Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1950-1955 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #241
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Included in the price was a 27 month service plan that replaces the tool if it stops working for any reason.

I do plan to blast the stubborn paint off a few interior panels along with the wall paper on some pieces in prep for zolatone on the interior.

Steve
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #242
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Looks good to me. BTW..no leaks this weekend while in Illinois and 3 inches of precip to wade through. Looks like the Captain Tolleys did a good job on my rig. We are off to DC for a week and then headed back down south to Mississippi.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #243
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I too, am a Harbor Freight fan... I gotta look into the soda blaster set up next time I'm over there.

You're really making some progress now, man. Way to go!

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #244
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Deauxrite...did you use Cap'n Trolly's on all the leaks we located or just on the small ones?

The weather here has been raining like crazy since last weekend. I have had no chance to get outside and work on buttoning up the rear of the trailer for winter. I am hoping for a break in the weather to accomplish this, and rivet everything back. I have noticed a alot of condensation on the interior (Not leaks), and a few leak points that need to be sealed on the front window.

Please stop raining and let the sun come out for this weekend...please!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #245
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
How much media did it take for the trim caps? What is the clean up effort afterwords? Can this be used in the trailer or only outside?

Thanks.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #246
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
How much media did it take for the trim caps? What is the clean up effort afterwords? Can this be used in the trailer or only outside?

Thanks.
As Soldiermedic's assistant allow me to reply ... He used about half of a 50lb. bag ($37). This is for both the front and back beauty strips. S. started blasting on the interior endcap that he wanted to polish and it left a cloudy finish ... not good! WE stopped in case we were doing permanent damage. OK if zolotone was the end product. Soda blaster websites say it dose not etch the metal ... we will see!
BOB
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #247
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I also test blasted other items. We blasted a rusty outrigger that was removed, and I started removing paint off an old interior panel before moving onto the trim caps.

The trim caps took lots of media since they had thick layers of bondo.

Being a green product. I hosed off the driveway and the recent rains have taken care of the rest of the dust. Brooming could do the same job.

I plan to use this inside the trailer on a few areas that have spots that need cleaning. Just vacuum it up when done.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #248
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I also test blasted other items. We blasted a rusty outrigger that was removed, and I started removing paint off an old interior panel before moving onto the trim caps.

The trim caps took lots of media since they had thick layers of bondo.

Being a green product. I hosed off the driveway and the recent rains have taken care of the rest of the dust. Brooming could do the same job.

I plan to use this inside the trailer on a few areas that have spots that need cleaning. Just vacuum it up when done.
Soda blasting is cool, Soda blasting is good hope to buy a commercial unit to do my trailer and many others ...
Keep posted!
Bob
Old 11-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Nice concept, so here's a question, how much media would you guestimate you go through per square foot? How is the mess?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #250
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The mess sweeps, blows with a leaf blower, or flows away with a hose.

It is impossible to guesstimate since it all depends on what you are taking off. A single layer of paint will come off alot quicker than multiple layers. For my panels, I only want to take enough off that I can get the stripper to work well, or the acid etching primer for the new zolatone to bond to.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #251
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Air needs

How big of air compressor do you have? Will this work with a small take compressor or is a large air flow needed?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #252
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I have a 33 gallon 6.5 HP upright compresson by craftsman. Blasting does take a great deal of air, and a small tank will not keep up with requirements to do the blasting.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #253
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
I have a 33 gallon 6.5 HP upright compresson by craftsman. Blasting does take a great deal of air, and a small tank will not keep up with requirements to do the blasting.
What Steve didn't say is that his air compressor was working hard just to keep up with the little 10 lb. soda blaster ... you need a high CFM (cubic feet per minuet) to do blasting.
Bob
Trusty assistant
Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #254
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Bob
Trusty assistant
Have the words "Bob, get me another beer been uttered yet?"
Old 11-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #255
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Not really...I don't drink.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #256
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
That is a nice addition to your tool collection Steve. The soda blaster is nice, I remember when I was working at a Ford dealer in the 80s and the silver and grey colored trucks had a problem with the paint coming loose. Ford would pay to have them soda blasted and repaint, the reason they used the soda was because they didn't have to remove chrome, door handles and other things, saved a lot of time.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #257
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
Have the words "Bob, get me another beer been uttered yet?"
Actually its more like "Bob, hand me x ... or "Where is my y, or "What do you think about Z?" I alternate from "Project foreman" to "Trusty assistant" several times in an hour. This is fine as I am thrilled to be able to learn/help all at the same time.
Bob
Crusty Assistant
Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #258
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Actually its more like "Bob, hand me x ... or "Where is my y, or "What do you think about Z?" I alternate from "Project foreman" to "Trusty assistant" several times in an hour. This is fine as I am thrilled to be able to learn/help all at the same time.
Bob
Crusty Assistant
Yeah...I bounce alot of ideas and questions off my crusty assistant. He's happy we are screwing up certain things on mine so we don't mess it up on his!!!!

Steve
Old 11-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #259
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
yeah...i bounce alot of ideas and questions off my crusty assistant. He's happy we are screwing up certain things on mine so we don't mess it up on his!!!!

Steve
amen!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #260
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hello All,

It's been awhile since anything new has been done on the flying cloud, but that is about to change. Tomorrow I will be pulling new 110v wiring, and installing a 12v system that will replace all the 110v lighting. I will be installing a 4045 progressive dynamics converter after the walls are back in, and huge thanks to Melody Ranch who walked me through all of the diagrams and his installation.

Originally the trailer had a fluorescent light at the front of the end cap, a light between the front and center vent, two wall sconces in the rear of the trailer, and a bathroom light. The ceiling light and front fluorescent light were removed prior to my purchase, and the old sconces were brittle and removed.

I plan to use a light similar to this one found at West marine.

Vintage Trailer Supply used to sell lights like this, but they lost their supplier. I have found several sources for these lights at marine outlets. I am at a bit of a loss on what to do for the fluorescent light that was originally in the front end cap, and the two wall mounted laps. Vintage Trailer Supply no longer sells the wall sconces they once sold either, and while I have found a replacement...I don't like the look.

I really like the look of the Pan America's lighting sconces. Basically a bulb with decorative aluminum mesh for the diffuser. The mesh is easy to get at Home Depot or my local metal supply, but fabricating the light base with no brake would be difficult.

With the original shower stall being cramped, I had planned to go with only a toilet in the trailer. We almost always use the shower houses when we camp anyhow. I was searching for a black tank on ebay, and came across this item from Pelland Enterprises. The item was return unused by a customer. Tank and shower pan combo that already has the closet flange installed, and has the drain in the tank bottom. For $80, I couldn't pass it up (It retails on their site for $384). I guess I will need it to get here before figuring out how to vent the black tank, and how to install the gate valve.

If anyone has suggestions on the lighting, I would like to hear about it. I have looked all over for nice looking sconces or wall lamps, but have not found anything I like.

Steve

Tags
1953, cloud, flying, restoration, vintage, flying cloud