Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1950-1955 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
1950 - More than a project?

Hi, a few years back I passed up on a 1957 Flying Cloud. My wife said there will be others. Well years have passed and this is the only other opportunity I'VE come across. The question is....is this too much of a project. It is a couple of hundred km away, but worth a Saturday drive. I've done a major repair on a 69 Caravelle...but nothing that required major skin repair.

Thoughts?

Roulotte Airstream 22 p. Flying cloud 1950 - City of Montréal Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji City of Montréal Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16d,!)kFIeuU8Z2iBSN8jMwPo!~~48_20.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	195898   Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16V,!)sFIZMwm+72BSN8jJ7D!w~~48_20.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	195899  

Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16ZHJF0FFZvw)5I-BSN8jHhp9g~~48_20.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	195900  
Julison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Actually if the price is right why not? If it were easy to do then it would not be available! Just be sure to post lots of pictures!
Cliff
Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
These are my opinions. I have restored/refurb, not sure the purist term here, a 1950 Flying Cloud. I think the price is high. I paid less and mine was towable. All you get for the money is the name and serial number. You will have to redo almost all of it. I too had to recreate front end cap panels. It can be done but expect to buy way more aluminum as you learn. I doubt very little inside is any good. Mine was not. Keep in mind it had little to start. 110 only. No plumbing. Any fabric is gone. Layers and layers of paint on every thing to point it is easier to buy new aluminum than clean the old. You will need good tools if you don't already. You have to build a frame or pay someone to do it and I can go on.

That said, what else are you going to do. This is a legit question as you either have the time and like to build and create and solve or you don't

If you have any questions feel free to ask
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Only you can answer your question "is it too much of a project." I will share some of my experiences, though.

First, I spent two years looking for the perfect trailer, definition of perfect being that it didn't require any sheet metal work, and had the size/layout that I was looking for. I finally found the trailer, brought it home discovered rear end separation and rotted frame, and this quickly turned into a shell off. My desire to avoid sheet metal work is long past. I've learned enough about bucking rivets that I am critical of the factory seams and sloppy work I see on the inside of the skin. The good thing about the trailer you are looking at is that all the sheets are flat. You can replace them with nothing more than a hand shear, air-riveter and a lot of elbow grease.

If you don't intend to buy the trailer, don't even take the long drive to go look at it. I drove 600 miles to "look at" my trailer. Naturally, I wasn't going to go home empty handed after that kind of drive, no matter what shape it was in. So, I convinced myself that those soft spots in the floor could be patched without too much trouble, and that the dent in a corner segment could be popped out with a suction cup.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
these dents arent going to pop out. the segments will need to be remade / replaced. you're essentially building a new trailer with out pieces and existing templates. it's only 2 hours from you, right? that's nothing! the end cap being ruined is the biggest detriment to most people. if you are prepared to remove those and replace them, then go for it. it's a big project but so unique and rare. do your best on price and dig in. you regretted the last opportunity you let slip by, right?

if you can get those panels replaced and you change your mind after that, i think you'd still be able to resell it for quite a bit more than you paid.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
That Trailer is so cool, Good thing I have my Safari or I'd be considering it. It does seem like a lot of money for a trailer that needs that much work, but think about what you would have when it is complete.

Do you want a project or want to go camping?
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
By posting the add for the trailer, you probably don't have to worry about getting it, someone will likely already have it bought

Not me, I already have enough work.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Sure is a cool trailer but you have to ask yourself if its too much of a project. It's more than likely going to need a lot more work than you initially see but it sure will be worth it.
You can do it and I'm sure you will have some negotiating room on that price.
Better jump on it.
Good luck

Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
One of my old bosses had A saying about projects. He said that the reason to start it has to be really great because the effort will be more and the benefits will be less than you originally anticipated. I have another 15 yes until retirement..... I hope the "once in a lifetime" finds will hang around until then. I hope one of you can take advantage of this.

Thanks all

Julison
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
The skin repair is not the biggest challenge. Like I said, if you like challenges to test your skills then you will succeed. I had never done any skin work and in the end I think I did an ok job recreating the panels. you have the originals to use as a pattern. You will need to roll them flat. I think the biggest challenge is the frame as it is a pipe frame. After that is the lifting and replacing of the shell. If you are not handy at various skills such as sheet metal or plumbing or electric or carpentry, all it takes is an attitude to learn keeping in mind that while learning it may take several attempts and wasted material. Another big challenge are the windows. No one makes the gaskets. Not even VTS. It is single strength and breaks with little force. The windows are unique to 1950 and early 1951. If you mangle a frame wrestling in the glass and the not quite right gasket you found you cannot get a replacement. So with this old of trailer you have to like creating and fabricating and be creative to solve so many things you just cannot throw money at. Can you at least get the SN and post it
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I replaced 11 of 13 segments on the front of my 57 overlander. I learned some. I gathered a few new tools. And I look at things a little different now. My project isn't done yet but I do look forward to any bragging rights if I finish it

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay last comment and then I read to see what you decided. If the price is okay for you and you want to learn and can deal with the frustration then go for it! If your not quite sure then look for a less intensive project and start the learning curve on more comfortable ground. As for myself the caravel is perfect even if it is taking more time than anticipated (full life plate with the young). I want an over lander but I would have been overwhelmed so think about it and talk to the spouse then are pretty darn smart when it comes to knowing us!
Cliff
And post those pictures
Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi,
So I followed up with the seller and found that the trailer really is in rough shape. It is empty in side and he said it could only be moved with a float as the entire trailer frame is not stable. Too bad. However, even with those deficiencies he has very strong interest.

Julison
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julison View Post
Hi,
So I followed up with the seller and found that the trailer really is in rough shape. It is empty in side and he said it could only be moved with a float as the entire trailer frame is not stable. Too bad. However, even with those deficiencies he has very strong interest.

Julison
If it is indeed in that bad of shape go to the classifieds and buy that 73 overlander before I do! It's a road trip and looks great!
Cliff
Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Wish I had a 50. It's as old as I am. When I die I could be buried in it.

Tags