Old 08-25-2004, 01:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Malcolm,

I have roughed up areas with a wire wheel on a drill to make fiberglass patches hold better in the past and as far as I know the patches are still holding. I did this once on a diesel tank on a semi and it held for the 4 following years that I owned the truck and is probably still holding today if the truck is still around.

First I would rough the area with the wire wheel, then use paint thinner or mineral spirits (the same thing) to clean the area then I would blow it off with an air line and apply the patch.

I know this gives it extra surface to bite so I am sure it would cause either Vulkem or Sikaflex to hold well.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
What about Vulkem 116?

I have read a lot in these forums about different versions of Vulkem, Sikaflex and etc. I have seen some mention of Vulkem 116 which seems not to be the one most widely recommended in the forums. It is, however, available locally at Lowes. Does anyone have any information as to whether or not it would work for sealing seams from the inside? I don't really care about its texture or even the color. I do, however, want a water tight seal. I have some time this weak and would like to get the job done without having to wait to order something. I will probably order some Sikaflex if the Vulkem 116 is not adequate.

What do you think?

Malcolm

Old 08-25-2004, 07:47 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I have a chart somewhere, but I cannot find it for the life of me. It has all the different types, adhesive capability, recommended uses, etc. I will keep looking.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Isn't it TremcoPro/Vulkem 616 Polyurethane Sealant? I have a gun grade tube in front of me 300ml/10.1 U.S. FL.OZ. tube. Tremco Sealent/Weatherproofing Division, 3735 Green Road, Beachwood, Ohio 44122 or 220 Wickseed Avenue, Toronto, ON M4H 167.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
116 vs. 616...

Brett,

I believe that Andy from Inland also published a list on the forums here somewhere but I can not seem to find it.

Tinsel Loaf,

The type of Vulkem you mentioned (616) is usually the preffered number. There are actually several numeric designators for various versions of Vulkem however. What I am trying to find out is if the 116 variety will also work well enough for the need I mentioned so that I do not have to wait to get some shipped to me. Vulekm 116 as I mentioned is available from Lowes (and I already have some on hand awaiting this assesment). If I need something else I do have a couple of tubes of Sikaflex that I could use and that might be enough or at least might be enough until I can get some more.

Malcolm
Old 08-25-2004, 10:43 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
If I need something else I do have a couple of tubes of Sikaflex that I could use and that might be enough or at least might be enough until I can get some more.
Here is my personal experience. The Silkaflex is going to go on nice and smooth, it is a thinner or more liquid based product coming out of the tube. Horizontal flat surfaces will be no problem. It self levels, or so it seems to. Sealing overhead seams from the inside may be difficult to get an adequate amount of the Silkaflex to stay on the roof. It seems to have the consistency of room temperature honey.

The Vulcem products I have used all have a stiffer feel to them compared to the Silkaflex. The 616 is a more coarse finish/grain and IIRC the 116 is a smoother finish. Both of them are quite stiff coming out of the tube and should not drip of the inner roof. Off the cuff I would say the 116 is half way between the 616 and the Silkaflex. It finishes smoother, but is not as stiff. IIRC form the grid I had the 116 has a slightly weaker grip rating that the 616. I have no idea how the Silkaflex does regarding grip strength.

Hope that was helpful
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
From the Tremco Products page....

Vulkem 116
Product Description:
Vulkem 116 is a one-part moisture curing, gun grade polyurethane sealant. Vulkem 116 is durable, flexible and offers excellent performance in moving joints. Vulkem 116 does not require a primer on most construction materials.

Basic Uses:
Vulkem 116 is an excellent general purpose sealant designed for use in precast, masonry, window frame perimeters and similar types of construction joints. Vulkem 116 is suitable for continual immersion in water. Vulkem 116 is designed for exterior and interior use.

http://www.tremcosealants.com/produc...ct_id=1&bhfv=5

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:20 AM   #22
Site Team

, Minnesota
From a previous thread:

Adhesion on aluminum -
Vulkem 636 - 3.5 N/mm
Sikaflex 221 - 4.4 N/mm

This seems to be backed up by 59Toaster's post that he thought Sikaflex formed a tougher joint on aluminum.