Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1950-1955 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
1953 Flying Cloud Project - Cabinetry Finally

It's time to pickup again on the story of our 53 FC. It started in a farm field in Indiana, went to one vendor where it was worked on. Had to take it to another vendor to literally rebuild it. And now I have all the fun stuff left to do - building out all the cabinetry.

I'm not interested in telling the sad story about what went wrong with the first vendor. I like to forward to the positive and what is ahead. The second vendor, GSM and Colin Hyde took over this project and basically turned a very unsafe trailer into a very solid rebuild that should last another 50 years.

I'm a hobby woodworker so we took the project over from Colin after his team did everything to the shell, including the flooring, installing all the appliances, doing most of the kitchen area and the bathroom.

I have left to build a couple of beds, the wardrobe, a kitchen pantry, and the front dinette.

We tow this 53 FC with a Honda Ridgeline which has a tow rating of only 5000 lbs. So every part of the design and build of the FC has been done with light weight considerations in mind.

When we picked up the unit from GSM it weighed 2780 lbs dry which includes a lot - A/C, H/W heater, furnace, kitchenette, shower, 2 big batteries, 3 tanks set up (20g fresh, 29g grey, 8g black), spare tire, and electric jack.

Now my challenge in adding the cabinetry is to keep that weight in line.

Here's a picture of us taking over the project as we leave GSM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	76720  
air19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thumbs up

WOW...Looks awesome! More pics PLEASE!!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Bins, Bins, Bins

The key to our light weight cabinetry design is based around using lots of very light weight bins that we found at a container type store.

Here is a picture of one of the bins with it's birch plywood front on. I have literally attached the birch directly to the bins to serve as the drawer front, instead of having a seperate swinging door with the bin behind. Much easier to get at those cloths in one pull of the drawer front, than first swinging a wide door and then reaching for the drawer.

I've lost count but there will be over 20 bins like this when we are all done.

Here is another detailed shot of how I used some wood splints to attach the bin to the plywood front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3706.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	76721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3707.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	76722  

Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Starting with the light weight cabinet frame

My designs all start with a light weight cabinet frame made of 1x2 softwood, with lots of glue and good screws.

The frames then have runners attached to them on the sides for the bins to fit on. There is a top and bottom runner for each side of a bin. The challenge is to get the bins to fit correctly and to slide just right. The frames have to be built to tight tolerances regarding dimensions.

And since some of these cabinets fit on top of wheel wells or around other obstacles like water heaters that adds to the challenge. And since the bins only come in a certain set of sizes, all this needs to be factored into the design.

So I'm spending about 3 times as much time at night making measurements and drawings before I get into the woodshop.

Here is my latest frame that forms the bottom half of the cloths wardrobe that fits over the curbside wheelwell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3715.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	76723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3716.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	76724  

Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Frame built, now bins tested

Once I get a frame built and installed, then I put all the bins back in and test how they run on the wood slides. These wood slides are the only part of the frame that are not glued in. I need to take them in and out a few times to adjust them to really get the bins to work smoothly.

Here's the bottom of that wardrobe cabinet again with some bins in it for testing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3709.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	76725  
Old 03-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Nice work and interesting concept...keep the pictures coming!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
The streetside twin bed

Our FC will have two twin beds wrapped from the streetside to around the back of the trailer. This gives us a very open feeling FC where you can see from the front all the way to the back on the street side with no vertical cabinets. On the curbside we have the bath.

The streetside twin bed has a couple of obstructions to work around - a wheel well and the hot water heater. Luckily these bins come in all kinds of sizes and it was a matter of playing with them long enough to figure out the puzzle of optimal storage.

Then I built the light weight frame, tested the bins, installed plywood fronts on the bins, and added cherry trim.

One of the nice things about savings weight on most of the construction is that I can add nice thin pieces of hardwood to the most visible parts like the trim where I'm using cherry.

I like the contrast of using cherry trim and birch plywood for the larger faces. The cherry helps pop out the birch.

Here are a couple of shots of the steetside bed. I still need to put in finger holes for the drawer pulls and I'll follow Carlos' magnet technique to secure the drawers during travel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3704.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	76726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3705.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	76727  

Name:	IMG_3708.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	76728  
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Rear bed and a slightly different bin design

Hi Flyncld - looks like you have another nice FC. Thanks for the comments.

For the rear bed, since there is really only one easy access point in the middle for storage under the bed, I had to do a slightly different design.

I partitioned the rear bed into four areas. In the front center there is the most easily accessable area from the inside where I will store six slightly different plastic bins. In the rear center I've created the trunk area accessable from the rear access. On the left side I have a longer term storage area that I'll get to with a lift up lid. And similarily on the right side I've got a smaller long term storage area in front of the electrical hardware.

The key to the front center area is a silver rolltop access panel that I found at Ikea in their office supply section. I'll be using at least one more of these when I design the storage under the front dinette. The silver looks right at home in the FC and after getting the frame built just right, it slides very easily.

Inside this area behind the rolltop are two levels and I have three bins on each level. Lots of accessible storage for cloths. Here's pictures of the rolltop and the bins first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3701.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	76729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3713.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	76730  

Name:	IMG_3714.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	76731  
Old 03-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Back twin bed

And here are a couple of shots of the other partitions under the back bed.

Again I used the same 1x2 construction for the framework which is very light weight.

For the trunk area I used plenty of clear caulking to make it as airtight as possible from the other spaces.

Now I'll be switching back to about 3 days of design mode to work out the rest of the details of the wardrobe cabinet and then 1 day of build time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3710.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	76732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3711.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	76733  

Name:	IMG_3712.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	76734  
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Dude...this is awesome! Very creative and I will steal some ideas here! You should update your profile to include the year and model of your AS. I would post a gallery as well since you have some great ideas!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Kitchen pantry, Cloths closet, and Surprises

After many design drawings, I got into the shop to create most of the framework for the area on the curbside from the door going back to the bath. It's about 50 inches from door to bath and it will contain a lot of storage.

I have designed six boxes that will be pieced together. Looking at a front view from the aisle, there will be a full height cloths closet on the right consisting of a lower cabinet of bins (box 1), and an upper cabinet for hanging cloths (box 2). To the left of this will be a half height kitchen pantry (box 3).

Looking at the side wall as you enter the door, there will be three special boxes - their will be a narrow box that fits behind the kitchen pantry to store the zip dee chairs (box 4), below that my second garage door will be used for a shoe locker (box 5), and to the right of both will be a shallow box (box 6) to store misc. items like the dog leash, keys, campground paperwork, etc.

Like my previous designs for the beds, this all started by considering the size of the bins I had available and trying to maximize my storage space.
There were a couple of issues to deal with like the wheel well, the counter height, the hanging cloths storage height, and the wall space needed for a flat panel TV.

I have built four of the six boxes. The only ones missing are the upper half of the cloths closet and the narrow box for misc. Here is a front view of the kitchen pantry and the lower cabinet for the cloths. And a side view where you can see the narrow zip dee box and the shoe locker.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3719.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	76936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3720.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	76937  

Old 03-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Kitchen pantry and Cloths closet - LOTS of bins

Did I say I like lots of storage. There are 11 bins that I got to fit in the kitchen pantry and the lower half of the cloths closet. I don't have all the bins purchased yet. I've got some in the pictures to give you an idea.

In the kitchen pantry there are two shallow bins (3 inches in height) on top and then four deeper bins (7 inches in height) below. The top four bins are 20 inches wide and 16 going back. The bottom two bins are 20 inches wide and 9 inches going back.

The lower cloths closet has five bins. The three on top are huge (20 inches wide by 20 inches going back). The bottom two are 20 inches wide by 9 inches going back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3718.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	76938  
Old 03-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Shoe Locker

Thanks to my wife's brainstorm, we decided to use our second silver rolltop or garage door for a small area right by the door to hide shoes or slippers behind.

It's just the right size for a couple pairs of shoes, and even tall enough for some boots. Since it's just for shoes once you open up the garage door you are looking directly at the wheel well, no reason to build out the interior here.

Here are a couple of pictures of the shoe locker.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3721.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	76941   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3722.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	76942  

Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Zip Dee Locker

We always like to have our zip dees around to hang outside with. But where do you store these heavy things which are 22 inches by 23 inches by 2.5 inches each. Not the easiest size to fit anywhere.

Well I actually need to put some more weight on the curbside of my FC to even out all the appliance weight on the street side. The zip dees aren't going to tip the scales, but I definitely wanted them somewhere on the curbside.

I finally got to thinking that if I just shorted the storage area of the kitchen pantry then I could slip these chairs behind it. Then I looked at all the bin sizes I had available and just the next size down from the biggest ones fit the space perfectly.

I had 5.5 inches to get those zip dees into. OK time for 1/4 ply. I had one concern with the zip dees being oriented in the same direction that the FC would travel, would they fly out behind a cabinet door just held in place with magnets?

Came up with the idea of these little blocks that fit very snuggly in front of each zip dee on the bottom. They have a couple of dowels to peg them into the base of the cabinet.

And now we'll have our zip dees right by the door, ready to put outside as one of the first things we do every time we pull into a campground.

Here is a shot of the zip dee locker and a close up of the blocks.

Next up I'll work on the narrow box that goes next to the zip dees to fill out the rest of that wall so everything is on the same plane going across.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3724.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	76943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3725.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	76944  

Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the pictures! The Elfa bins are perfect and I am going to order some next week. I am also sending you several boxes of my wife's stuff, because you are going to have a lot more room than I am!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
You are welcome FLYNCLD.

The Elfa bins have a nice big lip that makes them slide well in a slot. They also sell metal slots for them, but I decided to just make my own out of wood since everything has to eventually be attached to a wood frame.

I'm using 1/2 inch strips of plywood for my slots. One on the bottom of the Elfa lip to obviously ride on, and one on the top to stop it from tipping up as it gets more than half way out.

My wife usually wins the award for the most stuff she wants to bring along camping. Last time before I caught her she had about 8 pairs of footware set aside for a 2 week trip. I don't think I own 8 pairs of shoes/boots.

She will be limited by the bins in the FC. But by providing her with a good amount, then at least I won't have to do as much carrying from the truck into the FC everytime we set up camp.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Actually I am thinking about building a bin for my wife in the trailer. This will give me a lot more room in the truck! Just kidding dear!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
oooohhhhh! Someone's sleeping on the sofa tonight!!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Or the Gaucho as the case may be!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Cherry Trim

I finished trimming out the zip dee locker, the shoe locker, and the rack cabinet that are right by the door. I've shown pictures already of the frame work for the zip dee locker and the shoe locker. I thought about taking a picture of the framing for the rack cabinet, but it makes much more sense when you see it trimmed out like this.

The rack cabinet is meant to hold all the misc. stuff we used to throw on the counter by the door when we came in. There are five shelves with a 2.5 inch front to contain whatever is put in there. It looks like six shelves, but in the middle of the cabinet, one of the cherry trim pieces doesn't have a shelf bottom. It is open to the shelf below it to help contain paperwork. We can put the dog lease, the dog baggies, the flashlite, the campground paperwork, and other small stuff in here. Then of course we will still fill the counter with lots of new stuff.

All the trim is cherry. We live on a forest farm and all the wood is from our land. This cherry was cut about five years ago. I used a Woodmizer bandsaw to cut it into boards and it's been air drying ever since.

The rack cabinet back is birch plywood as well as the door into the zip dee locker. We'll continue this same pattern around all the woodwork in the Flying Cloud - birch ply for the large areas, and cherry for all the trim.

I haven't mounted the zip dee door yet. It's just sitting there in place. I need to start thinking about the hardware I'll use for the hinges and the door pulls and latches for the small amount of doors I'll have.

Anyways here are a couple of pictures. I need to take a break for about a month and finish some other woodworking projects. I'll get back to building and more posts later in April.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3727.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	77119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3729.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	77120  

Tags