Old 01-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Progress....

Busy working away…here’s a few shots. New gaskets on all the windows - Front original light fixture back up and working – oh and how lovely. Only one set of cushions so far…finished the firebox with the stainless heat shields – placed the woodstove – looking forward to the first fire…but I did enjoy my first beer at the booth yesterday…Ah tasted mighty fine. Picked a stain for the woodwork I call it dusty rose – shot of my best girlfriend Michelle staining. Still have not decided on tanks…thinking fresh water under the woodstove and the gray under the booth seat curbside with tub above and the other booth seat hiding the batteries and solar goodies - open to suggestions. Oh what a blast!
Theresa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	michelle_painting.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	30695   Click image for larger version

Name:	as_light.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	30696  

Name:	as_woodstove.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	30697  

Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.gray
Busy working away…here’s a few shots. New gaskets on all the windows - Front original light fixture back up and working – oh and how lovely. Only one set of cushions so far…finished the firebox with the stainless heat shields – placed the woodstove – looking forward to the first fire…but I did enjoy my first beer at the booth yesterday…Ah tasted mighty fine. Picked a stain for the woodwork I call it dusty rose – shot of my best girlfriend Michelle staining. Still have not decided on tanks…thinking fresh water under the woodstove and the gray under the booth seat curbside with tub above and the other booth seat hiding the batteries and solar goodies - open to suggestions. Oh what a blast!
Theresa
Very nice trailer great job. Be very careful with that stove in a confined space, every time I see one in a trailer or a boat I cringe. Load up the trailer with Carbon Monoxide Detectors. My new unit with a new furnace came with 2 installed, so Airstream takes the possibility of a modern heating system putting out Carbon Monoxide as a serious liability, Several companies design nice units for confined spaces which are much safer and have been discussed here in the past. Off of the soap box now.

Thanks Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #101

West Sacramento , California
Wow your trailer is looking great. i also am in the process of restoring a 53 Flying Cloud. Do you have any tips on removing the paint on the inside? That is this weeks project.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #102
Craftsman

Love that wood stove. I would have one in mine but there's no place to fit it.I've mentioned this before but for anyone who wants to look Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc. has some really nice small wood stoves. Remember when you use bamboo it's a nice ecological choice because it's a grass not a tree.Not that there's anything wrong with wood. I use it everyday.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Very nice trailer great job. Be very careful with that stove in a confined space, every time I see one in a trailer or a boat I cringe. Load up the trailer with Carbon Monoxide Detectors. My new unit with a new furnace came with 2 installed, so Airstream takes the possibility of a modern heating system putting out Carbon Monoxide as a serious liability, Several companies design nice units for confined spaces which are much safer and have been discussed here in the past. Off of the soap box now.

Thanks Jim
Jim- Thank you for your concern - promise to have a Carbon Monoxide detector and also plan to install an always open safety vent next to the stove.
theresa
Old 01-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #104
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsondes
Wow your trailer is looking great. i also am in the process of restoring a 53 Flying Cloud. Do you have any tips on removing the paint on the inside? That is this weeks project.
Removing the paint was a huge job and I just hated it - I used a powerful and toxic paint remover then attached a brass wire round brush to my drill and removed it in small sections - truly a better way must be out there - I have read a few posts claiming to remove it with a sandblaster but instead of sand they used baking soda - give it a try. Good luck to you and wear a mask.
theresa
Old 01-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Soda blasting works, but be aware it is not inexpensive. It does not damage the surface so it is a nice and fast option, but make sure you get quotes and in some areas there may only be one place that does it. If you can take the trailer to them you can probably save some loot versus having a mobile unit come to you.

Barry
Old 01-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.gray
Jim- Thank you for your concern - promise to have a Carbon Monoxide detector and also plan to install an always open safety vent next to the stove.
theresa
Thanks for taking the unsolicited advice it such a gracious manner.

Yes, I want your trailer. I am looking for a fifties trailer. Keep posting pictures as the progress has been amazing.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #107
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Love that wood stove. I would have one in mine but there's no place to fit it.I've mentioned this before but for anyone who wants to look Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc. has some really nice small wood stoves. Remember when you use bamboo it's a nice ecological choice because it's a grass not a tree.Not that there's anything wrong with wood. I use it everyday.
Ah…it’s a tiny stove are you sure it won’t fit – check out Carlos Ferguson’s thread when you get a chance he did a beautiful job installing the navigator little cod stove.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Completely in love with my trailer - it was a great week. Woodstove is working and warming up the space - still a little work on the chimney but it's working and feels like a home. Worked on cabinet frame - no drawers yet but oh so close. Placed the stove and installed the counter and happy with the oak counters. Looking for suggestions for tub - thinking under the booth seat on the curbside - any ideas out there for type of tub - also thinking about making it but not sure how. Hoping to move in February 1st - looking for warmth, a working stove and a bed.
theresa
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as_oven_counter.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	31007  
Old 01-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #109
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow Theresa, that is really cool...er...warm. You're progressing nicely, keep at it. Are you going to have a frisge when you're done? Although about now in Michigan you may not need one.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Trailer is looking great. Nothing like a warm place to be.
Don
Old 01-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #111
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Wow Theresa, that is really cool...er...warm. You're progressing nicely, keep at it. Are you going to have a frisge when you're done? Although about now in Michigan you may not need one.

Brad
FF
Yes it's cold..oh so cold here but a cold beer next to the woodstove sounds pleasant but not an icy beer. No refridgerator for now but this is the one I want for the future, http://www.sunfrost.com/refrigerator_models.html - it's a quiet unit which for me is important - it's pricey so it's on my wish list along with the Bosch RV water heater. Thanks for the positive feedback.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
Theresa - Looks great! Love the way your project is going....

Tags
1953, flying cloud