Old 04-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Talking Our "new" baby- the oldest one yet- a 1953 Flying Cloud

Well we were dropping off our '67 Globetrotter at GSM for repairs/ renovations and had a walk around the lot. This one caught our eye and is now our next restoration project. This coming winter we are finishing the '61 Overlander so the Flying Cloud will have to wait till the following winter. It seems like a long time away, but we will need some time to figure out what we are going to do with the floor plan. We are going to keep the vintage feel to it (without going overboard). We will repair and reuse the stove/ fridge/ and really cool pipe furnace. We are thinking the trailer will be used for short trips, car shoes, entertaining, and so forth. Therefore we want the trailer to have ample kitchen/ entertaining space and a nice gaucho/ dinette area. We have seen a bathroom in one flying cloud with a folding sink (it would be awesome if we could find one or duplicate one). The bathroom in this one is certainly custom and a little awkward. Enjoy the photos and we are looking for suggestions on the floor plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	58327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	58328  

Name:	IMG_0698.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	58329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0699.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	58330  

Name:	P1010012.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	58331   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	58332  

Name:	P1010011.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	58333   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	58334  

Name:	IMG_0705.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	58335   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	58336  

Old 04-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams
Well we were dropping off our '67 Globetrotter at GSM for repairs/ renovations and had a walk around the lot. This one caught our eye and is now our next restoration project. This coming winter we are finishing the '61 Overlander so the Flying Cloud will have to wait till the following winter. It seems like a long time away, but we will need some time to figure out what we are going to do with the floor plan. We are going to keep the vintage feel to it (without going overboard). We will repair and reuse the stove/ fridge/ and really cool pipe furnace. We are thinking the trailer will be used for short trips, car shoes, entertaining, and so forth. Therefore we want the trailer to have ample kitchen/ entertaining space and a nice gaucho/ dinette area. We have seen a bathroom in one flying cloud with a folding sink (it would be awesome if we could find one or duplicate one). The bathroom in this one is certainly custom and a little awkward. Enjoy the photos and we are looking for suggestions on the floor plan.
It looks great, congratulations!

My only question is, do you plan on leaving any Airstreams for the rest of us????

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
3streams - What a find!! I might consider murder to get my hands on that one. Surely there is another, less vintage / collectable than this one? The toilet looks out of place, and I really like double/queen (even if only RV queen) beds, but . . . original stove, fridge, at least kitchen woodwork? Please please do think twice before making too many changes to this one. Damn, if I only had more money and less good taste . . .
Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
My only question is, do you plan on leaving any Airstreams for the rest of us????
They aren't making any more of them and when you see one you have to grab it! They are all for sale- for the right price Let us know what your looking for and we will keep an eye out for you. We are waiting for fishing season to start around here because there is a great '62 Globetrotter "fishing shack" a few miles away.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams
They aren't making any more of them and when you see one you have to grab it! They are all for sale- for the right price Let us know what your looking for and we will keep an eye out for you. We are waiting for fishing season to start around here because there is a great '62 Globetrotter "fishing shack" a few miles away.
Ha! Since you obviously have the knack, I'll gladly tell you what I'm looking for and see if you can work your magic on my behalf (and many thanks for the kind offer! ). For some reason, I don't ever seem to stumble across those great deals and amazing barn finds-- my only leads always seem to be those WAY overpriced auction deals where someone attempts to put a tiny bit of spit-shine on a project and then they try to flip it for 4x what they paid for it.

I'm really looking for an early-mid-60s Overlander, I like the size, weight, and tandem axles. You have one of these, so you probably know what I like about them even more than I know what I like about them.

But just for grins and since you're obviously a Vintage Airstream Veteran with an eye for the 50s models, what might you pay for something like this:

vintagealuminumrv's latest slideshow on Flickr
Old 04-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I'm really looking for an early-mid-60s Overlander, I like the size, weight, and tandem axles. You have one of these, so you probably know what I like about them even more than I know what I like about them.

But just for grins and since you're obviously a Vintage Airstream Veteran with an eye for the 50s models, what might you pay for something like this:

Wow- don't let me husband see that (we don't have a whale tale and he really wants one). The wood work is great - you could pull it out, clean it up, and reuse it all. Anything of this era (unless it was kept in a barn and never camped in) should probably be taken down to skins and the frame will probably need re-enforced in areas and the floor will need to be replaced. To properly replace the floor you have to take at least the lower interior skins off and you might as well take them all out and redo the insulation (mouse nests) and the wiring (safety first). The skin looks pretty good except for a few dings (we call them age spots). Overall a nice looking trailer I wouldn't be surprised to see it go over $5000 on e-bay pretty easily (especially if its on the west coast- higher prices) If you are doing the work yourself then pay a little more for it- if you are paying someone to restore (more cost- typically nicer outcome) then offer the owner $3500 and see where they go. If it makes it to e-bay you will have to fight my husband to the last bid HaHa! Good luck- don't pass that up!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. Like I said, I really like the early 60s Overlanders due to the tandem axles and their overall size, weight, and styling. But when I saw this '54 Cruiser I had to go take a look at it. The whale tail is very striking. The unit is here in Austin and, like California, the prices here appear to be inflated over the general Market. The seller is asking $8500, and that definitely seemed steep to me.

Anyway, don't want to hijack your thread any more than I already have. I look forward to seeing what you do with this new FC, it has great bones and tons of potential.

Thanks!
-Marcus
Old 04-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. Like I said, I really like the early 60s Overlanders due to the tandem axles and their overall size, weight, and styling.
We are going to be turning our '56 Cruiser/ Overlander into a tandem axle to improve travel (it will be our long distance travel trailer- trip to Alaska and what not). We like the Overlander model because it has a thoughtful layout and ample room and storage. Click here for pics of ours.. 1961 airstream Overlander

Good Luck in your search- I will keep an eye out for you
Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Talking

Marcus,
We would be glad to keep an eye open for you. You just have to be diligent and ask around, look around, and be curious/nosey. It depends what your overall intentions for the trailer are. Like April said they are not producing the older ones anymore and there is a finite number available. So it may be worth paying a bit more if you intend to do work on your own and keep it for a while. That trailer looks great but you need to keep a eye open for the usual suspects that occur in older trailers. You will want to poke around the edge of the inside skin at the floor to check for soft/rotton spots with a screwdriver or ice pick. Wiring will need to be checked, plumbing, window seals, vent seals, door seals(you get the picture). The great thing is is that most of the supplies to repair these items are available online or at a hardware store. And you can do the work yourself. I chose to do windows, vents, plumbing and polishing myself but an going to have GSM vehicles repair my axles and safety check the trailer. I hope that this gives a little insight and help for you. Let us know if you have other questions.
Andy.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes, thanks again to both Andy and April, your advice and points are all well-taken. I intend to buy for the long-term and do as much of the work myself as possible. I'm pretty handy and I've redone a couple of boats, plus a ton of DIY house work, so I feel very comfortable and indeed look forward to doing the work to get a vintage trailer up to speed.

Your '61 Overlander is simply gorgeous, and exactly what I have had in mind.

My apologies again for hijacking your thread, that definitely wasn't my intent, and I really do look forward to seeing what you do with the FC-- it looks like it will make a fantastic restoration project for you.

Thanks!
-Marcus
Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Marcus,
Forget about it! (In my best Italian accent) I don't consider it hijacking. I wanted to say earlier that there was a 61' or 62' Overlander on e-bay recently. If my memory serves me well it was in the midwest and had been relisted for a second time. You may e able to contact the seller direct to see the trailer or even, dare I say, meet him and buy off e-bay. It may be worth the look. Half the fun is doing the renovations and repairs yourself. Knowing your limitations is the other half of the equation. Good luck in your search.
Andy
Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

Wow! Who went after the inside of that trailer with a shotgun?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
What an outstanding project find! I can hardly wait to see more photos. The outside looks great. The inside looks just as good and I'm sure we would all love to hear your furture plans for this project.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Wow! Who went after the inside of that trailer with a shotgun?
Seller said it happened when a PO had it out on the range in Colorado. I actually don't mind it, kind of adds character IMO, though obviously any structural issues and leaks would need to be assessed and dealt with properly.

Tags
1953, flying cloud