Old 02-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #253
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyflea View Post
Your work is outstanding . Would love to see it in person . Will be in FT in April for an antique MC meet . Hint Hint . Blue
Sure, drop by. We will be going to Inks Lake SP sometime in April for a trial run. I will PM you my contact info.

Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:54 AM   #254
3 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Williston , Vermont
Bubba, seeing what you have accomplished really inspires me to get outside and back to work on the Safari. Still way to cold to spray Zolatone and besides my trailer is buried in the back of my barn. I'll start working on it about the same time you are going on your trial run. I signed up for a TCT rally in September, so I do have a hard date.

Next winter we hope to do an extended trip thru the south and south west, so maybe we could stop by and take a look. You are doing gorgeous work.

Was getting the stove top re-chromed a big deal? I really need to do the same.

Mark

Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #255
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Mark,’having the stove top re-chromed was not a big deal. The guy we used knows his business. If the metal is too thin he won’t take a chance. We had a small group of items chromed at the same time. I don’t know the availability of people in your area that chrome. If your future travels finds you in central Texas, let me know.
Setting a completion date for the Safari gives you a realistic goal to work toward. We did that and hope it’s not too aggressive. Good luck on the weather.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #256
4 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Bubba. You’re kitchen looks sharp. Like the choice of stain and those old appliances.
Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy9107 View Post
Bubba. You’re kitchen looks sharp. Like the choice of stain and those old appliances.
Thanks Jeremy. We really didn’t use stain per say. Amber shellac, sanding sealer and a couple coats of clear shellac on Baltic birch. We still have the original piece of bulkhead adjacent to where the stove was. When I took the aluminum heat shields off to use as patterns, we saw the perfectly preserved area that was original. Luckily it is the same color and sheen as the amber shellac we have.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #258
4 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
I like the natural look you accomplished and since I forgot to ask, glad you offered how you did it. Am getting ready to coat my cherry cabinets. Wanted to keep natural color and not have too much glossy shine. Might go similar as you minus the amber shellac. What is difference between shellac and polyurethane and what is sanding sealer?
Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #259
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy9107 View Post
I like the natural look you accomplished and since I forgot to ask, glad you offered how you did it. Am getting ready to coat my cherry cabinets. Wanted to keep natural color and not have too much glossy shine. Might go similar as you minus the amber shellac. What is difference between shellac and polyurethane and what is sanding sealer?
Jeremy, I think shellac brings out the depth and natural beauty of the wood grain. We used some amber to get close to the color of the cabinetry in 1955. When I finished building a piece, I sanded starting with 220, then 320, and finished with 400 grit sandpaper. Then to the finish table. My wife started with a coat of Zinnsser Amber. When dry, super lightly sanded with 400 or 600. Second coat of amber, same as the first. After second coat, apply Zinnsser Seal Coat, which is a sanding sealer. Following that with light sanding, apply two coats of Zinnsser Clear Shelac. It sounds like a lot, but it dries pretty quickly. I really like the almost iridescent depth of the birch grain. In your case, skip the amber and place clear. The number of coats will determine the sheen you want. If I were you, I would take a scrap piece and go through the whole process until you achieve the sheen and depth you want. She used a high quality synthetic brush and a pad in some cases. Look up “padding” shellac. Hope this helps.