Old 05-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi- 1st, to answer Jim and Susan- I have a re-arranged Overlander; that is, I re-built the interior to my tastes and priorities. I removed the rear bathroom (which was totally trashed anyway), re-positioned the black tank a little, turned the toilet about 80 degrees (so it now points mostly forward), and fashioned a shower area just forward of the toilet that stows beneath the new queen bed when not needed. No sink. So it's still a rear-bath config, but now it's only a 1/2 bath.
Ron- good to hear from you again! Yeah, fuel prices are putting somewhat of a damper on longer trips for the time being, but I think your plan is a good one- Keep the beautiful AS and just do shorter trips. I don't care if gas reaches $20 a gallon, I think these things will retain their value. They may just be parked more, as a get-away cabin on rustic property, or as full-time homes. They're not making the vintage ones anymore!
I originally wanted to post here today just to be the 3rd thread about 70's Overlanders- along with the '70 and '73. Cheers to you guys! -tim

Old 05-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I read through this thread a couple of months ago and I love what you did, the woodwork is fabulous.

I also posted a question to SurferStyler's thread many weeks ago, if he'll answer it we can have another 70s Overlander thread on the front page...

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #157
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
thanks, REDNAX- spring/summer has only just arrived here at 7,500', and it's what we put up with winter for: glorious, blue-sky days, but never hotter than about 90 (when it's 100 down in Denver/Boulder), usually in the 70's or 80's. If you plan on getting up this way this summer, with your rig, be sure and make campground reservations for Rocky Mt. Park, as they tend to be full all summer long. Glenwood Springs is nice, but even nicer (in my opinion) is Pagosa Springs, east of Durango about an hour. There's some great trailer camping in the Nat. Forest around town, hot springs, a river for fishing, and a great music festival on Labor Day weekend. And, it's a bit closer to Corpus Christi! Great looking Silver Streak you have- I've always loved the looks of those, with the gold-anodized accent panels. Let me know if you're planning a trip up here to Colorado, I can give you more specific suggestions. -tim
Thank you for the advice and I'll take you up on the suggestions when we begin to plan. My grandparents cabin at Nederland was my kinesthetic starting point for all of Colorado, and it's a long 1,100 miles away from Corpus Christi (from Dallas, it was just a long day as we kids slept in the back of a green & white '59 Dodge and Dad kept that V8-383 mainlining from dark to dark). YouTube - Dodge 1959 Comercial

Take care, will look forward to any additions you make to this thread!
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Ah, Nederland- we also know people with an old cabin there, and a lot of good memories. Good to know the mileage from there to C.C., as I've been thinking the past couple of years about spending some of the Colorado winter down around south Padre Island. If I divide that 1,100 miles by 12 mpg and multiply that by $4, it would currently cost about $366 in fuel for that trip- one way. 15 mpg brings it down to $293. We'll see what gas costs around next November...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #159

1969 27' Overlander
1983 34' Limited
Valley Center , California
I took my '69 out to the beach and got alot of comments. I told a few people about your trailer. Man I sure do love yours. -Kaine
Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #160
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Ah, Nederland- we also know people with an old cabin there, and a lot of good memories. Good to know the mileage from there to C.C., as I've been thinking the past couple of years about spending some of the Colorado winter down around south Padre Island. If I divide that 1,100 miles by 12 mpg and multiply that by $4, it would currently cost about $366 in fuel for that trip- one way. 15 mpg brings it down to $293. We'll see what gas costs around next November...
Corpus Christi has about 3-weeks of "winter" (temps near 40F), the Rio Grande Valley not even that, and it is another 150-miles south. The United States ends at CC, but Texas extends to the border. North Padre Island has amenities, but South Padre Island, on the Mexican border, has more tourist stuff (not to mention $2.50/diesel or gasoline).

Google Maps has the route, from E-P, CO to Donna, TX (exiting I-10 at Kerrville,TX and running TX-16 and TX-173 around San Antonio via Hondo to Pleasanton -- nice roads) at 1,243 miles.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hey Kaine- welcome to the site, do you have your own thread going? Post some pics!! And thanks to REDNAX for the specifics on getting to Padre- is fuel and such really cheaper down there? This post is also a LAST minute request to any and all in the greater Denver area to join us in Glacier Basin campground, in Rocky Mt. Nat. Park, sunday and monday nites- that's July 6 and 7. We'll also be in Moraine Park campground (also in Rocky Mt. Park) the nites of July 22 and 23. You can look for sites at Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov., or call 1-877-444-6777. We'd also like to camp at a lake for swimming sometime this summer, in this general part of Colorado- maybe Lake Granby, to the west, or just Boyd Lake down by Loveland-? or Pueblo Lake state park- anyone been there? Looks like Bozeman was a lot of fun- woohoo for you guys!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
well we had a nice time in Rocky Mt. Park, both campgrounds. Only saw one other AS, some nice folks from Texas. Had to take apart the shower valves, there was some junk in there from the installation that was preventing the rubber washer from completely sealing, resulting in dribbling. Easy enough to do, I think that was the only repair. But- did notice a rain leak from the curbside vista-view, or at least that's where it appeared inside. Went up with a ladder back at home, and did not see any obvious leak spots except a side-seam of the skin, on top, with a couple fairly wide spots, so shot some sealant in there, and waited for the next rain. Still a leak, so went up again, and sealed a few rivets holding the awning on, and re-sealed the window itself, which was pretty thoroughly caulked already, I thought. I also pulled the awning down about 6", and propped it in that position, to see if I could narrow down where the leak was coming from. This put the awning mostly over the vista view, and sure enough, no leak a couple nights ago from a big rain. So now the awning is back up, mostly above the vista view, so we'll see what happens next time. I see now how exasperating these things can be! Otherwise, all systems work great, the shower was a luxury after a hike and bike ride, and ice cream in the freezer was nice too. I see InlandRV is having somewhat of a sale on their front-window rock guards, might have to look into that if I ever want to actually pull this thing down the highway very far. No interesting pics to post- so, adios. -tim
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Leak fixed, knock on aluminum. I think it was seeping in from the small vista-view next to the door, maybe pooling there from the rolled-up awning. I added a small bead of clear sealant to the gray plastic "gasket" that fills the gap between glass and metal frame, works for now. Need to weatherstrip the entry door while weather is nice, not really looking forward to that awkward job. Would also like a little trip in the rig before winter hits, a hot spring sounds nice...
Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #164
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Leak fixed, knock on aluminum. I think it was seeping in from the small vista-view next to the door, maybe pooling there from the rolled-up awning. I added a small bead of clear sealant to the gray plastic "gasket" that fills the gap between glass and metal frame, works for now. Need to weatherstrip the entry door while weather is nice, not really looking forward to that awkward job. Would also like a little trip in the rig before winter hits, a hot spring sounds nice...
Takes 30 to 45 minutes to replace the entrance door gasket, when you use a wire wheel in an electric drill, to burnish off the last of the original gasket.

Andy
Old 10-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
OK- just got back from our 1st real trip in the coach- a 900-or so-mile tour of north-central Wyoming, and I have to report on how things went: Great!! No problems with the AS at all, all systems worked super (especially loved the hot showers after a play day), and the Suburban performed flawlessly, if a little weakly on the really steep passes. But 1st or 2nd gear had plenty of power, and overall mpg was about 13 I guess, with severe headwinds for a 1/2 day and the steep, 20-mile uphill on another. Watched the Palin-Biden "debate" in a $100k 5th wheel, which had fluted columns and crown molding throughout, not to mention the full-size side-by-side fridge and the King bed! Weighed 20k lbs.! It was nice to get back into the silver cocoon after that experience. I'll post a few pics, see if you know where they are...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120-2079_IMG.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	68888   Click image for larger version

Name:	120-2072_IMG.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	68889  

Name:	120-2066_IMG.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	68890   Click image for larger version

Name:	120-2052_IMG.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	68891  

Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I see Thermopolis, and then a scene from Close Encounters, the Devil's Tower.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Right you are- and I recommend both places. Devils Tower camping is $12 a night, or $6 with the right Federal access card (seniors, volunteers, etc) and is a very nice campground. We stayed 5 nights there. The pool pic is of Fountain of Youth RV campground near Thermopolis, with it's own huge soaking pools just seconds from your coach door- for $30 a night. The 1st pic is a free 10-day-limit camping spot next to a rest area on I-80 about 30 miles west of Laramie, and the 3rd pic is of Leigh Creek Campground (Nat. Forest) in Tensleep canyon, our favorite of the trip- right on the river, quiet, shady, and free. Wyoming has some very beautiful and interesting spots, though they seem to be scattered at quite some distance from one another unless you're up in the northwest corner. The only other silver coaches we saw on the trip were in driveways, yards, or storage areas.Here's an old Avion we saw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	120-2069_IMG.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	68912  
Old 12-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Got the skinny on Olympic rivets from Aerowood, so ordered some from OutofdoorsMart, at 31 cents a piece- they're only about 21 cents from VTS or Inland, but you have to buy 100. Also grabbed a new window latch, some more hatch gasket, and some polish/wax. They have quite a selection of stuff, and I liked their pricing. I heard gas might get to $1 before the economy gets over it's panic attack- quite an opportunity for those with the means, and time, to get back on the road a little!