Old 02-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I am back in Texas w/ our new FC. I was gonne a week.....2 days out, 2 days working on the trailer and two days back. Here are some pics from the trip.Now we just have to figure out where to start. The trailer was stashed away on a campground way up in Marin County outside of San Fran, beautiful area. I met the owners, they took me back to the trailer and there I sat wondering what I had gotten myself into. The latch on the tow hitch was rusted solid, the wiring harness for the trailer lights had been cut and the tires, even though holding air were dry rotted from age and on those obsolete split rims...........but she was mine. With only about two hours of daylight left I had to work fast so I could try to get her down the mountain and somewhere safe and start in on her the next day. I finally convinced the latch on the trailer hitch to cooperate w/ a little help from "the persuader"(my hammer and a bunch of wd-40) and wasn't sure if I would ever get her off the back of my truck, but who cared, I was there to haul it out and back to Texas. Running out of daylight, I decided just to quick inspect on the bearings and found grease in both side when I pulled the dust caps.........good enough for now.......didn't have time to pull the hubs. Put some more air in the old cracked tires and headed SLOWLY toward Mill Valley. Got there right before dusk and parked her for the night. Got up early the next morn which happened to be President's day so evrybody was not open, but I did call Ideal RV in Redwood City, CA and Victor was super helpful. I hopped in the truck and was off to S. San Fran across the Golden Gate w/ my fingers crossed that all would stay together on the trailer on this 1 hr drive through San Fran. Well I made it and got a bunch of stuff I needed at ideal to get started to make her roadworthy. Was able to pull the trailer over to my buddy Paul's place and start on the tear down and inspection. Drums and bearings out, everything looked to be in good shape, just needed to replace all the bearings, tires and wheels. "Trailer Hitch" in Redwood City not only helped me out w/ the bearings and some trailer wiring, but I scored there..........Someone had just recently updated their old AS w/ new brake system and there laid the old parts, a pair of backing plates w/ all the goodies and a pair of drums w/ the highly sought after "screw-on" dust caps.
One man's trash is another man's treasure. After a few attempts to find the right wheels( that looked good too) wound up at General Tire and they hooked me up w/ some sweet chrome wheels and radials and w/ the newly acquired screw on dust covers, I was in business. I also cut off the extension a pevious owner had welded on the back on the frame to carry his generator and battery..........way too much weight hanging off the back and a little unsightly. Looking good. So what started out to be an uncertainty was now starting to take shape and the FC was getting better looking w/ every mile. I left San Fran on Tues afternoon and drove down to Riverside to stay w/ some friends, trailer pulled great no problems. Left Calif on Wed after lunch and made it to Lordsburg, where I spent my first night in the trailer.......had to do it......even though it was prolly in the mid 40's or colder out there. Don't have the heater working yet. Pulled into Austin last night and my wife couldn't have been happier w/ what I brought home. Long trip, but well worth it. Plugged her last night at the house for the first time and everything came alive. Appears we just have a cosmetic job on our hands..........that means we will be on the road soon. Here are some pics from the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80f3_3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	32930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home bound 003 (2).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	604.4 KB
ID:	32931  

Name:	Home bound 004 (2).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	32932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home bound 008 (2).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	845.7 KB
ID:	32933  

Name:	Home bound 009 (2).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	760.0 KB
ID:	32934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home bound 013 (2).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	643.2 KB
ID:	32935  

El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
more pics from the trip. I need to try and get my hands on an owners manual for the '54 Flying Cloud so I can figure out what's what and start getting everything else dialed in. Anyone know where I can find one. A buddy of mine told me that you can get them directly from AS. Any truth to that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	home bound 020 (2).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	32936   Click image for larger version

Name:	home bound 022 (2).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	32937  

Name:	Home bound 024 (2).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	32938  

Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #17
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Jefe-

Way too awsome! I just new you would find an excuse to get some Hot Rod wheels on that thing! What a great trailer. Thank you for sharing your trip with us all. Keep the pictures coming!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
There's absolutely nothing like a great adventure when tied to a new car or trailer acquisition. Heck, to anything new to us. Great trip from the sounds of it although also a working one. The trailer looks great in the pictures and love the wheels. Great find on the brakes and dust caps. See, the good luck just continues to flow your way with that acquisition. And it is always a major bonus to drag something home and the other half agrees you did good.

Barry
Old 02-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
way to go and congrats! that's a big first trip.

there is no owners manual for the 54 cloud.

not to rain on your parade (and a fun one it is), but i would be weary of a cosmetic job on this one. i'd be willing to bet the subfloor is rotted and the steel frame may be rotted in places too. not to mention what is lurking in your belly pan. you can see my thread under the 56 flying cloud for kicks. i'm in the process and couldn't believe how rotted the subfloor was in the bathroom and the mice pooh in the belly pan was plentiful and not fun to deal with.

post some more pics on the interior. congrats again!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Wow!!

And your wife was even happy! You are living large!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
What a sweet rig! Sounds like the adventure has just begun. Happy campin!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Starting in on the FC yesterday and since all the power/elect seemed fine, time to look at the plumbing. Hooked up the water hose to the inlet underneath the trailer and low and behold, all the water lines filled and water started coming out of the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Did find two splits in the copper line one underneath the trailer and one on the water supply line to the toilet underneath the bathroom sink. Off to the hardware store today for copper tubing and new fittings and turned out to be a pretty easy fix. Tried it again and the water pressure was 10X better of course, but I noticed once the water heater filled up it started leaking......the tank was toast. So I pulled it out in anticipation of replacing it w/ new one. The one I pulled out was a Bowen 6.2 gal water heater model #G6A2. Looked original. Ok, help me, where do I get the replacement. Hopefully after this fix, H2o will be where it needs to be, not on the floor.
On a different note, we opened up and pulled the awning that was mounted on the trailer.........excellent shape, all mechanism worked like they wre supposed to, and canvas was perfect. I love this trailer more and more every day. Here are some pics of the interior as requested and one of the awning(sorry it was kinda dark outside already).
So David (Urban Food), should I automatically just remove everything from the trailer so I can examine the floor and pull the floor so I can examine the frame. Also the bellytanks are cleaned from the top attached to the frame or removed from the bottom and then examined? Sorry for all the questions, but this all new to me.
Also one other question on the plumbing. I know I have a black water tank and there is a slide valve for that. There is another slide valve underneath forward of the blackwater valve........does that second valve allow the grey water to go into balck water tank, since there is not a grey water tank? I noticed when I had the water on in the trailer in the kitchen and bathroom, the bathroom floor was filling up w/ water coming up through the floordrain. As soon as I pull that forward valve, all the accumulated water on the bathroom floor drained. Should that forward valve if it is the grey water drain be open all the time? Is it there to keep back flow from happening when you are driving? There is also a petcock(valve) on the inlet line you connect the garden hose to........what is that for? I am assuming the fresh water tank fills in the front on the trailer. How big is that tank usually and can that water only flow thru the pump faucet on the kitchen sink? Sorry again about all the questions, I just don't want to drinking the wrong water. I am sure I will hav a million more so thanks in advance. Here's some pics.......sorry about the long post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	awning0001 (2).JPG
Views:	77
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	33010   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning0002 (2).JPG
Size:	595.3 KB
ID:	33011  

Name:	interior0001 (2).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	33012   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior0002 (2).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	33013  

Old 02-24-2007, 11:05 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Some more interior shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	interior0003 (2).jpg
Size:	520.7 KB
ID:	33014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior0004 (2).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	33015  

Name:	Interior0005 (2).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	642.4 KB
ID:	33016  
Old 02-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you're driving I-40 east and want a place to crash with your cloud I'm 15 miles south of the 2nd Moriarty exit, east of Albuquerque 505 384-8082. My next door neighbor is an auto parts store and Tommy the owner is a vintage afficianado. If you can't get me on the phone just park her in the driveway of the brick house next to the Auto Parts in Estancia .
Old 02-25-2007, 01:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
el,

nice pictures. love hearing about your experience so far. there was no gray tank initially installed in the cloud. possibly a PO (previous owner) could have put one in, but judging by the pix, it never underwent a major renovation. also you don't have any low voltage (12V) as everything is 110. if you ever plan on boondocking, you'll need 12V and a battery or two.

keep us posted on the progress and don't ever worry about posting too many questions. there's a ton of knowledgeable members here (i wouldn't consider myself one of them by the way )

Old 02-25-2007, 02:12 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
So when I got the trailer as you can see from the pics, a PO had put an extension platform on the back of the trailer w/ a generator and battery mounted back there, I assume for boondocking and he had wired all that stuff to some switches he mounted in the night stand between the twin beds w/ wiring going all the way hrough the trailer and out the front to a wiring harness that was hanging off the trailer tongue. I am not sure what any of the wiring was for. I cut off the extension and left old outdated heavy generator and old battery behind. Didn't want all that weight hanging off the back of the trailer esp w/ my long drive home. I was going to get a modern lightweight powerful quiet generator to take along on trips that I could just carry. Would I still need to get battery power for anything, if I had the generator. If you are boondocking what do you do for water? Just the water that pumps out of the tank into the sink, correct. What is the cylinderical tank that is on the floor in front of what I assume is the fresh water tank that I guess is under the bench across the front of the trailer where you sit to eat? Looks like it is connect to the pump faucet on the sink? Just more random questions. I read where Bowen water heater are no longer available and the replacement model is made by Atwood. Hopefully the Atwood fits in the same size hole the bowen came out of w/o alot of modification. I guess I'll find out. If the water tank is leaking, I am assuming it is bad and has to be replaced.....can't be repaired.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
el,

lots of great questions. i'd recommend doing a search for each topic you think of and you'll get a ton of info.

also, you should learn everything electrical and water related in regards to your new trailer. check out these links;
Water, Water, Everywhere!

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

i'd also recommend slowing down a little bit and thinking a few years into the future, how you would ultimately like to use the flying cloud. sure you can haul the generator everytime you go boondocking, but do you really want to? not to mention the space it takes up in the tow vehicle. part of the beauty of boondocking is the peace and quiet.

think and plan ahead. you don't want to spend time and money on something only to tear it out and replace it later on because it's not what you wanted.

you have a great trailer and it's going to take some time and money to make it safe, usable, and enjoyable.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We've seen a fellow with an SOB who replaced his two 20lb propane tanks with one 30 but I'm sure you could go to a 40. On the other side where the second tank normally went he located his generator, then the cover he had built for the two hid the generator nicely and you would be hard pressed to know he didn't have two 30lb bottles. It was a nice creative setup and eliminated having to haul the generator seperately. One of our SOB's was 120V only and we just picked up the battery operated rechargeable AC/DC lanterns that run about 15 bucks each. Using a few of those at night kept our need for 120V down significantly and we ran the fridge on propane which usually works better than electricity (in our case) at least.

There are lots of creative ways to do this without major effort. As for your grey waste needs you do have the option of picking up a blue portable waste tank and you could add an optional drain/gate to your grey waste plumbing to allow you to divert your grey waste directly to the portable unit rather than filling your black water too quickly. Just some thoughts and things that we've done or are seeing done by others that works well, makes their units very adaptable, and not a lot of money or effort involved.

Your trailer looks gorgeous. I've been copying your pics to my buddy with the '54 Ford wagon TV and he is hugely envious.

Barry

Tags
1954, flying cloud