Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1950-1955 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Weekend 3, Nope 4

The destruction is done! (except the pulling of the belly pan, can't do that yet its snowing and 21 degrees out!) I have removed all of the inner skin and have removed all of the rotted floor. That turned out better than I thought, all the rot was confined to the curbside. Next weekend I replace what I removed from the floor, Git Rot the weak spots and move on to stripping the interior skin panels. Oh ya, I only found one spot of frame rot that I can fix with some iron I have, now I get to weld! Nothing more manly than welding!

This is going much better than I thought it would!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Not Happy, Not Happy at all...............

Well this weekend went poorly, very poorly. I found more frame rot, looked over the floor I removed and figured that I just can't piece in new floor. I'm now looking at an off the frame (something I have never done before) restoration. I have spent the afternoon watching the Packers loose and looking over the older posts on off the frame floor replacements. Again NOT HAPPY!

I'm going to attempt to remove the shell from the floor over the next couple of weeks, this means removing the belly pan and with the outside temps at 15 or less this will not be fun!

I think I have the bracing of the skin down; a trip to the lumber yard will take care of that, now I have to see if the skin will fit through the garage door so it doesn't end up in Michigan with the winds!

Any suggestions warnings, inspiration is appreciated!

I am just bummed.......................
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 01-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Ed,

Take a look at my blog in my sig. I did a shell off after being told it was easier. It did allow much easier access to the frame, and was easier to replace the floor. You could brace exactly the same as I did. I braced across each rib, and there are only 5 in our trailers being 21 feet.

It took me a day and a half working part time to build the bracing, jack the shell up, and shore it up by myself. Once it was elevated and I pulled the frame out from underneath, I just lowered the shell back to the ground a few wood blocks at a time.

Your welder will thank you unless you plan to weld yourself (then you can thank yourself ). Painting the frame will be much easier as well.

Good luck and have fun drilling out a million rivets.

Steve
Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
More than I wanted to do

Thanks Steve,
I bracing is a big help, now to drill rivets and more rivets and more rivets........

Hope it warms up some.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 01-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Ed,

You are dedicated! A true airstreamer!
15* outside and you laugh at danger! Ha...

Ok.. or your crazy...

Im going to go with the dedicated part..

Love the pictures, keep the great attitude and we will standby and watch your progress.

Armchair quarter back signing off..

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Nice looking trailer. Too bad about the floor and frame. I'd really think about doing a floor replacement "on the frame", like Insideout / Shari did on the Safari, unless you have inside storage space. Good luck either way.

Carol

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f91/...irl-31084.html
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Ed ~ One of the advantages of do a shell-on floor replacement in the dead of winter would be you could use an electric heater to at least keep the nose-cicles down to a minimum! Seriously - we were able to work in sub-freezing temps with two little electric heaters and/or a propane heater while replacing our floor. It doesn't make it warm, but it does make it better than the outside temps, if you can't work in a heated garage/workshop...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Its gotta be easier than when we did my friends 31' shell off...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...fun-56566.html

Let me know if you need help...might be fun!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Buy one of these tools. Not doing any advertising, it is just the best thing since the invention of the Airstream. Your rivet removal will be very fast....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
With what are you goign to replace the removed insulation?
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Crying in my Beer

Shari,
I would like to do a shell on, started down that road but when I found 3 rotted frame members and the very rusty frame I figured off is going to work better for me. There is a couple of reasons, I can take the frame to my welder and then to the body shop to be sand blasted and painted in the cold weather, also when I have the welder fix/replace the frame I can have the supports welded in place to hold the tanks. Also the belly pan needs replaced it is shot. Now the key to this is to see if the shell will fit through my garage door, if not I plan on setting it in the drive where the trailer now sits and I will use sandbags to hold it down in the wind.(I think that will work) The part that has me freaked is when I removed the old floor along the curb side we got a 14 inch snow and that weight shifted the skin on to the frame, so its sitting crooked. I need to jack that side up from the inside so that I can get some 3/4 between the inside supports and the frame, then I can build the supports for the shell when I remove it. Looking at those threads last night also has me a bit freaked, I think I know what to do and how to brace it but I'm still not real comfortable with the whole thing. From what I see I need to go from support to support front to back and side to side before I pull the rest of the bolts and screws from the floor. I guess these supports are held to the inside frame with metal screws through the rails into the 2X4 ect. Oh well there has go to be a first time for everything!

As far as the cold, a good pair of boots and socks, a heavy Carhart jacket, lined jeans and snow pants and I'll be yelling "hey guys wait up" when I fall and lay in the snow like a slug! Heck we ice fish here at 20 below!

Still not looking forward to this..........

Frank,
Thanks for the link to the tool that will get ordered today!

Aircooled4
You have been there and done this, I enjoyed looking over your posts last night, now if you have the urge to visit you would be more than welcome! Also I will use the same materials to insulate as Shari did in Its a Girl.

Airslide,
Crazy, just crazy............
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
Shari,
I would like to do a shell on, started down that road but when I found 3 rotted frame members and the very rusty frame I figured off is going to work better for me.

<snip>

Still not looking forward to this..........
Bummer..

As far as the rivet removal tool - we have one too. Although I felt it was easier and more accurate to drill them out without it. IMO, save your money - or better yet, do you want ours? Let me know ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Oh Ya

Anyone needing any Git Rot I have two large cans I can sell now, no need with a new floor My cost plus shipping.............................
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #34
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Ed,

Here is my favorite description of the remaining airstream that was flooded in Georgia.
The ebay seller quotes "DAMAGED BY WATER IN ATLANTA FLOOD OF LATE 2009---THE INSURANCE COMPANY HAD IT CLEANED =COST OVER SIXTY THOUSAND NEW ===I DON 'T KNOW WHAT WORKS OR DOES NOT WORK UNTIL I GET IT IN NEXT WEEK--MY EXPERIENCE IN REPAIRING FLOOD DAMAGED AIRSTREAMS USUALLY MEANS THAT EVERYTHING WILL WORK AFTER THOROUGH CLEANUP EXCEPT THE INVERTER---I AM TOLD THAT AIRSTREAM USES EXTERIOR TYPE PLYWOOD IN THE FLOORS THAT WILL NOT ABSORB WATER-- "

So good news! You wont need Git Rot anymore!
If only your airstream used this very special non absorbing plywood!

Ok ok... at your current burn rate you should have the frame repaired, painted and new flooring in place by Thursday...

we'll stay posted..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Buy one of these tools. Not doing any advertising, it is just the best thing since the invention of the Airstream. Your rivet removal will be very fast....
Best tool ever Frank!! Wally introduced me to it, saved hours and much more precise!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #36
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I slipped drilling a rivet out the other day on a clients trailer. I got very lucky that the huge scratch is going to be covered by a patch. It can happen so quickly. I chuck the rivet remover in an air drill and crank the pressure up to 120 psi. The tool drills the rivet out in about .75 seconds. I really think it paid for itself in the first use. Just my opinion, the tool might not work for every one's needs.
Ed, take Shari up on her offer..
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Any suggestions warnings, inspiration is appreciated!....
Ed, you’re our inspiration. My dinette conversion seems like small potatoes compared to your undertaking.
Front end furniture pulled on New Year’s weekend, front interior skins off and dents popped out last weekend. New insulation and wiring next.
Working between blizzards and Arctic cold spells is annoying but I’m getting more upbeat the more I do.

Thanks for the updates,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Renovation

Tom,

Sounds like you are making great progress, got any photos? I have to rework the front end, the original owner changed the dinette and I have to replace that. Just looking for ideas, and a way to refocus!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Another Day and More Floor Removed

Well I made the run to the lumber yard and framed up the FC this weekend. Now I am slowly removing the floor out of the elements. Today it rained, snowed froze, rained, froze snowed...........

These are the photos of where I am at this point. I hope to have the rest of the floor out by next weekend and move on to drilling out the rivets. As a side note, more frame rot was found and I'm now glad I pulling the shell and reworking the frame.

I have all kinds of things running through my mind including a visit to the scrap yard! I think aluminum prices are up............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03758.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	94707   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03757.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	94708  

59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Well I made the run to the lumber yard and framed up the FC this weekend. Now I am slowly removing the floor out of the elements. Today it rained, snowed froze, rained, froze snowed...........

These are the photos of where I am at this point. I hope to have the rest of the floor out by next weekend and move on to drilling out the rivets. As a side note, more frame rot was found and I'm now glad I pulling the shell and reworking the frame.

I have all kinds of things running through my mind including a visit to the scrap yard! I think aluminum prices are up............
Wow, that looks well braced: souldn't be any movement there. Hope you made templates though.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1954, flying cloud