Old 03-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the pictures! The Elfa bins are perfect and I am going to order some next week. I am also sending you several boxes of my wife's stuff, because you are going to have a lot more room than I am!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
You are welcome FLYNCLD.

The Elfa bins have a nice big lip that makes them slide well in a slot. They also sell metal slots for them, but I decided to just make my own out of wood since everything has to eventually be attached to a wood frame.

I'm using 1/2 inch strips of plywood for my slots. One on the bottom of the Elfa lip to obviously ride on, and one on the top to stop it from tipping up as it gets more than half way out.

My wife usually wins the award for the most stuff she wants to bring along camping. Last time before I caught her she had about 8 pairs of footware set aside for a 2 week trip. I don't think I own 8 pairs of shoes/boots.

She will be limited by the bins in the FC. But by providing her with a good amount, then at least I won't have to do as much carrying from the truck into the FC everytime we set up camp.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Actually I am thinking about building a bin for my wife in the trailer. This will give me a lot more room in the truck! Just kidding dear!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
oooohhhhh! Someone's sleeping on the sofa tonight!!
Marc
Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Or the Gaucho as the case may be!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Cherry Trim

I finished trimming out the zip dee locker, the shoe locker, and the rack cabinet that are right by the door. I've shown pictures already of the frame work for the zip dee locker and the shoe locker. I thought about taking a picture of the framing for the rack cabinet, but it makes much more sense when you see it trimmed out like this.

The rack cabinet is meant to hold all the misc. stuff we used to throw on the counter by the door when we came in. There are five shelves with a 2.5 inch front to contain whatever is put in there. It looks like six shelves, but in the middle of the cabinet, one of the cherry trim pieces doesn't have a shelf bottom. It is open to the shelf below it to help contain paperwork. We can put the dog lease, the dog baggies, the flashlite, the campground paperwork, and other small stuff in here. Then of course we will still fill the counter with lots of new stuff.

All the trim is cherry. We live on a forest farm and all the wood is from our land. This cherry was cut about five years ago. I used a Woodmizer bandsaw to cut it into boards and it's been air drying ever since.

The rack cabinet back is birch plywood as well as the door into the zip dee locker. We'll continue this same pattern around all the woodwork in the Flying Cloud - birch ply for the large areas, and cherry for all the trim.

I haven't mounted the zip dee door yet. It's just sitting there in place. I need to start thinking about the hardware I'll use for the hinges and the door pulls and latches for the small amount of doors I'll have.

Anyways here are a couple of pictures. I need to take a break for about a month and finish some other woodworking projects. I'll get back to building and more posts later in April.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3727.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	77119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3729.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	77120  

Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I absolutely love your idea of the "rack cabinet."

I've only been camping in my Overlander twice, but I've been renovating it for about 4 months now, and the counter on top of the 'fridge cabinet at the entryway invariably fills up with tons of junk, just as you stated. Right now it's drill bits and bolts and wire cutters and receipts and beer bottles, but in my ideal world, it will be maps and flashlights and butane lighters and campground paperwork and beer bottles, and the rack cabinet is perfect for holding ALL of the above.

Well, except for the beer bottles. Those will still stay on the counter on top of the 'fridge cabinet, which will officially become "The Bar."

Great ideas and beautiful work, thanks for sharing! I'm disappointed now though, to hear that you won't be providing any more updates for the next month. That is cruel torture!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow! That's some beautiful work you're doing there. One question though, it seems your doorway steps down inside? Was this standard in the '50's, or is your floor built up?

Looking great! What are you doing for a bathroom... wet or dry bath? Are you making your own shower pan?
Marc
Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
One question though, it seems your doorway steps down inside? Was this standard in the '50's, or is your floor built up?

What are you doing for a bathroom... wet or dry bath?
Marc
Thanks Marc.

That step down was standard in the early 50s. It is actually nice because you only need one more step outside instead of the borderline two.

My bath was created by GSM when Colin Hyde and crew did the majority of the re-work on my FC. It's a wet bath and very efficient (read: small) in fitting with everything else going on inside. I'll take some pictures sometime and post. We made sure the throne seat was comfortable for all that reading time. We put a small but very usable sink in one corner. And Colin found a hose connection for the shower that plugs into the sink faucet so we can share the sink hot/cold control with the shower. Always thinking dual purpose in a small unit.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I'm disappointed now though, to hear that you won't be providing any more updates for the next month. That is cruel torture!

-Marcus
Thanks Marcus,

No torture intended. I'm actually trying to pace myself on the construction instead of rushing through everything. It gives me more time to think through the design and try some new things instead of just building away. For the cabinet area I'm currently working on by the door, I went through three different designs before I settled in on this combination.

So far I'm spending over twice my time doing design work compared to the actual building.

The bins for instance are great for space efficiency and weight savings, but they are tough to design in. They come in a certain set of sizes. So if one bin doesn't fit then the next one is 3 inches bigger and I have to decide if I want to give up that much more space or take it away from somewhere else to make it work.

And really enjoying the process. Cabinetry is the fun stuff (for me at least).
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Wow!!!

Thanks a lot! Now I'm going to have to revisit my design and probably start over! LOL Now those are some great ideas! Absolutely beautiful work and the end result is going to look great.

http://55flyingcloud7909.blogspot.com
slvrlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
This work is awesome. my old 56 Caravanner was framed in 1x2 cedar to keep it really light. Love the bins and roller doors!

Steve
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
Cloths Closet

I'm back to working on the cabinets again. Now things are getting more challenging because I'm starting to work up the curved walls of the Flying Cloud.

I have built the 1x2 framework for the cloths closet. This took a lot of time thinking about how I wanted to anchor it without going into the bathroom wall. It's a wet bath so I didn't want to put any screws in that wall. And getting everything to fit tightly going up the curves took many cuts and test fits, and cuts and test fits, and ...

On the left side is the hanging space for shirts and on the right side is space for three more bins and a couple of shelves.

I have also done a first pass at putting the birch plywood draw fronts on the bins for the two lower cabinets in this area. I haven't adjusted them to get them perfectly flat or unified the gaps between drawers. That will happen after I get all the cherry trim on.

So here are a couple of pictures that are just work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3750.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	79316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3754.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	79317  

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Nice work! Will the fronts need any edging?

Tags
1953, flying cloud