Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1950-1955 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Original Tail Light Lenses?

Curious if the tail light lenses on our project '51 FC are original to the trailer. They're definitely of the era, but looking at other '51s I haven't seen any with them and these are held on with three different types of screws which is in line with the PO's other 'modifications'. They're the step type that look like the Reflect-O-Lites (these are Trail-Lites) that Vintage Trailer Supply used to carry. They're pretty beat, but if they're original I'll be adding them to the (long) list of restorations--trying to keep her as stock as possible. Otherwise I'll just replace. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail Lights.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	193150  
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I thought that these were the original lights: Bargman No.2 That is what my 1954 Liner had.

Take of the ones you have and see if there are some different holes in the skin.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
Curious if the tail light lenses on our project '51 FC are original to the trailer. They're definitely of the era, but looking at other '51s I haven't seen any with them and these are held on with three different types of screws which is in line with the PO's other 'modifications'. They're the step type that look like the Reflect-O-Lites (these are Trail-Lites) that Vintage Trailer Supply used to carry. They're pretty beat, but if they're original I'll be adding them to the (long) list of restorations--trying to keep her as stock as possible. Otherwise I'll just replace. Thanks!
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Yeah, I'd be surprised if those are original. Mine is a '52 and it has the small rectangular ones. Prior to mine they also used a single light in the middle....but that might have been prior to '51.

Lee
riv-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Hi,
Here's a photo of the stock tail lights.
I think what happened was that the Vehicle Code changed and required a tail light w/more area or brightness and so many of the owners replaced their lights w/the latest tail light so they'd be in compliance . . .

Do you have the small glass "Beehive" Side Running Lights? Or did they replace those too? And where are the Running Lights? Down Low like mine or about half way Up the wall?

I notice you also have those very rare/unique windows - about half mine are plexiglass, and I'm guessing it's going to be "fun" replacing w/ glass w/ radius corners . . . mine, as you can see, is a real "project" and is unfortunately 2nd in line (of airstream projects) . . . AND it looks like we're just a few miles apart.

Good Luck w/your project.
MarkR

(oh, and mine is #7171)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1951 FC TailLightDetail.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	193177  

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
The windows on my Liner all are rectangular, they only appear to have rounded corners because of the window frame.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Hi,
Here's a photo of the stock tail lights.
I think what happened was that the Vehicle Code changed and required a tail light w/more area or brightness and so many of the owners replaced their lights w/the latest tail light so they'd be in compliance . . .

Do you have the small glass "Beehive" Side Running Lights? Or did they replace those too? And where are the Running Lights? Down Low like mine or about half way Up the wall?

I notice you also have those very rare/unique windows - about half mine are plexiglass, and I'm guessing it's going to be "fun" replacing w/ glass w/ radius corners . . . mine, as you can see, is a real "project" and is unfortunately 2nd in line (of airstream projects) . . . AND it looks like we're just a few miles apart.

Good Luck w/your project.
MarkR

(oh, and mine is #7171)
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
The windows on my Liner all are rectangular, they only appear to have rounded corners because of the window frame.

Bill
These are round (as are mine). Look at the photo in his original post - you can see the radius (at an angle, so it's not obvious). Anyway, I think they only used these particular windows for 1 or maybe 2 years. The frame, or sash actually, is just rounded channel that captures the glass edge. And then the Gasketing is another problem w/out a solution . . .

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Thanks for the input! Mark, I think you're on to something there with the 'replaced to code' idea. Once I get to taking the interior caps off I'll be able to get a look at the wiring and that should confirm it, I'm guessing. Seeing as these are so beat down I'm sure they've been there most of the trailer's life, but I'm glad they're not stock so I can have a clean conscience about replacing completely.
We do have the low-slung beehives, although we only have three of four original lenses (the replacement fourth is on the Vintage Trailer Supply wish list). We're also VERY fortunate to have all the glass intact and crack-free throughout the trailer. Well, Almost all of it. One of the PO's decided to take a hacksaw to the front window to make way for an air conditioner. The AC is gone, but the hole remains and goes into the frame below the window. He did re-attach the cut frame piece to its vertical supports, just down an inch. I did mention this was going to be a project, right?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Here's a photo from inside.

Name:	image-4160907949.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	193187
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Those Trail-Lites are not the original tail lights

Hi calais 66:

I note your 1951 Flying Cloud is serial number 7091 built in Los Angeles, Calif. The center light on your FC looks like it might have been attached with 3 screws in a triangular pattern. If you find that screw pattern centered on your rear panel, then your original tail light consisted of a single round tail & brake light assembly with a dual filament light bulb inside for separate tail and brake light functions, pictured below, and not the Bargman No. 2 rectangular combination tail and brake lights mentioned earlier in this thread.

Your trailer also might have had separate single filament bulb Yankee Turnmaster directional lights on the left and right sides of the rear panel. The Yankee Turnmaster directional lights would have required a ~1" diameter hole for mounting, so if you find such holes underneath your present Trail-Lite "wedding cake" taillights, you will know your trailer originally had Yankee Turnmaster directional lights.

1951 Flying Cloud s/n 7099, pictured below, had the single centered tail and brake light and two Yankee Turnmaster turn signals mounted horizontally. The turn signals could also be mounted vertically by rotating them 90 degrees.

If you are not aiming for 100% originality, I'd suggest you install two 4" diameter flush mount red LED combination tail and brake lights where the Trail-Lites are presently mounted, and install a Bargman license plate light with a repro red lens cap on its end in the center of the rear panel. But whatever you choose, have fun relighting your rear end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear exterior tail lights.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	193201  
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Wow! Lots of great info. Thanks! New lights are the way to go. I'm of the mind that what's left and original should be preserved and everything else should be upgraded. Now I just need to convince myself to sink the $$$ into the repro Bargman!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Sorry this not to the original topic so if you have another thread let me know. I would be interested in how you treat your windows. Being single strength, how do you get them into their frames? What do you use for a gasket? Thanks
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Luckily my windows all came in intact, but would love to know this as well just in case