Old 09-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Shouldn't your plywood be turned the other way? The seams should be on the cross members of the frame not running down the center. I'm not telling you what to do, just observing.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I bought 4x10' -3/4" marine grade plywood. I welded some additional tabs in a strategic area to accommodate the only seam that goes across the frame. My theory: fewer seams= stronger floor.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Looking good JT!! I'd say it's all coming together really well. I wondered if there was a way to reduce the seams. A centerline seam should work great since it sounds like you welded in a support down the middle. I think your plumb-bob trick should work just fine - especially if you have some remenants of the old radius as a partial guide as it looks like you do from your picture. I didn't really have anything left of the floor around the ends. It did seem like maybe it wasn't a true radius, but maybe a parabolic shape as you mentioned....we'll see what happens :-)

I found out I can order 2x3 by 0.083" wall thickness rectangular tube. So I'm going to order a 20' stick of that on Monday. This is what I'll re-fab a few of the outriggers from. They had 1/8" wall in stock, but that just seems too heavy since the original wall thickness for my outriggers is 0.080 Boy, I'd sure like to get this floor in before the weather turns on us up here.

Lee
Old 09-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Okay....got my wheel wells back from the HVAC place called Design Air in Kent Wa. I must say I'm so glad I had these rebuilt (thanks for the suggestions Tim - rumrunner). The guys there did an amazing job!!! I would've dorked around with these for hours to try and fix the damage and rust and in the end they would've still been shoddy at best. So, for $189 plus tax they completely and perfectly refabricated my wheel wells from a little thicker galvanized steel. Every dimension is right on - even the increased width at the top of the wells (14.5") vs the bottom at the floor (14.0"). Even the seam where the inner vertical wall attaches to the cylindrical portion was exactly reproduced. Needless to say, I'd highly recommend this place. Here's some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8275.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	888.4 KB
ID:	168075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8276.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	168076  

Name:	IMG_8282.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	168077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8278.JPG
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	168078  

Name:	IMG_8279.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	915.0 KB
ID:	168079  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
I also busted out the skill saw and cut my 4x8 sheets of ACX down to the right width of 58 inches. I also ordered a 20' stick of 2x3x0.083" rectangular tubing to re-make a few of the out-riggers off the frame. That should arrive in a few days. I also took a shot of the axle....is this many leaves in the spring standard for a trailer of this size?? Looks to me like they designed it as a cement truck or something :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8270.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	650.1 KB
ID:	168080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8274.JPG
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	168081  

Name:	IMG_8271.JPG
Size:	887.2 KB
ID:	168082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8272.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	168083  

Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Lee,
The tubs look perfect! Just be carefully when you start cutting the floor around the wheel wells. ( check thread "slow floor replacement" ) I made a stupid error yesterday that I'm still kicking myself for. 58" seems a bit narrow to me. Mine was 86" wide. I'm sure it was just a typo or maybe I'll get to cut mine again ;-)
Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54breadloaf View Post
Lee,
The tubs look perfect! Just be carefully when you start cutting the floor around the wheel wells. ( check thread "slow floor replacement" ) I made a stupid error yesterday that I'm still kicking myself for. 58" seems a bit narrow to me. Mine was 86" wide. I'm sure it was just a typo or maybe I'll get to cut mine again ;-)
Yeah....whups....85 inches!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Those wheel tubs look great! Glad the idea worked out for you. Boy they really played with the dimensions on these things, My 55 has a floor width of 90 inches. Go figure.
tim
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
Those wheel tubs look great! Glad the idea worked out for you. Boy they really played with the dimensions on these things, My 55 has a floor width of 90 inches. Go figure.
tim
Wow.....
52 = 85" width,
54 = 86" width,
55 = 90" width....

I never would've thought they'd change that much???
Interesting non-the-less.

Made some progress today.... sliced off 6 of the outriggers and got 4 cut, trimmed and welded back on. The rectangular tube seems a bit sturdier. I fly-cut a 2" hole in the web for access to the back side of the bolt for holding the floor down. I need to fab 4 more and weld them on, then one cross-member and I'll be ready to wire-wheel and paint the frame!!

I also had to straighten the frame a bit as described above when the PO lost a wheel.... used a large I-beam and some blocks, a chain, and a jack (and a big hammer) to get it all lined up again. Didn't take any heat....which surprised me, but glad it didn't. I should've gotten pictures of that, but the neighbor was helping and didn't want to waist his time.

Anyway, here's some pics!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8284.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	168316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8285.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	168317  

Name:	IMG_8287.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	168318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8288.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	168319  

Name:	IMG_8289.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	168320  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
looking good Riv-nut. those new outriggers aren't going anywhere!
To answer your earlier spring question, Yes the tall stack of leaves seems to be pretty normal. These older TT's use a longer spring than modern trailers do and a stack of longer softer springs seems to give a better ride than shorter stiffer ones. If you stick with the original suspension as many of us are they are easily rebuilt by any local spring shop and they can test and adjust for your finished weight as part of the process.
You might also consider at least partially boxing in the frame if it has already been bent. Mine has unwelded 2x4 tube stringersrather than the C beams that yours has but when bouncing the bare frame around just to see how it stresses I found that the flex seemed to be concentrated just aft of the spring mounts. Since this is probably where your blow out damage is also you could kill 2 birds with one stone. Some here have fully boxed their frames but I dont know if this is necessary. The frame forward of the axles seem to be solid enough and the rear 4' or so doesnt seem to flex much either. Everything just moves around the axles and spring mounts. Also think about adding shell hold down plates front and rear. The later units have them to reduce shell separation at the ends and they seem to really help.
tim
Old 09-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Nice work. I wish I had those skills and tools when I did mine.

I had my spings re-made. Drilled them out with nylons bushings for a quiet smooth ride.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Thanks Tim, ddstech,

I finished re-fabbing and replacing the 8 outriggers that I needed to. I also have a cross-member ready to weld in. I need to do one more cross-member, then wire-wheel and paint!.

IMHO, boxig the frame at a few places might be a good idea. The places with the highest bending stresses would be from a foot or so in front of the fwd leaf string spring attachment to a foot aft of the rear leaf spring attachment. The other high stress area would be where the frame passes under the fwd wall just aft of the hitch. Boxing the frame 6 to 12 inches fwd and 6 to 12 inches aft of the fwd wall would make a lot of sense. Tim, this is where you mentioned a plate or shear web is a good idea and I agree. I'm not sure if mine is stock, but the skin in the fwd wall of mine has been doubled and riveted. The load concetration here is caused by un-even road surfaces or bumps that when the tow vehicle crosses prior to the trailer, a vertical load is transmitted through the hitch. This causes the trailer to pitch (front lift or drop relative to the back). The mass of the trailer resists this rotation which causes high vertical loads at the fwd wall which causes bending in the frame. So boxing the frame there makes a lot of sense. I see no need to worry about "plating" the back wall since only very small loads are reacted there.

I'm not sure if I'm going to box the frame in these locations since I'm pretty cautious when I tow stuff, and the roads are really good between our house and our beach property. If I didn't, I'd probably wish I had....you know how that goes. Anyway, I'll certainly be looking at either new or rebuilt leaf springs as well as new shocks when I put in the new axle. Just trying to get the floor in and the shell back down prior to the weather turning sour.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow! Just found your thread... nice work! RE the steel.. if you need local stuff, I've found "onlinemetals.com" in Ballard a nice easy place to work with. You order online and pick up there... they even cut to size!

You mention "hot rod" roots... got any nice shots to share? I'm currently working on a '55 Dodge C3 truck with my daughter to use as a companion to my '63... whenever THAT one gets completed! Jealous of your working space (and shop!!). Here in Seattle, there's precious little room for me to work. The trailer's a good 1 hr away in storage...
Keep it up!
Marc
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
renton , seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Wow! Just found your thread... nice work! RE the steel.. if you need local stuff, I've found "onlinemetals.com" in Ballard a nice easy place to work with. You order online and pick up there... they even cut to size!

You mention "hot rod" roots... got any nice shots to share? I'm currently working on a '55 Dodge C3 truck with my daughter to use as a companion to my '63... whenever THAT one gets completed! Jealous of your working space (and shop!!). Here in Seattle, there's precious little room for me to work. The trailer's a good 1 hr away in storage...
Keep it up!
Marc
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at the onlinemetals site and may end up ordering some aluminum sheet sheared to size for the channels around the edge of the floor. Not the cheapest place, but since they're local, saving on the shipping puts them in the ball-park. I purchase most of my metal materials at Pacific Inudustrial Supply in South Park. Generally a good selection and good prices.

Anyway, my bucket list has an entry of pulling my 52 airstream with my 49 hudson. Both of which are major projects, so it might take a while to get that one checked off the list :-)

Here's a post on classiccars.com http://www.classiccar.com/forum/disc...49-brougham/p1 that's a little old now, but shows some of the work I've been doing on my Hudson. I love those old Dodge trucks!!! Got any pictures of that??

Thanks,
Lee

Tags
flying cloud