Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

using a futon mattress instead of cushions

We just purchased a 74 overlander and are working on many things, though it is in very good shape. At some point I want to redo the cushions and think that a futon double mattress might be the best option. I think it will fit, but don't know how well it will stay folded as a couch. We have a futon, but it has a slant which sits the cushion in, the airstream couch does not. Any one who has tried this? I have read where it does interfere with the curtains. this is not a problem. Thanks for any help.
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:43 PM   #2
ShastaRam

1974 27' Overlander
Redding , California
Futon-74 Overlander

I also have just purchased a 74 Overlander and am considering the same fix for cushion replacement. I have read various opinions from people stating a futon is an option for replacement. When cushion replacement gets to the top of my priority list, I plan to shop around for the lightest and thinest Futon I can find. Good Luck.
rmurphymai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
I too am using a futon-one I already have- anyone want my old couch is welcome- it's a nice/blue green pattern. Emphasis on come and get it I was hoping to use a strap to hold it in place where the crease is made. and perhaps some velcro tabs to keep the top up. not sure yet. so I will be interested in anyone's ideas. We are using poplar slats instead of plywood for more "give". there's always blow up camping mattresses when serious sleeping is needed. I did decide to make the french roll bolsters big enough to fit rolled up light weight sleeping bags, so they can double as bolsters. All covered in sturdy denim. (when I get the energy) silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Sounds like Silver Suz has some good ideas. I really don't want the couches out. I want to keep all original al i can....it is really decent, although the tambours need some work. Still looking for info. Thansk
Old 05-11-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
We replaced our old, tired, uncomfortable cushions with a futon this year. We found it did not really hamper curtains, stayed upright without any extra help and was much more comfortable to sleep on. This came about after reading this post:

Gaucho extension-any success stories?? ( 1 2 )

The explanation of the lower brackets for strength and stability, plus the pics provided gave us the insentive.

I was going to post a pic of our futon now that it is in place, but can't seem to get my gallery to come up. If you would like to see, it is in COArgosy78 picture gallery labeled "New Futon"

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info COArgosy78. I checked out your gallery and saw the futon. You're right. It seems to fit just fine. I have been hearing from others that it is a more comfortable solution as well. Just one small (?) query...... if i click on rin tin tin, how much larger will he get????? (sorry, I couldn't help it.)
Old 05-12-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Debbie - Our little RinTinTin is 11lbs of all GIRL power, so she can get as big as she thinks she is!! She gets heartbroken if we don't take her, but we do scan the skies on occasion in case of hawks/eagles. (They might think she is a big mouse with her ears )

Noticed my link to "the Extension" post didn't work. It has some good pics and info regarding using a futon in place of cushions. Ken Smilie did a great job and the fold down feet he created and displayed are crucial because the futon does extend out further than the cushions making it necessary to have support underneath. The only drawback that we have encountered w/futon is weight. It is heavier/somewhat more awkward to move that cushions were, but the comfort for sleeping makes it worthwhile. I'm going to try the Extension post again...

Extension Thread

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Sorry about that. Wasn't sure of the gender. I think it was her "forceful" demeanor. The extension thread works and thanks!