Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Vetting: A *Temp* Twin to Queen setup

Looking to have a Queen, but keeping options open.

I have the Rear Bedroom setup and have seen what j54mark and BobThompson and others have done to 'enable snuggling'

But in case we have an opportunity to trade for a slightly better coach with the rear Queen already done, I'm thinking of a temporary setup at night.

One has to remove the bedside table for sure - and I want to keep it intact. Then the twin mattresses can be turned 90% and pushed to the back of the coach. Where the bedside table was would now be a homemade table with one of the drawers and at the lower height of the twin supports.

As a center support, I'm thinking of a 1/2" (or better) plywood piece about 42" by 25". To allow it to be flat I am thinking of T channel attached to both sides to ride on the current twinbed edge. Then for bend support - run the T channel underneath along the other two edges. It would be stored under a twin bed during the day.

This leaves about 12" at the foot if the head is on street side, and 12" of space left between the bed and the bath wall for glasses, etc.

Then in the morning just rotate the mattress to the twin configuration for access to the storage.

If I permanently do the queen, I'd shorten the hanging closets to get by easier - but that's more work.

I soon may tire of the exchange, but if another coach soon becomes available, I may more easily sell mine.

Opinions please.....

Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
Looking to have a Queen, but keeping options open.... opinions please.....

I would think that having to wrestle the rear mattresses daily would get old quick. I completely converted the rear to pretty much all bed as per the diagram below.

One thing I did change was the removal of the two 8" X 48" Bolsters toward the front of the bedroom. Note that the length measurement is incorrect on the diagram - one is about 28" long, the other is about 39" long.

The resulting "open space" makes repositioning on and rising from the bed much easier. King sized fitted and flat "Tee Shirt Material" sheets fit pretty well, and are not too difficult to make up.

As far as the storage space under the bed - there is so much storage space in our unit that (so far, at least) we have not missed it.

More pics and a discussion of how the conversion came to be can be found here:

All of the original framing and hardware is either in place or in storage, so converting back to the original layout could be easily accomplished.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote