Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #181
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
If you haven't replaced the shock absorbers yet, I recommend doing it during the axle change, as it will never be any easier. Give Inland a call and you'll have them before the axles arrive.

The change out is not too difficult, with the new holes probably being the biggest issue. (If you ordered them with the shockmount option, you're home free. Otherwise, you've got some cutting and welding to do.)

You'll be happy with your new axles and so will your Overlander.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #182
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Hi Ron- your fotos of the change-out were very helpful, now I know what sort of hole mis-alignment to expect. Will try to ream that out with a "burr", I guess. That what you did? I do have new shocks, and did get shock mounts on the new axles, so should have a cushy ride when all done. Thanks again for the helpful fotos- your installation looks sweet! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Pogosa Springs

Hey Tim you mentioned Pogosa Springs on an earlier thread. Any particular campgrounds or spots you recommend? Am looking at a trip to south Colorado and thought of Durango. Haven't yet brought my 72 Tradewind up through the mountains yet so want to step into it easy.

Richard
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi Richard- just now saw your post, short answer is Williams Reservoir, north of Pagosa about 25 miles. I'll PM you with more info.-tim
Old 06-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #185
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Durango Alpen Rose

If you make it over to Durango, about 60 miles from Pagosa Springs the Alpen Rose (yes that is the correct spelling) is a very nice RV park just north of Durango. We just got back from a 2 week stay there. The drive up through Pagosa Springs from hwy 40 is beautiful but you will have some long climbs up the mountain. I came down that way which was not bad. I went up to Durango through Albuquerque. Not a bad pull on Hwy 550.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Well I got one new axle in today, it fit perfectly but I had to drill all new holes for the bolts. Aerowood loaned me a rad bit, like a super-sharp and rugged hole-saw for steel, so drilling them was no problem. The hardest part, for me anyways, was trying to jack the thing up level, since the torsion arm and drum wants to spin the whole thing out of whack. 1 friend and 4 different jacks later, I'm ready for the other one. I had Dexter weld on shock mounts, which didn't seem to cost much extra. Now- what to do with the old axles?? Re-cycle? Craigslist? Any other ideas?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I'm glad the Blair cutter is working out for you. They really do work good don't they? Alas I'm still up in British Columbia. On another note I ran into a guy that I worked with in Churchill Manitoba 10 years ago. Small world in the avaition community, we threw a few back at Hot Tommy's in Abbottsford tonight.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #188
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
One forum member told me that he took his to the local metal recyling center. I've wondered about the same thing.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #189
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
. Now- what to do with the old axles?? Re-cycle? Craigslist? Any other ideas?
Folks will buy those axles for building small trailers to haul lawn mowers, etc.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
OK, done except for wiring the brakes. What I learned: 1) since the axles are quite tippy, it works well to jack them up into place with the jack under the mounting bracket, a little behind the axle tube, to account for the weight of the torsion arm and drum. 2) the #10 Dexters have the same tube dimensions as the old Henschens, so they fit up into the fish-plate cut-out perfectly. I'm told the #11 Dexters are bigger, and will not fit without some torch-cutting. 3) I had to re-drill all the mounting holes, no huge deal but apparently not as easy as Henschens. 4) The configuration and spacing of the torsion arm, with shock mount bracket, is a little further away from the frame than originally, so the shock absorber is not as parallel to the frame as before. It's cocked slightly, should still work just fine and not cause any problems that I can see. 5) These EZ-lube hubs alone make it worth putting in new axles- no more disassembly and knuckle-busting to re-pack the bearings! 6) Thanks to Luke's Maintenance, in Fort Collins, for advice and ordering help, and Redneck Trailer in Dacono, Colorado, the Dexter dealer I got them from.
I am SO sick of crawling around under my trailer, would rather camp in it. No pictures, you've all seen axle pics before. If anyone wants details, measurements, etc., I'd be glad to share. About 8 hours of fairly laborious work, now ready for another 30 years I hope. -tim
ps- thanks for tips on getting rid of old ones, will try to sell 1st on Craigslist or similar, then try the scrap-iron route.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Looks Great! Nice rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
howdy- today I took off the polypropylene cover that was over my rig for the last 7 months or so, keeping the pine sap and bird poo off. I have to say I see no evidence of black marks, abrasion, wearing through the aluminum, etc. It just looks like the day I put the cover on, last october. These new covers are lightweight, soft, and breatheable- yet water resistant. So I'll post a couple pics of her, and one showing the under-gaucho bin doors. Still wondering what kind of stereo to install, a car stereo or a 110-v boombox/mini console thing? The mini-boombox could be used in the house, or elsewhere, when the coach is not being used. Any ideas out there? thanks- tim
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #192
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Well, Airbassador had it right: I posted the 2 old axles on Craigslist (for $50) the morning after getting them out, and the 1st call came 4 minutes later. Within a couple hours 4 people said they wanted them. The buyer was going to make an ATV trailer with one of them, and gushed at the great deal he was getting. I was glad to get rid of them and see them being used again. Good deal for all- tim
Old 08-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
still waiting to try out the new axles....zzzzzzzzzzz......But, on the other hand, the Suburban gets pretty good mileage just sitting in the driveway........... finally cleaned out the sand/dust around the window gaskets from the Spring Resto Rally in Albuquerque, and Armor-all'ed the gaskets. Let's go somewhere!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #194
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
OK- went somewhere finally, to some favorite parts of Wyoming. Took the cat (she hated the driving part but really liked the camping/tree-climbing/wandering around the campground part), and had 2 weeks of great weather and great campsites. The venues: Vedauwoo, Saratoga, Lander (Sinks canyon), Thermop, Tensleep, Medicine Lodge, and Cody. Met some fun folks and had a great time, with no problems with the AS except for leaving home with the dump valve open and the outlet cap on tight: going up an incline, the small amount of wastewater in the black tank (I thought it was empty) backed up out of the shower drain, luckily just soaking our rug rather than getting all over the place. Lesson learned! Here's a few pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wyoming 2009 027.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	87608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wyoming 2009 031.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	87609  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wyoming 2009 044.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	87610  
Old 04-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
howdy- getting ready to move the rig down to Longmont, which is 3,000' lower in elevation than here in Estes. I'll have plenty of flat space for the AS, and my wife will finally have her gardens, orchard, and chickens. It will be easier to start/end AS trips living here, as we're only about 10 miles from I-25.
On another note, I had a relatively minor stroke the day before my birthday, back in November- and can not advise doing that shortly before closing on a fixer-upper house that needs tons of work. Poor planning on my part!
I hope to see some of you up in Wyoming this season- there's some great camping spots scattered around an otherwise quite desolate state. PM me for some of my favorites. -tim
Old 04-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #196
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Tim,
What an excellent thread you have built! Thanks for all the pictures (once you got your camera) and the invaluable information you shared with us.

I'm very sorry to hear of your stroke. Hopefully your doctor was able to move things around and re-plumb your inner workings as skillfully as you did to your AS, so that you will have tons more time to enjoy your job.

Two questions: did you ever put the belly pan back on, and where do you shave, the kitchen sink?

Cheers,
Aage
Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Aage- thanks for the kind words. The resto was a labor of love, and we do indeed hope to use her a lot in the future. No belly pan yet, and haven't yet seen the necessity of having one. Wife and I use the kitchen sink for the usual grooming chores, don't spend a lot of time in the bathroom so didn't see the need for a large, gadget-laden space there. But we're all different, and our restos reflect that I guess.
My stroke effects are luckily only some numbness in part of 1 hand, and part of my face. Not sure if things will ever get re-wired to the point of all that going completely away, but just glad I can still walk, talk, and live my life. Cheers back at ya- tim
Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #198
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Tim, I hope you will be OK. So let me get this straight, are you moving to Longmont, or just your AS is moving to Longmont?

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #199
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi Kip- good to see you here. I am doing "OK", just another battle scar. We are moving down to Longmont- we closed on it a few days after I got out of Swedish Hospital, and I "faked it" at closing by not saying much and signing all the papers with my other hand- didn't want to screw up our loan, which was a pain to get. It will be nice to have plenty of flat space for the AS, with no covenants against that sort of thing. How're you doing? Your rig getting trimmed out inside? -tim
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #200
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Jackson Lake State Park

Anyone been here? Thinking of going later this month for my wife's birthday, as we like swimming and paddling when it's hot. It is near Ft. Morgan in eastern Colorado. Any other info on good swimming holes in the area, with camping nearby, would be great! -tim