Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
sold it

howdy- went down to the big city (fort collins) today with my pile of aluminum extrusions from the interior re-model- I believe it was some 40 pounds of the stuff. Sold it, along with some of the old copper propane line, old valves, etc. for $40, to the local metal scrapyard. Nice to get it out of my garage, and life. Am thinking about going down to Creede for a vintage rally the weekend of Aug. 12- in my Coleman pop-up, which I pull with my Sienna van. Still no TV for the overlander though, waiting for one to roll into my driveway. Saw a nicely polished 70's model AS today in the walmart lot, from nebraska- heading to Creede? OK- no other news...
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Why paint helps...

My speculation about why the paint helps is that even though it is thin it does stop a lot of heat transfer by conduction through the aluminum. The shiny aluminum may very well reflect better than the white paint. I am of the opinion that the best combination would be to paint the outer skin on the inside with something thick and goopy and let the shine on the outside reflect the heat.

Check out the following threads for some discussion about the heat transfer issuess:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...red-13363.html

http://www.airforums.com/forum...lts-13953.html

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
it's curtains for me...

hi all- just got back from a week in the mountains of northern Colorado, saw these: 4 BIG bull moose, 3 beavers, 2 osprey, 1 eagle, and hardly any mid-west tourists. (Disclaimer: I am from Wisconsin) Anyhoo, Jane made another curtain for the room divider- now just the gaucho cover, and maybe a shade for above the sink, and her work is done. The last major thing will be the sound system, it won't be too audiophile-obsessed though. Have looked a little at F-150's, am hoping to weigh in at less than stock with my remodel and avoid going with the F-250. But we'll see about that- I don't want to under-do it with the TV. So- winding down, after 13 months of ownership. Don't know when the fun of traveling in it will begin but can't wait!! -tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1566_IMG.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	24731   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1567_IMG.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	24732  

Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
gaucho marx

howdy- never fun to have to re-do your work, but that's how my day was spent. After building the gaucho frame out of maple, with 3 doors for tote access, getting it all done except for the armrests, my wife sat in it and I saw that her feet were just brushing the floor! So today I unscrewed and took out the entire thing, cut down the front frame by 2", cut down the supports, and put it all back together. Now she is comfortable, and that's what counts. So it is lower than how it came out of Jackson Center by 2" now, I should have paid more attention to what it felt like before tearing out the original. Still have to finish the armrests, I think I'll be putting a couple car stereo speakers in the front panels. So like they say- measure twice, cut once. -tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1571_IMG.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	24873   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1569_IMG.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	24874  

Old 08-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
tarpless

howdy- today I took off the polypropylene cover that was over my rig for the last 7 months or so, keeping the pine sap and bird poo off. I have to say I see no evidence of black marks, abrasion, wearing through the aluminum, etc. It just looks like the day I put the cover on, last october. These new covers are lightweight, soft, and breatheable- yet water resistant. So I'll post a couple pics of her, and one showing the under-gaucho bin doors. Still wondering what kind of stereo to install, a car stereo or a 110-v boombox/mini console thing? The mini-boombox could be used in the house, or elsewhere, when the coach is not being used. Any ideas out there? thanks- tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1580_IMG.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	24935   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1585_IMG.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	24936  

Name:	115-1583_IMG.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	24937  
Old 08-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
San Juan Capistrano , California
Hey Tim, the gaucho came out nice, Good job! Your woodwork is very nice too!
Ron
surferstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
details

howdy- Thanks Ron, for the encouragement- same to you on your '72! Have been working more lately on my friend's Avion than my own rig, still mulling over the sound system and a few other details. Did, however, finally get a couple different latches to hold the screen door open, and closed. No more wire! Will also include a pic of the center kitchen cabinet, which has a light inside, where all the plumbing "guts" are.I think I can eliminate the mouse traps now because I just sprayed that expanding foam insulation into every conceivable opening underneath, where the frame penetrates the water tank enclosure. And one pic showing the roof-line that I cleaned up by getting rid of the tv antenna, rotor mount, etc. It's just the vents now. To paint, or not to paint, the center roof section white? Probably won't, though it seems to make much sense. Also shopping around for a microwave-toaster-bake oven, something that will do most everything. Ideas? -tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1592_IMG.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	25217   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1593_IMG.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	25218  

Name:	115-1594_IMG.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	25219  
Old 08-27-2006, 09:06 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
gaucho done.

howdy- took a little time yesterday to finish the gaucho arms, will show what I did. Made the padded tops removeable, like they used to be, even stapled the old "do not remove..." tags back on them- faux-original. The areas below will be handy, I think, for storage of..pillows? sheets? I decided not to put car-stereo speakers in the fronts like I was thinking. After reading the thread on sound systems, am thinking more and more of the Tivoli system, or something comparable. By the way, the plastic trays that went below the armrests originally are available- pm me. -tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1595_IMG.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	25256   Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1596_IMG.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	25257  

Name:	115-1597_IMG.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	25258  
Old 08-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
San Juan Capistrano , California
Hey Tim,
I just installed a new stereo, speakers and a subwoofer. I'm very happy with my new sounds. I picked up some new 5" Pioneer speakers and reused the housing attachments that were already in my A/S. The C.D. player was just a basic unit with a input in the front for my ipod. I have a powered Bazooka 8" subwoofer in my truck, and I've been very happy with it. So, I bought a refurbished one on ebay and installed it too. It sounds great in there. In fact, we took her down to the beach again yesterday, and we played it loud enough that we could all be entertained with music while we were outside hanging out. Great! Plus, I should be able to adapt it all to a surround sound system when we get the flat screen installed.

It was well worth it, and you'll be happy with a new stereo. Just the speakers alone are such a difference compared to the old ones.

Good luck,
Ron
surferstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
music to my ears!

hey ron- your beach trip sounds great, I wish sometimes we weren't so dang far from the ocean up here in the mountains. I also wish I could magically transport my coach to Maui for at least 1 full winter! Anyway, your solution to the sound system sounds good- I'll PM to probably ask a few more details. I'm still mulling over which way to go on the whole thing, will go listen to the Tivoli system this week, 35 miles away. While I'm down there I'll drop in at the Bose outlet store too- eventually we'll have some music and news in the coach. I do think a subwoofer makes all the difference in the sound quality for a regular car-deck system- I wish I could hear yours! Thanks for sharing- Have fun- tim
Old 08-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #111
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Tim,

Your gaucho makes a more convincing couch than mine. Everybody entering my trailer looks at it right off and says, "Does that make a bed?"

The back of it is just not upright enough. It's days may be numbered anyway. I've been thinking about a front dinette and side couch conversion. (Which is much cheaper than buying a '34 and would only be a minor tweak of the L-couch floorplan that's more prevalent in this year model.)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
the tivoli

Lamar- if they visit early in the morning, do they say "does that make into a couch"? Just wanted to post a pic or 2 of the Tivoli Model 2 that quite a few people reccomended, a really nice-sounding mini-stereo! When the speakers are on the front shelf, in the corners, it has amazing sound quality. And it can be used in the house when we're not streamin- I like that idea. Adios-tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	116-1622_IMG.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	25834   Click image for larger version

Name:	116-1618_IMG.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	25835  

Old 09-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
book rack done, table reinstalled

hi all- built a little magazine rack out of the last of the tiger maple, and some mahogany I had laying around. works good for beverages too! And, with some strong suggestions from Jane, decided to re-use the nifty original fold-up dining table- it really is a clever design, if a littly wobbly on the one leg. I may add another somehow, later. Not sure what I'll use for the top yet- wood or formica, I suppose, or maybe melamine if it comes in a nice color. Also finally fired up my fridge on gas, since I have the cover off- made ice in about 5 hours, from warm. Phew!! I kind of took a chance when I re-installed it last winter, without ice-testing it. Still no mice- the foam sprayed into the holes around the water tank/frame did the trick. (I have no belly pan right now) I also put some metal screen in the outside shroud for the kitchen exhaust fan- when I bought this coach last summer, there were about 1/2 dozen wasp nests here and there, including up inside that fan motor area, up in the step area, up in the fridge shroud (oh geez, should probably screen that off too..)and other places too- it was dangerous for a while to even get near the thing! All critters gone, for now. -tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	116-1626_IMG.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	25891   Click image for larger version

Name:	116-1627_IMG.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	25892  

Name:	116-1628_IMG.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	25893  
Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
table top

hi- found 2' by 4' pine panels at HD that I've used for the table top- cut them down to 32" and hinged them together. They're a little "warpy" but they might work. Am starting to look around for an appropriate truck, hope to be able to get out on the road next summer. One thing at a time...-tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	116-1630_IMG.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	26325   Click image for larger version

Name:	116-1631_IMG.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	26326  

Old 09-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #115
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
[quote=tphan]howdy- today I took off the polypropylene cover that was over my rig for the last 7 months or so, keeping the pine sap and bird poo off. I have to say I see no evidence of black marks, abrasion, wearing through the aluminum, etc. It just looks like the day I put the cover on, last october. These new covers are lightweight, soft, and breatheable- yet water resistant.

Hi Tim, I've enjoyed following your progress, nice work!

Question. Is your A/S clearcoated? It appears so in the photos. Not to change the main subject of your thread, but I'm curious about the soft cover idea. I have been told sternly to NEVER put any sort of cover on my A/S, it will mar the aluminum, ruin the finish, etc. Mine is a '72 Globetrotter that has been polished. I'm unable to garage it and would love to cover it but....

What kind of cover did you use?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:50 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
clearcoat

hi- I guess it still has the clearcoat, whatever is left after 34 years- it definitely has never been polished. I used a jcwhitney polypropylene cover last winter, loosely coiled with an old rope so it wouldn't fly off in the wind we sometimes get. I know it's heresy to say here, but it not only kept the coach as clean, sap, and birdpoop-free as the day the cover went on, but there simply is no evidence of black marks, abrasion, etc. Keep in mind this "experiment" has only been 1 year, It may well be that after many years even a soft cover like this will wear through in places of continuous friction. But it hardly would seem to be the friction and abrasion of repeated polishings- just thinking outloud here. I'll keep an open mind on this if you all will- tim
Old 10-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
If its any consolation from a complete newbie who has owned her 74 31' Sovereign LandYacht for a whole week tomorrow...I only planned a paint-the-walls, put-down-a-new-floor, put-in-a-full-bed.

We are now gutting the entire thing and doing a complete rehab down to the sub-floors and placement of water and electrical lines. There was at least one fire, a possible propane leak, a definite water leak that destroyed a portion of every single 4 X 8 sheet of subfloor, and many electrical safety hazards. One of the water tanks still has water in it ( and its sat for 2 years). The condition of the appliances was marginal at best. Literally, everything BUT the kitchen sink is trashed. We will be keeping the sink.

Sorry, original purists - there's no way to keep it original without a lot of time and expense - neither of which I have. I need to be in this thing by Thanskgiving - I will be living in it until my house is complete sometime next year.

~Merry
Merry Stahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #118
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
That said, I started gutting it two days ago...wow, what a job! I am learning way more about carpentry and plumbing and electricity than I want to know! Pa did teach me how to pop rivets - but I'm still afraid of the power drill - I can't put the drill bit in by myself, yet.

Tim - your rig looks fabulous! I hope I do as good a job!

FYI - I am building a house but we have decided to stop construction due to winter concerns and to wait for my husband to come back from Saudi Arabia next May. He wants to help! I've been living with my parents...camping out in their popup in the back yard. But its coming on winter and the quarters are getting cramped with my two dogs, too...(we won't mention the shopping I've done to fill it up).

So I needed a place to live quick. We went looking at about 20 different trailers in my budget range and were completely charmed and delighted to find the Airstream. The price was right and the husband okayed a set amount of money for repairs (not that I ever listen to him, but in this case, I agreed <grin>).

Pa is a master carpenter, a board certified electrician and electronics expert, and even does a great job with plumbing. He and Mom renovated a 1910 Sears home, adding an 8 foot wrap around porch and an upstairs bathroom to a seven-gabled house and to look at it all you'd think it was original to the house!

I'm lucky to have Pa take me through this process and in return, Mom and I are his cheap summer/fall labor - sadly, we know nothing and so we're the destruction team while he does the actual electrical, plumbing and water works.

Mom and I have taken out the bedroom, the living room, most of the kitchen and part of the hallway closet...tomorrow we start on the bathroom. The sink lavatory is broken, the shower stall is cracked and bathroom is smelly with old mildew-ish and other unpleasant odors.

I'll try to keep all updated...there are some photos on the 74 Sovereign Forum, if anyone wants to look.

~ Merry
Merry Stahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
doing the right thing

hello merry- thanks for the compliment! It sounds like you have a BIG project ahead of you, but aren't you glad you have such expert help and support? It is also good that you found the bad subfloor, and decided to gut-and-restore rather than just cover it up with new carpet or something. You will have, when it is done, a virtually new Airstream, with custom touches, for a fraction of the cost of new and the satisfaction of having done it yourself. You definitely have a worthy subject for your own thread here, where you can keep everybody informed of your progress as well as documenting the work done for your own records. Start one up, post lots of pictures, and have a blast with your new hobby!! Best of luck- tim
Old 10-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #120
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Forum member Sneakinup has just plain kicked butt with what he did with how he totally redid the interior of his '72 Overlander.

Make sure and check out his member photos, and website before you map out your final course of action.

Tom
Agree with Tom, Sneakinup has done an outstanding job of redoing his aged interior. Karma goes to Sneakinup.