Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1950-1955 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #161
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Good luck for the weekend for you guys. Can't wait to see all the progress you'll make. You're going to be ahead of me again!

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #162
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Steve,

No guarantees we will get all that work done, but we are trying damned hard to do so. You are still ahead since I started this over a year ago, and I am only at this point.

Steve
Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #163
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
How to build a trailer in nine hours

I know it has been several months since my last post, but I have been busy. A couple of weeks ago, Amy and I hosted the 50th Anniversary rally to celebrate Cape Town to Cairo. At the rally, several forum folks were asking me when I was going to have my Flying cloud ready. My reply was, "Never at my current pace without any help!". Several of them said that they would be interested in helping me right the ship so to speak, and we set up October 3rd to meet up and do the work.

I have found that using the three steps below, you can accomplish anything.

Step 1: Recruit outstanding people to help you in your effort. Thank you so much to Mike, Tina, Alan, Rob, Jonathan, Roger, and Bob. Without your help, this project probably wouldn't have gotten to this point for another year. Other than being gracious enough to help with the rebuild, everyone showed up pretty early in the morning (for a Saturday), and some drove from an hour or over two hours away. These people are great friends to do this.

Step 2: Supply BBQ to the workers not once, but twice. I fired up the smoker at around 0700 to cook the chicken and pork shoulder. The chicken was done for lunch, and the pork made excellent dinner. Thank you Tina for bringing the apple/sweet potato dish, and the cookies.

Smoker rolling at 0730

Step 3: Have the right tools for the job. I had most all the tools for the build that were needed, but the fact that everyone brought more tools really helped out. Mike brought his sheet metal tools, and was a great knowledge source for the belly pan. A creeper would have been a great thing to have after rolling around on my back under the belly pan.

Jonathan was the first arrival short after 0800. We had a short discussion, had some breakfast strudel, and started getting things ready. Shortly after we pulled out the wheel wells, Roger, Bob, Alan, and Rob arrived minutes within one another.

We began with centering the wheel wells over the tires, and took measurements for the new Advantech flooring we would be using. Jonathan used it in his, and I read on the forums how great it was. Roger jumped right in and began cutting.

Making sure the wells fit correctly

Bob, Roger, Alan, and Jonathan survey the sheet before cutting

Roger Makes the first crosscut

As most of us were working on the floor and wheel wells, Bob took it upon himself to put in new bracing of the shell. This was a tedious task that he did alone for the most part. It was really being an unsung hero since he was off in his own little world.

Checking the old bracing

Bob decides it needs to be redone

While attaching the first sheet of flooring, Mike and Tina showed up. Mike immediately began screwing down the second sheet of flooring into the frame. At this point there was a small dilemma, and a new piece of plywood was required along with more #2 Phillips head bits, and some decking screws to assist Bob in his bracing. When I returned, the third middle floor section was cut and attached.

Before we could drop the shell, we would have to get the C channel on, and the belly pan. I bolted the channel through each outrigger with a wide head elevator bolt, and bent the end of the bolt over once the nut was fastened tightly. Between the outriggers I used hex headed zinc plated screws with neoprene washers on them. I hope the washers will prevent some of the corrosion that had occurred with the last floor bolts that were installed.

With the middle flooring and C channel installed, we turned out eyes to the belly pan. First temporarily fastened it to the C channel on one side with some Cleco fasteners. After the Clecos were in, we began to form it to the bottom of the belly pan with the help of some pulling, and 2x4's to hold it against the floor bottom. I laid under the trailer and drilled up through the belly pan and the frame to have a good spot to rivet. The frame space just rear of the axle was left open inbetween the main frame rails. This will allow me to accompdate a gray water tank in the future. We dud however wrap from the channel to the main rail.

Cleco Vision

Mike forms the rear wheel well pan

Mike measures while I drill holes, and rivet the pan into place

Mike measures for the partial belly

Roger, Mike, and Alan cutting the partial pan

We finally finished fitting the belly pan for the middle section, and it was time to buck rivet the pan to the channel. I had bought my rivet gun and bucking bar so long ago, and finally I had a chance to use it. I was unsure about the bucking process, but Mike (MASTER of all trades) was very familiar with it. He held the bucking bar and told me to just feather the trigger to mash the buck tail. A few seconds later, I felt like I had mastered the process. Bucking rivets isn't anything like I imagined. It was fast, easy, inexpensive, and very fun. Bob wanted his turn at bucking as well since he will be restoring his Around the World Ambassador. Roger, Jonathan, and myself fell into such a groove while bucking rivets down the line. Jonathan compared us to a NASCAR pit crew since we were moving so fast.

Clamp, rivet, repeat

Roger takes over as the bucker while I hammer the rivets

The pit crew in action

Bob tries his hand at bucking

The weather was starting to get cooler out, and we were losing daylight. We knew we had to get the shell moving if we were to get it done. We rolled the chassis out of the spot we were working on it, and up in front of the shell.

We hooked the chassis up to Alan's truck so when we put weight down, it wouldn't shoot the tongue up in the air. All six of us went inside the trailer and lined up three in front, and three in the back. We lifted the shell by the bracing, and walked forward. I was the first to arrive at the chassis, and had to step over the first cross members, and then onto the first section of flooring. The others followed until we were completely over the frame.

The three young guns prepping to lift

Over the frame shimmying into place

After the shimmy, we were finally in place to stop. The shell is back on, but not completely fastened yet. That will have to be done once I get the new flooring and belly pan in place. It looks a little weird without the fender covers over the wheel wells and missing half the pan, but it doesn't look that bad to me.

Shell on...for at least another 56 years

We cleaned up our giant mess, people loaded their tools into the vehicles, and we proceeded to feast on BBQ and the normal fixings. I am sore, tired, but overall extremely grateful for the friends who game me their Saturday.

Steve
Old 10-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Congrats on the milestone Steve!! Great crew too!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #165
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Great photo-documentation & narration, Steve. Thanks for posting.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #166
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Thanks Bill and Scott. My thread may not be a flashy resto or anything, but the work is still there.

I was just informed that Xbob (ATW trailer), is coming over at 0900 to help me finish the belly and floor tomorrow. All I need to do is electrical and I can tow again!!!!

Steve
Old 10-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #167
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Steve,
I really appreciate the detail and pictures. Quite motivating for those of us involved in any type of restore process. What's the old saying?--10% knowledge and 90% perseverance. In your case, however, it looks like you had a crew with 100% of each. Great job guys & gals!!! Looking forward to seeing much of “the crew” in Branson this weekend.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow! I want a crew too! Great job.. wish I were closer to help.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #169
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Steve, I am sure it was a great feeling of accomplishment when you lowered that shell back on to the chassis. Thanks for sharing this thread.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #170
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Thanks for the positive comments as it makes doing all this work more rewarding.

One thing I was confused about is the channel fitting of the ribs. When I had new channel made, I gave the shop an old piece of the c channel to use in fabricating. It measures 1.5" like the old channel, but I wonder if it is a few thousandths off. The reason I say this is because not all the ribs are mating flat on the channel floor. I have considered making a few relief cuts to get it to fully seat. Since the shell will still be fully riveted to the outside channel wall, it shouldn't make that much of a difference. I'll get some pics later tonight.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Just so you know, not all of my ribs on the '63 go all the way to the channel... go figure! Probably some of the ribs where cut a bit wider... I wouldnt' worry too much about it UNLESS the body is hanging up.. then yes.. I'd cut the channel to make the ribs go all the way down. Nice work!
Marc
Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #172
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Here are some pics. The one with really bad looking channel is where the shell caught it coming down. You can see that almost none of the ribs are sitting flush on the floor. The ribs do come in at an angle instead of a straight "U" shape.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	two ribs raised.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	88216   Click image for larger version

Name:	bent channel 2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	88217  

Name:	channel bent 3.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	88218   Click image for larger version

Name:	rib raised.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	88219  

Old 10-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
They come in the same way on mine, Steve, and like Marc said, some of the ribs even end above the C channel.

Congrats on a great weekend.

cheers,
steve

Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
We had several ribs on the 63 that stopped 6 inches above the C channel. Those channels will straighten up real nice, great looking work though. Same guys that built Marc's built ours, (ours are only a couple numbers apart). Amazing to see how they spliced to use scraps etc too.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #175
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Scott, Marc, and Steve....do you have any pics of your ribs?

The straight axle we installed definitely gave us the ride height and clearance we were looking for. Since there is only the step inside the door we will likely buy a small aluminum step similar to the one Sugarfoot has.

I am hoping to have the resto of my floor in tomorrow, and maybe the rest of the belly pan.

Steve
Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Scott, Marc, and Steve....do you have any pics of your ribs?
I just checked and nothing very good, but I'll try to take some tomorrow.

steve

Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #177
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Thanks Steve!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Haven't seen my ribs since college...

Here's a couple shots, nothing real up close. I know I have more. I should point out too many of the 63's ribs were sliced on the bottom 2 or 3 inches leaving a thin slice of metal missing where the rib sat into the C Channel, on the skin side, presumably to make setting the shell on easier, but also eliminated the ability to rivet the rib to the exterior verticle portion of the C Channel where it meets the exterior skin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PIC-0132.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	88226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5156.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	88227  

Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
My ribs? Smoked or BBQ?

Hmm... I'm with Scott.. any ribs I see (preferably beef!) I tend to eat promptly..

Yes, the same folks made my trailer just like Scott's.. splices (see that front rib that goes down Right of the front window! Same as mine, why the splice?..), ribs not hitting the C-channel by at least 4 inches..

Ugh! Scott, that's what I've been getting rid of.. I hate fiberglass insulation for the nice homes they make for mice... YUK! Only 6 feet left!

Ok, here's a not so good pic, but if you enlarge it, you'll see the second rib from the left does not hit the ground.. the window ribs stop short of the c-channel, and then have tapered ends riveted to them.. they are tapered, so they just sit in the c-channel without anything holding them in.

About every 3rd rib or so doesn't hit the c-channel.
Hope that helps!
Marc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6387.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	88234  
Old 10-05-2009, 05:48 AM   #180
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Marc,

Event when I enlarge it, I can't really get a good glimpse of the ribs. Let me ask this....having seen my ribs posted above and your ribs up close, do you think I need to worry about anything?

Steve

Tags
1953, cloud, flying, restoration, vintage, flying cloud