4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Looks great and seems very spacious.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Welcome back air19, as I have been eagerly awaiting more posts from you. I share your desire to have a plan that is adequate for eating/working on a table top and also for comfortable lounging to read or watch the TV. I had been thinking about an L lounge, and I will watch your build-out with interest.

Thanks again for sharing your thinking, photos, and techniques. Your thread is terrific.

Hank

Old 02-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Air19, another technique question: in your post #3, I cannot figure out how you attach and align the plywood front to the bin. Apparently there are two connections: (1) high on bin (under or through the bin frame?) and (2) lower across the mesh of the bin. Could you please describe and/or provide another photo or two? Was straight alignment a problem?
Thanks, Hank
Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlairf View Post
Air19, another technique question: in your post #3, I cannot figure out how you attach and align the plywood front to the bin. Apparently there are two connections: (1) high on bin (under or through the bin frame?) and (2) lower across the mesh of the bin. Could you please describe and/or provide another photo or two? Was straight alignment a problem?
Thanks, Hank
Hank-- It looks like he shows a detail shot in post#3 of this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f71/...tml#post675391
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Hi everyone, Thanks for the compliments. They inspire me as I go through these creative blocks or bursts and finally make progress.

Soldiermedic - For our L lounge I'm trying to design it so two people can actually lay out facing the same direction. The first person can simply put their feet up on the lounge. The second person will have a pull out foot rest to support their feet. This feature will get done about two weeks from now - I'm waiting on another Lee Valley order for hardware.

Pbearsailer - If you are interested in Elfa stuff, they go on sale usually in January and February at the container store. No I don't work for either. Just always looking for a deal.

Utee94 - The design/thought process is so important to me. It has taken me about 6 weeks to work through all the issues for this area in front, and I'm sure I've missed some. I doubt it will take me that long to build it. Everything is intertwined. I do OK working on paper when I have two dimensional problems, but for this Airstream everything is a three dimensional issue so I've resorted to full size cardboard mockups many times to understand the interconnections. For your Overlander I'm sure you will be in much better shape for a full dinette. The problem with my Flying Cloud is the kitchen and how far forward it creeped into the dinette space. The only solution was to angle the dinette, but when we did that at full scale it got too small and tight. The L lounge opened things back up again.

Hank - I'll attach a couple of pictures showing how I mounted the drawer front to the bin. Now there are many ways to do this, and frankly if you don't want to mount fronts you could build a rack of say four bins and have it behind one big door. I went with individual drawer fronts for each bin because I like the look and I want to use one action "pull" to access the contents, instead of two actions "open a big door" and "pull the bin out".

For mounting I start with an oversized plywood front and attach two blocks to it. A straight one up high, and a wedge shaped one down low. The wedge block helps me mirror the angle of the front of the bin to try and get the front mounted at a 90 degree angle to the top of the bin. Depending on the size and shape of the bin, this wedge might be slightly higher or lower. It's main purpose is to get that 90 degree angle and I move the wedge around until I get this as close as possible before I move on. By the way all the blocks I'm using are hardwood and I used very good wood screws.

Then I attach the bin by using two additional thin blocks of wood placed inside the bin. This allows me to screw through the wood with the bin mess sandwiched in between. That way I can rely on the pressure of the wood spread out over the mess and not worry about an individual screw tearing away at the mess.

Once I have everything connected I slide the bin into it's slots and start to fit the front of the drawer. Now you aren't going to get as tight a fit as if you used drawer glides. So I'm looking for somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8" tolerance on my spacing. I make a lot of pencil marks on the plywood front where I need to cut. Then you guessed it I have to take everything apart and do my cuts on the table saw. If I'm lucky I get it right the first time. But most of the time I'm putting it on and taking it off a couple of times because I like to nibble away at the plywood to get as tight a fit as possible.

I worked with a group of drawers at a time. Once I had say all four drawers fitted that composed a block, then I went back and marked the center hole for the drawer pull. And yes then I took everything apart again, drilled the hole and put it all back together again.

OK, that's the way I did it. Very slow, but I understand the steps and if I am very patient I can get the drawers to look as good as I want.

Here's the pictures of the bin details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3803.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	95517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3804.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	95518  

Old 02-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Scribing Day

Today I spent the entire time scribing and fitting the plywood tops for our front L lounge.

Four sections again - the two battery sections in the curves have removeable tops. The front and side straight sections have fixed tops. Well sort of fixed - they are screwed down. I'm making sure I can remove the entire front section if I ever need to get to the fresh water tank.

And of course here are a couple of pictures...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3798.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	95519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3801.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	95520  

Name:	IMG_3805.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	95521  
Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
air19, many thanks for the photos and description in post 89. Very useful to me. I look forward to seeing more of your progress. Hank
Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #92
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
L Lounge almost done

Lots of progress with the details over the last two weeks. Hopefully it will come through in the photos.

I'm almost done with the L lounge. I've installed all the cherry trim which provides a nice color contrast with the birch and carries through with the theme I've been using throughout the Flying Cloud. The drawer bins are installed with their birch ply fronts and their rare earth magnets to keep them closed during travel.

I have also started moving around from the L lounge back to the street side for the last cabinet that is an extension of the L lounge. This cabinet has taken up more design time than I could have imagined. Hard fitting the last one in amongst everything else going on.

Here are a couple of long shots of the L lounge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000661.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	97031   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000660.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	97032  

Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Curb side bench of L Lounge

The curb side bench of the L lounge is fitted out with 4 big Elfa bins underneath. I arranged two of them to open up in the step well by the door. I figured this access point would be the best of any to the L lounge storage so I wanted to take advantage of it.

The other two bins will open up under the table. Not the best access, but it works and I have some ideas about the table to make it easier that I'll talk about later.

I have also included a shot of the bins from the side to see again how I'm mounting the ply front to the actual bin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000655.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	97033   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000654.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	97034  

Old 02-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Front bench of the L Lounge

This bench was a bit more challenging than the curb side bench in terms of figuring out how to take advantage of the space underneath. I have my fresh water tank underneath it.

After some head scratching and a few different designs I decided to divide the space into two storage areas. First I had a shallow but deep space that would work above the water tank. Second I had another space in front of the tank.

So of course I found a way to fit my last set of bins in the shallow space above the tank. On the left and right side I have two bins installed. In the middle will be a pull out foot rest for someone sitting on the curb side bench facing the eventual entertainment cabinet on the street side.

Then underneath I created three "tip out" bins for paperwork. I tend to use the front area for computer and paperwork and it will be handy having some filing space within easy access. I thought about drawers for a while but then realized that the tip out bins would work easier in this tight spot under the table.

It was a bit more challenging getting the magnets in place for the tipouts. They are underneath them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000653.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	97035   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000652.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	97036  

Old 02-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Entertainment Cabinet - lower level

It's interesting to see what drives the design as I work through different areas of the Flying Cloud. Even though this is for "camping", we do like to watch TV and movies on the road. We don't have TV at home, so this is how we get our fix. Two weeks on the road and a lot of bad TV later, and we again confirm that we don't need it the rest of the year at home.

So how did the TV drive everything about the design up front. Well it started in our first design when we had the TV on the bathroom side wall and we oriented our lounge seats in that direction. But that created a need for two lounge seats that formed a traditional dinette and we decided we didn't have enough space for that up front.

Eventually we came up with the brainstorm of moving the TV over to the streetside up front. Then we could create an L lounge and figure out some way that both of us could face the TV with our feet up.

The TV has taken one more evolution and now it will be a large laptop with a TV card so that when it's not in use it stows easily out of the way - one of the best aspects of a laptop.

Back to the entertainment cabinet. The design has taken many turns as we have worked through the TV and stereo choices. It has settled down to a three level cabinet that is built around the battery and some utilities in the lower right corner.

In the lower left corner we created specific storage for two needs we always have when we go camping - where do we put the dog food and where can we store the bottles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000662.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	97037   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000663.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	97038  

Old 02-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Entertainment cabinet - middle level

In the middle level of this cabinet I've created space for four pull out drawers. Since this space has some wild shapes to it I will be building these drawers out of wood.

I have created the framework for the drawers that you can see in the photos. The challenge in this area was how to retain access to the battery compartment below so that once in a while I could get in here to check on utilities and eventually change the battery.

Well take a close look at the framework on the right and see if you can figure it out.

Now three of the drawers will have easy access, but the lower right drawer will have an L Lounge cushion coming up to it. So I will need to move that cushion out of the way to gain access. Amazing what drives the design sometimes. In this case all the drawer sizes were keyed off the height of that cushion so at least three of them would have easy access.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000664.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	97039  
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I am so in awe of your work. Amazing craftsmanship, and attention to detail and functionality.

Awesome...just awesome.

Steve
Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Always a treat looking at your work, Mike. Many good ideas to be borrowed here. Thanks for sharing.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1953, flying cloud