Old 05-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by riv-nut View Post
Hi Barry, here's the picture of my belly-pan layout....comments welcome :-)

what a crappy forum for posting pictures..... can't get it to upload....

I'll have to try again later....
Okay....now it looks like it let me up-load the picture....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor-plan-dimensions.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	186495  

Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
OK that makes sense, Thanks.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Rained yesterday so I didn't get anything done. Today I got the floors screwed down, epoxied all the seams, and smoothed them flush, then added another coat of sealer. About 1pm the Fed-x guy came with the three new tanks from VTS, wow they look great. I set them where I think they'll go and called it a day. Rain this afternoon...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2654 (Large).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	186769  
Old 06-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
A couple more days of rain and finally a decent day to work on Spoon. Well actually there isn't much I can do now until the axle call comes . In the mean time I debated whether to lay the floor first or wait until I am further along. The decision was to wait...it will be a long haul until the trailer is finished which would give 'murphy' to many opportunities to screw the floor up. With that decided I started to add the 'c' channel. I got it part way done and will finish up tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2670 (Large).JPG
Views:	70
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	187329  
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
A couple more days of rain and finally a decent day to work on Spoon. Well actually there isn't much I can do now until the axle call comes . In the mean time I debated whether to lay the floor first or wait until I am further along. The decision was to wait...it will be a long haul until the trailer is finished which would give 'murphy' to many opportunities to screw the floor up. With that decided I started to add the 'c' channel. I got it part way done and will finish up tomorrow.
Looking great Barry!! I put down the flooring prior to the final channel installation, just so I didn't have to fit the flooring inside the channel. This way I could just trim off the excess that hung over the outside of the floor boards (I think this is how they did it at the factory....at least on mine). BUT your method will has the benefit of not screwing up the flooring prior to (or in the process of) putting the shell back down (and all the other steps in between)!! BTW, those tanks look great! Hopefully the axle get in soon....did you box the frame already?

The weather is finally starting to straighten out here too!!

Keep it up!!

Lee
Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
After talking to Colin and upon his recommendation, I didn't box the frame. With the 1" x 1/8" square tubing was added the extra redundancy wasn't needed. C-channel will be finished today, along with the front end body support. Looks like great weather for the next several days Hoping "C'mon axle".
Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
As an after thought, because we will be using some type of WD hitch, I decided to 'box" the front A frame. So that was done this morning with out incident Still no axle yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
On Monday I made the 3 hour trip to Axis axle in Elkhart, Ind. to pick up my axle ordered through Colin Hyde. They looked great and Colin has been very helpful. It rained all the way their and back.

Tuesday was also spent dodging showers and I was able to come up with a plan, and the bracketry to make flipping the trailer possible.

Today again rain showers off and on, in between, I was able to mock the supports plates to hang the axle, weld them in place and finally get the wheels back under the trailer. By the time I got done and picked up the tools in started to rain in earnest and has been for several hours now so no pictures.

Tomorrow the goal is to try and pull the 66 Safari out of the barn, pull Spoon in , hook her up and do the flip. Hopefully pics will follow. It will be so nice to finally be adding insulation and the tanks plus working out the belly pan, eventually.
Wohoo!!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
On Monday I made the 3 hour trip to Axis axle in Elkhart, Ind. to pick up my axle ordered through Colin Hyde. They looked great and Colin has been very helpful. It rained all the way their and back.

Tuesday was also spent dodging showers and I was able to come up with a plan, and the bracketry to make flipping the trailer possible.

Today again rain showers off and on, in between, I was able to mock the supports plates to hang the axle, weld them in place and finally get the wheels back under the trailer. By the time I got done and picked up the tools in started to rain in earnest and has been for several hours now so no pictures.

Tomorrow the goal is to try and pull the 66 Safari out of the barn, pull Spoon in , hook her up and do the flip. Hopefully pics will follow. It will be so nice to finally be adding insulation and the tanks plus working out the belly pan, eventually.
Wohoo!!
Holy Cow Barry...you been all kinds of busy!!! Great to hear you got the axle in your hands...

FRICKEN RAIN....we're getting it too. Really putting a damper on the progress!! Hopefully you got somewhere you can put the safari out of the rain! Can't wait to see the tanks and insulation on the bottom of that thing!

Keep it up!

Lee
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
It's been a bit since I've added anything so a quick update. First off, man has it rained here almost every day some.

So then , we got Spoon into the barn and did a flip, no problem, double chain falls between beams . Pulled her back up where I'm working on her and began mocking up tanks, and drilled holes in floor ( remember she's upside down). There are two holes for the two gray water tanks, two holes for vents that will air out those tanks, and a hole for the fresh water fill tube. Once those were done, they came out and two layers of Reflectix for them to sit on.

Next I decided to make an under frame spare tire carrier, some bending and a few bolts and that was done. Today I finished insulating the rest of the floor ...two layers of 1/2" foam board all around .

After that it was on to mocking then gluing up the drain for the two tanks which are coupled together.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get them braced in place along with a layer or two of Reflectix. That and I need to start looking for some belly pan material.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2746 (Large).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	188563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2751 (Large).JPG
Views:	72
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	188564  

Name:	IMG_2748 (Large).JPG
Views:	77
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	188565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2747 (Large).JPG
Views:	76
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	188566  

Old 06-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Top notch work Barry!! The tanks and plumbing look great!! The tire holder will be very handy for sure!! Rolling these bad boys over sure make the belly work easier....could you imagine doing all that on your back!!!

Keep up the great progress!!
Lee
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
It's been a while so a quick update... in the last nine days we have had at least some rain all but one... 4 1/2" total, 6 for the month. Now today is July 1st and they are calling for chance of rain four out of five days. Between that , our grandson home on leave, and tending to an elder friend it's been a trying couple of weeks.

So... well, we are again ready for lift off or is it lift on? The belly pan is on , though the edges are only clecoed , flipped over and in place for reconnecting. Hopefully that will happen in the next few days.

Oh did I mention lightening hit our power pole Sat. and we were out of power for the rest of the day/night and after the DTE crew came yesterday, they said we were lucky and only the fuse at the transformer was fried. Only damage in the house was two blown halogen lights in the bathroom.
Friday got a letter from Aircraft Spruce saying they will be at Oshkosh for the air show and can bring orders there. While I'm not a pilot, the owner of the old 51 Willys I sold, is, and he will be at the show. Long story short he will bring the 2024 sheets for the out side shell with him when he comes to pick up the Willys!!!

Anyway here are a couple pics of where we are at........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2756 (Large).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	189863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2757 (Large).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	189864  

Name:	IMG_2758 (Large).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	189865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2760 (Large).JPG
Views:	58
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	189866  

Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
We are almost back on... abouit 2" to go!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2765 (Large).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	190099  
Old 07-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Happy 4th of July!!!
Spoon is back together again... The wife and I worked on her this afternoon.. got her squared away with a goodly amount of screws to hold her together. We will be ordering the new 2024 skins this week so there was no good reason to rivet her only to take her back apart when the metal comes. Same goes for the streetside window . I installed it today but only screwed it in with a couple temporary screws. Turning a new page is good!!
So now it's off to the fireworks and to watch the Tigers play Toronto.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2772 (Large).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	190176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2769 (Large).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	190177  

Name:	IMG_2774 (Large).JPG