Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs up Most excellent!

Oh, wow! Just plain wow!

Roger

Old 02-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Thanks for the great support - Chief Rog it's good to hear from you.

Captain Jones I'm curious about the holes you've encountered can you post some pictures - not possible too patch?

David the dent idea I will try when the days become warmer here - But I have decided to work from the outside to repair the dents instead of from the inside for the front dents anyway. But as for the top probably replace a few panels not sure how to duplicate the rolled seam though. Brilliant to place Styrofoam - nice and light weight too. Since my new tow vehicle will only tow 3000#.

A few months ago I ripped up the flooring down to the plywood - yesterday I sanded a small section and it's beautiful - so that works for me but I need some ideas for trim around the edges - wood or metal.

A few months ago I ripped up the flooring down to the plywood - yesterday I sanded a small section and it's beautiful - so that works for me but I need some ideas for trim around the edges - wood or metal.
Theresa

Old 02-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.gray
David the dent idea I will try when the days become warmer here - But I have decided to work from the outside to repair the dents instead of from the inside for the front dents anyway. But as for the top probably replace a few panels not sure how to duplicate the rolled seam though. Brilliant to place Styrofoam - nice and light weight too. Since my new tow vehicle will only tow 3000#.

Theresa

Hi Theresa, what do you mean about around the edges - where the plywood meets the walls? If that's what you are talking about I think a 3/8"x1" strip of wood would be nice (that's what I will use in certain places). There must not be too many places where the floor/wall joint will even be visible?

The sanded front cap looks great. How is the rest coming? Once you get past this point it gets a lot more satisfying pretty quickly.

Maybe a metal shop would know how to make that rolled edge, you could take off the old pieces and duplicate them and have a shop roll the edge before installing the new... Then use olympic rivets to reinstall without having to remove the interior cap. This is where I get my alumiyum: http://www.airpartsinc.com/ (2024 t3 .032 aluminum sheet)

Carlos
Old 02-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Hi Theresa, what do you mean about around the edges - where the plywood meets the walls? If that's what you are talking about I think a 3/8"x1" strip of wood would be nice (that's what I will use in certain places). There must not be too many places where the floor/wall joint will even be visible?

Carlos

Hey Carlos - yes you've got it - I'd like something clean either metal or wood stripping along the edge. The plan is to keep it sparse, clean and inspiring so that leaves almost one side of the trailer bare of furniture - although I plan to build a box around the wheel well for sitting and storing boots. - I do like your idea – how will you adhere the wood stripping? The trailer is almost completely sanded and I must say, looking quite lovely. It feels good to see it moving in a more visually pleasing direction. Thanks for the info - also Carlos where did you purchase your skylights? Thanks for the aluminum lead. I will check it out and get it ready for repairing in April.
Theresa
Old 02-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Sometimes the light green under it comes up to -- sometimes it doesn't. I'm trying to figure out a way to accelerate the delamination WITHOUT the zolatone coming up with it. It's extremely frustrating though as I'm thinking this is going to take a VERY LONG TIME...

Yours looks great -- go after it!

__
Sounds frustrating - not sure what zolatone is - will you be painting over it or leaving it the beautiful light green? I put quite a few hours in before things started looking better - keep it up - any pictures of your process posted?

Theresa
Old 02-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
the holes

This is an example of the holes I was talking about. Most have been patched, but make such an ugly random pattern that polishing the interior is no longer an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holes.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	18530  
Old 02-18-2006, 12:28 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.gray
– how will you adhere the wood stripping? The trailer is almost completely sanded and I must say, looking quite lovely. It feels good to see it moving in a more visually pleasing direction. Thanks for the info - also Carlos where did you purchase your skylights? Thanks for the aluminum lead. I will check it out and get it ready for repairing in April.
Theresa
This is a good place for vents, good prices, helpful...

http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/

The only problem with the vents is that they are plastic. I made aluminum trim for mine and might make an aluminum plate for the center too so there isn't a square of white plastic in my wood ceiling.

I will use nice stainless screws or rivets to attach the trim to the bottom of the wall. If they are spaced nicely I think they will be a good bridge from the wood floor to the rivetted walls.

C
Old 02-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
I'm assuming this had barrel seats in it new, but I'll try and get a dinette in it that matches what could have been there. The only thing I'm really struggling with is adding a bathroom. To do it I've got to take a few inches off the existing kitchen cabinet space and blow out a tiny closet. I've seen examples of both. If I can keep the cabinets looking like they could have been original, I'll make whatever I need to out of the interior for the bathroom. I've already purchased an antique fold down sink out of a railway compartment. I just hope it's going to fit (in the down position)..

I think you should throw some art in there now, take some shots, and give us a sneak preview!!

__
Wow - I admire you for keeping it close to original -- mine I believe also had barrel seats - do you know of any photos of barrel seats - I go back and forth about a dinette or seats in the front. Your fold down sink sounds fascinating any photos to post?
No sneak peeks actually no new work for me because I've been busy in my airstream (pure excuse) but here's the website to my gallery: www.gebbengraygallery.com
Old 02-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJones
This is an example of the holes I was talking about. Most have been patched, but make such an ugly random pattern that polishing the interior is no longer an option.
Gregg,
What a bummer - any ideas of how you'll work around this - would a swirled pattern from a grinder work?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Where/How did you snag a catalog?
And Can I talk you into making a copy?
Thanks for posting the picture of the Dinette.
Mark

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Wow! Thank you thank you for posting the photos - very intriguing. Heading back into my airstream to sand the plywood floor just about half done. The dinette photo is great info thank you for searching it out.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #26
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
It looks like a really nicely upholstered bench type seat. I had expected a more typical looking dinette. So much for the 40" cushion set I just bought!

Now that I know what an original looks like I can try and scout out someone WITH an original dinette to get some measurements. These look more like booth benches you'd find in a diner. I'm wondering if they were designed to fold down into a bed? It doesn't appear they'd lay all that flat to me.

__
Those are known as jacknife "sectionals". They used couches with arms that operated the same way across the front as well. They weren't built in, just set in place. They will fold down without being moved. They use a similar style folding action on the front couches of the Classic today.

Roger
Old 03-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #27
51 cruiser

1951 25' Cruiser
Livingston , Montana
Hello 65GT,
The dinette picture that you posted from the catalog looks very much like our "divan" in our 51 Cruiser. Our divan has a third piece that comes out from inside the bottom to make more of a bed. Vintageairstream.com has better pictures of ours on it. Hope this helps. I can get better pictures if you would like.

Danette
Old 03-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #28
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Roger,

Can you tell me more about how the were hinged or attached to one another? I've got the '65GT and the gauchos on that are one piece (sewn together) so they just move down flat. I'm guessing the '53 dinette was a wooden box with springs and upholstery. It doesnt' look like it would fold flat, it would be four humps.

Do you know if they were literally four upholstered boxes? Do you know what kept them on the box bases? It looks more like furniture because I think I see the bases are raised slightly and supported by corner feet.

I'm familiar with jacknife benches (I've got one in the conversion van). Do you think they used hardware to put these down and then up again after use?

I got some clues from the '51 catalog too. It shows four pieces laying flat on top of two bases that do not go all the way back to the wall.

If you've got anymore info, I'll take it! Thanks!

__
The one that was in my '57 Overlander was furniture on legs, stock from the factory. It has a ratcheting mechanism in it that would allow it to be upright or flat as a spare bed. The back and seat were sewn together. My folks actually had similar furniture in our house when I was a kid that I think they bought new in about 1957... Someplace around home, I've got photos of the couch in the '57. I'll see if I can scan them and post them for you.

What I don't know is when they started using that style of furniture in coaches. My '53 Flying Cloud (now t.gray's FC) didn't have furniture in it when I got it, just the front cabinets as pictured in the photos posted above.

Roger

Tags
1953, flying cloud