Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #1

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Napoleon , Ohio
What should I do

I have just bought my first airstream. It’s a 1953 flying cloud built in Ohio. I believe the 27th one. It has a great deal of the original interior minus the appliances. The person I bought it from did a really poor job replacing the floor. They left the cabinets in and patched around. It appears I’m now into a full rehab. Which I anticipated anyways. So do I try to incorporate all the old interior cabinetry? I have removed it all very carefully and other than a little break down on the floor it is in really good shape. Is all of it worth anything to anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A651AD9D-A593-4CD3-8685-4EAC45440D58.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	346646   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDE971FD-EE14-461E-A3FB-E4EBD7C8C9FE.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	346647  

Name:	DBAE1F7F-EB08-4C5B-92A7-0A865D78CC05.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	346648   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7186F0E-6E6F-4EB7-BC57-65235A33A37C.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	346649  

Teethbyheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Congratulations. I can’t imagine the original interior cabinetry could be refinished to original. You may consider using the existing as patterns. Up to you. I would think that era used birch which is readily available. You’ve got a great project and look forward to your progress posts. Also, if you want it posted on the Captain Jones’ Flying Cloud Registry, let me know the VIN number. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Whether or not to use the old cabinetry would be a decision I suggest you make after you determine what layout works for you. I stayed with the original cabinetry. Partly because I wanted to retain the original look, which we liked. But also because I kept the original layout so I knew the cabinets fit.

My wife stripped, stained and cleared them.

There are downsides. As you mentioned there was damage at the bottom. I had to 'reinforce' some structural supports. Also, any modifications PO made probably left holes, etc. that will show. We have one panel like that, between the kitchen sink cab and the street side twin. It probably had 15 holes from home made cabs added to both sides. I'll have most of them covered soon. I bought a vintage paper dispenser (towel, wax, foil) that we're having copper plated and powder coated clear.

If you prefer a layout change or a more modern look in materials, the originals will probably be good patterns to work from. Also, be sure you keep appliance dimensions in mind if upgrading/adding. That may require modifications to cabinet dimensions.

I don't know that anyone would want the cabinets, but hinges and latches would probably be of interest. If fact, if they are the style in the photos I'd be interested.

Name:	Cabinet latch.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	346701 Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet hinge.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	346702

Good luck and most importantly enjoy the process of getting a 60+ year old back on the road. Keep us posted.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Great space there you have for your project ��.
Building new interior cabinets and interior seems pretty demanding of skills and tools. But could potentially become exactly what you want.

If you do like the original interior details, and it does look to be in pretty good condition in the pics. They might clean up and refinish nicely alowing them to be reused. Trim or kick plates around the bottom may cover the damaged areas.

Some modifications may be possible to allow for modern appliances etc, without changing the original appearance too much.

It will be fun to watch what ever you decide to do, keep us posted.

Are you a dentist by any chance?

Cheers Richard

PS, living with the the original interior in my 345 motorhome, I've come to appreciate the quality and clever layout of the airstream factory work.
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Quote:
So do I try to incorporate all the old interior cabinetry?
Congratulations on the purchase of your vintage beauty, and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots and help and opinion here. Ultimately the replace/restore will be a personal decision, but I look forward to following. Hopefully you'll keep us posted.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Nice - enjoy your project.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pleasantville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
Nice - enjoy your project.
Wow, I don't covet your garage, I just want one like it!
Danbertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The good news is that you have plenty of nicely enclosed space to do whatever you need to do. That's a major plus !!! Take your time and investigate as much of the trailer as you possibly can *before* you make any decisions. It has not seen a lot of conversion over the years, but I'd bet there are surprises hidden here or there. Better to know about them as early in the process as possible.

One thing I would not keep original is the electrical setup. Time has moved on. That beast likely came stock with a fuse based 120V system. The 12V converter that came stock *might* be of interest to a museum . It's not something you should depend on for camping.

LED lighting makes an enormous amount of sense if you will be running on batteries much at all. Getting them in there *before* the cabinets go back in .... real good idea. You may (or may not) have to dig a bit deeper to run wires. If a deep dive is needed, you very much need to stop and think about the whole project. Pulling the inside shell is doable, but a chore.

Lots of variables ... and hopefully a lot of fun.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
I would think that you might want to keep all the original doors, if you plan to use the same layout.....THe doors can be easily refinished, but the stiles and boxes probably need to be rebuilt? .....I have a cabinet shop, and do lots of rehab jobs on cabinets, and we reuse front stiles and doors often, and just build new boxes, in order to match the existing cabinets.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If I had shop like that I would do a full monty and go back with Cosa Board. Also the newer Airstreams are being built with drain slots in the "C: channel to let water through if you have a leak rather than let it accumulate. Another plus is to use seal tape where panels join rather than a Vulcum type sealant that is nearly impossible to remove if you want to replace a panel. Have fun and enjoy your beauty.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
If I had shop like that I would do a full monty and go back with Cosa Board. Also the newer Airstreams are being built with drain slots in the "C: channel to let water through if you have a leak rather than let it accumulate. Another plus is to use seal tape where panels join rather than a Vulcum type sealant that is nearly impossible to remove if you want to replace a panel. Have fun and enjoy your beauty.
guskmg
All new, x2.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote