Old 07-29-2005, 10:36 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Unless the exterior was in near perfect condition AND I planned on keeping the unit "forever" I would not consider taking on such an aggressive overhaul.

You would be WAY better off, financially and timewise, to sell the rear bath unit and purchase a side bath unit for "customizing" if a side bath is that important.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. While I enjoy seeing other people's tricked out rigs, my ambition is to get out and get camping! Before replacing the old fridge a couple months ago, I used it as a glorified ice box. Our AC defies repair (we've got new AC repairman's number, and he's highly recommended) for the time being, so we camp in the higher elevations. The lav sink cracked less than a week before our last trip - and after posting here for advice, we patched it with 2 part epoxy to hold it together - and we enjoyed our trip. It looks like Frankensink right now, but we will prettify it later.

Some people seem to get more pleasure out of working on their rig(s) than actually taking them out, and yet other forunate few seem to be able to do both at the same time.

No matter what you do with your rig to modify or restore, just do what pleases you, and most of all, do a good job. If you don't know how to do something, like electrical or brakes, hire someone, especially if safety is an issue.

Most of the work we have had to do with ours was repairing 'improvements' done by a previous owner. The worst being that he drilled out rivets and replaced them with sheet metal screws. The one I can't figure out how to fix is removing the external window shade that never belonged on an Airstream. Removal is no problem, it's the 2 dozen screw holes he created when he attached the piano hinge above the window that can't be eliminated. The best we could do is put rivets in them to seal the holes. Or replace the exterior panel$$$$. Or live with a cheap fugly shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
...I doubt if you will have enough slope to move the grey water, much less the solids from the toilet. The tanks will still be located in the rear (unless you move them), so problems with the weight locations will still be an issue...
I don't think you have a gray tank - we don't, but I don't know what year they started installing them. Which reminds me - you will have better luck with the forums if you search for threads which address your questions, and post there if you have further questions. If you can't find exactly what you need, the post a new thread, but asking in this thread will not be nearly as productive.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Quote:
Some people seem to get more pleasure out of working on their rig(s) than actually taking them out,
Okay now, that's enough

One of these days I might just finish mine, drag it all the way out to "Yucky Valley", and park it in front of your neighbor's house (I'll say you gave me permission!)

Seriously, I have started contemplating the time invested in these things and realized that if I average 4 weeks of camping a year, it'll take about 10 years at least before I'll equal the amount of hours spent under, outside, inside doing repairs/restoration.

But it's all for the children, I say. Those great family memories that we'll have.

Sometimes we work awfully hard just to have fun.

PizzaChop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:38 AM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
I don't think you have a gray tank - we don't, but I don't know what year they started installing them.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
I don't think you took what I wrote all that seriously, but I just meant that some of us like to tinker, others just want things to work, or at least not fall like dominoes.

I love my trailer and it's charms, but somtimes, I think things like; why did our '64 Cardinal have a coax wall plug for a TV, and this beastie doesn't? I'm still trying to figure out the best spot to install one, and I would like a metal one if anyone knows where to find one. (hint hint)

RE: The 1st gray tanks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Ah. Hah.

:2¢:I recommend living without a gray tank if your trailer wasn't designed for one. :2¢:
Old 07-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I guess my opinion on leaving these coaches orginal depends on what the materials, and floor plan, and decor colors were in the first place, and I don't know about any of you but I am not too crazy about the dark colored plastic-wood panels, the carpeting, the yellow plastic bathroom, or the upholstery. I think if I had a 50's or 60's coach I would be more inclined to keep it original. We'll see how it evolves after I gut it this fall for floor inspection/ repair, but when I walk in it now I do not go - WOW, this is really beautiful and tasteful! It's more like, where's the brick fireplace? But this means having a lot of free time, a luxury I have right now. What I have done since buying it 3 weeks ago: took off all the tv antenna junk from the roof and aluminum-patched and sealed; modified and installed 3 new vent lids; re-habbed all the operable windows including new weather stripping; re-painted the airstream and international logos; installed new marker lights; stripped off all the blue tape from the rub rails; and am in the process of re-habbing the vistaview and wing windows. It's the funnest job I ever had, but doesn't pay so good! Later...tim
Old 07-31-2005, 11:51 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
I've replaced the old sun rotted curtains with new from Armbrusco - same turquoise-y color (it isn't garishly bright) and had the front sofa remade (the foam wasn't salvage-able). The Green plaid is still in the sleeping area under the windows, but that will have to wait - I'm generally asleep when I'm back there anyway and so far, no nightmares.

I like Sneakinup's paint job - I expect we will do that, and Pizza Chop also did a swell job with his bathroom (among other things). The tambour almost all needs replaced, and we will probably coordinate that with the paint job.

Aesthetically, getting rid of the 'old trailer smell' was the biggest priority.

Creature comforts come next. First the fridge (big smell issues here, like I said, I was okay with using it as an icebox), next will be new AC (or attempting to repair the Armstrong one more time), and figuring out where to put the hole for the coax so we can take our satellite dish.

My entertainment system consists of my 15" PowerBook laptop, a tv tuner, and a good set of speakers. Since space is an issue in a 23'-er, the laptop and tuner fit into a briefcase size bag.

About a year ago there was a post concerning a trailer that had been 'artistically' renovated. Click Here for Thread It sure generated a lot of opinions.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
oh that smell

yeah, the smell.. I'm hoping most of that will be gone when I strip out the old carpeting, and hopefully do only a little patching in the bathroom. Was thinking of sealing the plywood, and then maybe overlaying it all with fresh 1/4" ply. I will be deleting weight elsewhere, and will look for the lightest ply I can find. For flooring, what seems to be the concensus- more carpet or hard surface? Sheet vinyl seems to be quite popular, ease of cleaning certainly makes sense to me. Will definitely install a cable plug somewhere on the exterior to use at RV full hook-up sites with TV, maybe inside the fridge access door. Seems like a flat panel monitor would be the thing for these coaches. hey, it's only money.. tim
Old 07-31-2005, 06:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Happily, 99% of my 'smell' went with the old fridge. The carpet is in good enough shape that it's a lower priority.
Besides - during AC replacement, repainting, etc, we won't have to worry about damaging it - it will be the last thing to go.

I want to replace with carpet with carpet. I prefer to keep the dirt out pre-emptively - I use a wood stove pallet (2/3 the size of a regular one) under the doorstep, a boot brush, and rugs at the door I can shake out. I also bought one of those portable vacuums that look like a big DustBuster® with a handle and brush attachment. It works well enough during trips and takes up very little room.

Everyone has a different situation, mine is this: one couple, one dog, and we camp primarily in desert climates and in rv parks. I can see where a hard floor would be preferrable for some with more people, pets, and/or a wetter climate..
Old 07-31-2005, 07:29 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
Seriously, I have started contemplating the time invested in these things and realized that if I average 4 weeks of camping a year, it'll take about 10 years at least before I'll equal the amount of hours spent under, outside, inside doing repairs/restoration.

But it's all for the children, I say. Those great family memories that we'll have.

Oh come on PizzaChop, with your family, if you do the math and amortize it per child, you should break even in about two vacations, three max!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
side mini-bath?

hi- since last post I've ripped out the sheet of bathroom floor, made a new black water tank pan, put new 0-rings in the dump valve, painted that part of the frame with por-15,put in a new sheet of 3/4 cdx plywood, and bolted the heck out of the rear-shell/floor-chassis connection. No more rear end sag!!!! I slid the black tank over a little more to streetside, with the intention of turning the toilet about 100 degrees to the front, with a partition quite close to it so that the bathroom (toilet and shower only) is now next to a new queen bed at the rear of the coach. I think it's going to work, one would walk through the shower area to reach the toilet. I plan on just putting in a floor drain, with a small curb all around, and using a shower curtain for the door. Anyone successfully done something like this? -tim
Old 09-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
can I come out now??

hi all- have been spending a lot of time under the belly- and on a gravel driveway, with no creeper, it's even less fun than usual. But am having all the usual hanta-virus, head-bumping, knuckle-busting, neck-straining fun of getting rid of all the old belly pan, fiberglass, and rodent housing. I CANNOT wait untill this is over!! I'm also just now dropping the axles so I can install new shocks, brake magnets, and por-15 stuff. So the whole 27-footer is propped up on pine rounds, my floor jack digging into the soft gravel, WHEN will this be fun again? I'm just trying to get all this done before winter hits colorado, which means WIND where I live. If I ever do this again I would like: a heated, well-lit barn, with smooth cement floor; overhead hoists to get shell off; every metal-working and mechanic tool that Amazon has; and another interested streamer to help me and say it's going to be OK. Anyway, hope the rest of you are having a better time of it. We are getting a digital camera soon, will then try to post some pics of my "progress". Well, time to go crawl under again....
Old 09-29-2005, 11:28 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
I think you've got to do what makes it best for you and hope that when it comes time to sell it that someone else has similar ideas or needs to yours. I am redoing a 66 Tradewind. It has beautiful old wood veneers that I am trying to preserve. I can't say that about most of the 70s units that I have seen.
I agree with Eljay. With regards to my '64 Bambi, I was lucky in that the interior was 99% intact, in excellent shape, and it has a look that I want to keep hence my decision to keep the interior all original.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
still no camera

hi all- was hoping my wife would have received the camera she got off e-bay, but that deal is starting to smell... So no pics yet. Slid the awning rod out of the old zip-dee today, scraped off the bigger chunks of rust (especially at every awning seam for some reason, and the ends), and then used up the last of my por-15- finally! Will be like new after I polish up the hardware, fabric is in great shape. I have read somewhere in this forum that using an RV cover for an extended period of time is not reccomended, but I just ordered one from jcwhitney- polypropylene, up to 24', $135 with free ship. The reason I'm going to go ahead and cover mine up for the winter and next spring, is that she's parked on the only spot possible on my rocky mt. acre- directly under a big ponderosa pine tree. She's been there 3 months, likely 7 more, and she's getting a nice patina of pine sap, and bird "sap". I figure a cover on her would be the least amount of damage, especially considering that she just has the original finish, including patchy clear-coat. Any rubbing of the cover might just help to get some of that off!? Just had a HUGE, CLOSE lightning strike- am going to shut down- Later...
Old 10-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Be forewarned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
The reason I'm going to go ahead and cover mine up for the winter and next spring, is that she's parked on the only spot possible on my rocky mt. acre- directly under a big ponderosa pine tree.
A cover will not only abrade through the clearcoat, but also the aluminum leaving dark marks that are very difficult to remove.

In the older trailers, there was a very thin 'purer' aluminum coating which can be worn through. I would revisit your decision...what about a free standing cover? They sell them at most RV stores or even Sam's Club/Costco...would still protect, but not abrade.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote