Old 10-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
thanks for advice!

Shari, I'll think about that, though not sure what you mean by these free-standing covers- what is that? I have to deal with winter winds here in estes park, which can get up to 100 mph, so short of an actual garage my options for shelter seem limited. Have you had the actual experience of the abrasion you talk about, and do you think that if the cover were somehow wrapped externally with a long length of rope to prevent flapping or other movement in the wind that abrasion could be negligible? I'm willing to re-think the cover idea but also interested in finding a solution to my tree-and-bird woes. What's the consensus out there? Has anybody used a cover with good results?? thanks- tim

Old 10-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
...I have to deal with winter winds here in estes park, which can get up to 100 mph,... Have you had the actual experience of the abrasion you talk about,...
I had a brainstorm after reading your reply. Along with 100 mph winds, snow load may also be an issue.

As far as the abrasion issue (stand back, here comes the brain storm), how about laying moving quilts over the top before putting on the cover and lashing it down? They would have to be fastened somehow so they won't slip: ratcheting straps maybe?

Old 10-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
that gives me an idea...

hey mt. palms, you might be onto something there. My wife works with fleece, ROLLS of it, maybe that would be a good soft layer between coach and cover!? It also doesn't absorb and hold much water, though I think the cover is water-resistant anyway. We actually don't get much snow here on the east side of the rockies, and it's very low humidity. Sunny, windy winters are more the norm. hey- I once lived in my vw van in J.T. monument for a month, was a climbing nut- If only I'd had an Airstream then, I could have stayed longer! got snowed out eventually, in early december. I have great memories of the area! Still wondering if any other members have experience/advice on the cover issue- thanks: tim
Old 10-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
hey- I once lived in my vw van in J.T. monument for a month, was a climbing nut-
We locals still call it 'the Monument', but it's been a Nat'l Park for 10 years now. Doesn't seem so long.

I'm curious about covering my trailer econmically too, but we also have wind issues, so I'll be interested in other ideas as well.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
pergo flooring: which way?

hi all- one of these days will lay the flooring, but was just wondering if there was any group wisdom on the merits of laying the pergo planks lengthwise with the coach, or crosswise?? As a carpenter I'm used to laying strip flooring across the floor joists, but it's not so obvious in the old '72. Also wondering if you have to keep it 1/4 inch away from the metal doorway threshhold- would rather butt up tight to it. I hope to be on the road by next summer, if I can find a reasonable TV, and hope to start meeting some of you. thanks for any suggestions- tim
Old 10-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #34
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
A different idea...

Hi, folks,

Having a pretty original '79 Excella, a thought struck me about the merits of keeping it original and updating it with modern conveniences...

How about putting in the upgraded electronics, power control stuff, entertainment system stuff, home office equipment, and other things and HIDE it all from sight under the furniture and inside the existing cabinets?

For example, a (hardened) PC could live in the cabinet and commicate to a wireless monitor and keyboard stored in a bin under the gaucho when not in use. This monitor could also display the TV when needed.

I've been thinking a lot about this. Would anyone here say that's slightly or over-the-top nuts? (I LIKE the way my old Airstream looks and is laid out.)

Comments?

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #35
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lamar,
Right there with ya! I LIKE my 70's interior (with a few minor exceptions..like orange shag) What I am planning and doing is upgrades that don't take away from the orginality of the unit, things like a CD player, LCD television/Monitor, upgrade to fluorescent lighting in the orginal fixtures and the like. Haven't figured out if I can make, or if I want to, a Fantastic Fan work with the orginal light fixture...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #36
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Aaron,

My PO took out the front light fixture and fan and installed a Fantastic Fan. It has now stuck closed and stripped the gears in the transmission when it tried to auto-open. Somebody here said they were over-rated, but having spent a night broken down at a Flying J in warm weather, I'm seriously thinking that the rear twin needs a CEILING FAN.

One of the three POs also put in surface mount flourescents under the front end cap and behind the original fixture above the sink in the galley, but they don't seem to bother me. (They look as ancient as the trailer does now.)

The one thing this also means is that if you hide it all, you end up with a desire to make everything that shows PERFECT.

I'm lucky that my purchasing owner (other than changing it from an L-couch to a front gaucho, which left over an access plate on the street side that does nothing) also specified the parquet flooring, and it's still in fair to middling shape. It's very DARK now, but I imagine a sanding and refinish would bring it right back. (Or does that work with parquet? I wonder if the woods used are different colors or just have different surface stains?)

Other '78-79 Excellas have a rust-colored sort of shaggy carpeting, so I consider myself lucky in that department.

Regards,

Lamar
Klaatu barada nikto
Old 10-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #37
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lamar,
I had parquet flooring in mine but it was in very poor shape so out it came. Parquet can be refinished, I would use a hand sander to sand the old finish off. There were different types of parquet and many of them seem to have been made out of differing grains of wood causing the stains to be darker in some spots than others. Call Fantastic Fans about repairing your fan...I know they stand behind their products. I have heard both good and bad about them. I have a feeling the less the bells and whistles the less problems...that being said I am planning on one with all the options and one basic one...then I will have at least one fan that works...maybe.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
finally a few pics

hi- got my wife's camera working again, so will try to post a few shots of my '72, which I got in funky original condition back in july. There was significant rot in the bathroom, in the wardrobe where the PO had installed an 18-gallon residential water heater, and up front under the vista-view window. So all the bad subfloor got replaced, rear-end sag eliminated, most of the interior either sold, thrown out, or saved for pattern use later. I will build a completely new interior, and am going to modify the rear end to accomodate a queen-size bed, with toilet and shower next to it. Fabricated a new black tank, POR-15-d the entire frame, and am leaving off for now the belly pan untill I decide on a floor insulation. Will leave all the interior skin intact, just faux-painted some of the back shell where the bed will be. Floor will be cherry pergo except for sheet vinyl under bed and in bath. Will try to post pics now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	15207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Interior.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	15208  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Exterior.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	15209   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	15210  

Old 10-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
1 vent ok?

hi- time to start thinking about re-doing the waste lines, and was wondering if it was necessary to keep the 2 vents that were in there. All I will be venting is the kitchen sink and black tank, and was hoping to eliminate the vent in the rear that will now be in my bedroom, by just tying everything to the front vent. Can the black tank be vented by sharing space with the sink drain line? It seemed over-done before, I'm into simplifying and lightening things up. Or could I use something much less obtrusive as the rear vent pipe, like small diameter plastic tubing? will try to post a pic of my converter set-up, using the old fuse panel from the uni-volt. -tim
Old 10-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #40
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Tim,

I think you might want to have your tank vent and sink vent on separate outlet pipes. What if the water in the trap sloshes out when traveling?

I just took a good look at your pictures. Wow! Your trailer's body looks good. I have dents and dingles up front, and the tail end has been slid hard enough to abrade the skid pads and wrinkle up the sheet metal at the rear.

I'm thinking that your trailer doesn't have many miles on it. Body wise, I think you're pretty lucky.

Regards,

Lamar
Klaatu barada nikto
Old 10-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
sloshing out of sink

hi all- and thanks lamar for the thought, I'm not sure that sloshing all the water out of the trap and out of the sink is super-possible, but I see what you mean about the after-effects of that! I suppose one could put the sink drain-plug in while traveling. I think they make something called a "ventless" vent, some contraption that allows for burping without needing the exterior release- have any of you tried that, either in your coach or house? Just trying to keep everything minimal and simple, but not filling the coach with odors. I'll try again to post the pic of univolt-to-intellipower conversion. Lamar, did you have to change axles on your coaches? -tim
Old 10-19-2005, 08:44 AM   #42
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Still on original axles

Hi, Tim,

No, I have not had to replace the axles so far, but I've been keeping an eye on them. They currently have a slight downward angle with the fresh water tank full, and stuff stays where I put it when I'm towing. I was impressed that I made it home almost 300 miles from my last trip with an empty dixie cup sitting on the kitchen counter.

Lamar

Klaatu barada nikto