Hope that helps.
I'll go take a look at that Cruiser. In our local paper tonight there's a '52 - 30 ft, needs interior done, no price. It's neat that trailers almost 60 years old are still out there, for sale, and being rebuilt and used. It sure says something for the quality of them and the lasting impression they have made on us. Barry

Old 10-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Mark, I posted a few on this web of what it looked like before I started ripping in. The interior is completely gutted now. I have taken no pictures yet but will soon. I started a personal web to document progress, but have not uploaded it. I have come out of my 2 year retirement to substitute teach just to pay for this new hobby and they are working me too much.
Greg aka captainJones

Old 10-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Is yours 6075 or 6078? Both look sweet.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I like the look of the cruiser. They have just a bit more room in them for longer trips that make them a tad more liveable. Very nice unit Danette.

What do you tow it with? I see you also live in a beautiful part of the country. I used to live in Southern Alberta and was down your way from time to time. We now live in Vancouver, BC.

Barry
Old 10-12-2005, 08:55 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Here are a couple of pictures of my Cloud as found before I started work.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJones
Here are a couple of pictures of my Cloud as found before I started work.
Love it. What a nice "find". I was fortunate that mine had already been partly restored. I didn't like what was done so redid much of it, but it meant I was dealing with an already reasonably solid unit. I redid cupboards, did the hardwood floor, built the bathroom and back beds, new table, put gray and black waste system in, installed a power converter, did the wood blinds and a ton of small things like installing a hidden A/C unit and microwave. I'd looked at quite a few that needed more, and I have a '58 Silver Streak that's really nice outside but I've gutted the inside (was moused out). So I had a solid floor to work with and the basics in place. It looks as though yours is much the same as mine when I got it. It took me four months of weekends and evenings to get it to the stage where we felt comfortable taking it out. You will find that it can get almost embarrassing when you stop for gas or to camp with the number of people who want to ask about it and take a look inside. We learned after the first stop that the number of people who admire and want an older Airstream far surpasses the quantity available.

I'll be watching for in progress pics and if you need anything like dimensions etc. don't hesitate to let me know. I try to check the forum every couple of days when I'm on the road for work.
Barry
Old 10-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Since there really is no vintage interior parts to work with I will not be able to afford a restore. I have a lot of ideas, but no final plan. I do intend to put in quality and not the pressed board and plastic it had. I want something I am proud of in the end.

I know what you are talking about people wanting to see it. Even in it's present shape on the trip home with it I had people ask "how old" and want to see it. I remember the first vintage one I looked at about 15 years ago I stopped a guy at a rest stop to see his. I didn't know then I would own one now, I just knew it was a piece of workmanship.
Greg

Tags
flying cloud