Old 04-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Ottoman empire

Here is the stool/ottoman thing. I think it would easily hold sheets and pillows for the gaucho, or maybe shoes, or a sack of potatoes, ? I have put off re-insulating underneath the floor for about as long as possible, so that's up near the top of the list now. It sounds like foil/bubble is the re-do of choice, so that's what it will be I guess. I'm starting to think that $60k for a new AS is cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	118-1820_IMG.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	36456  

Old 06-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Suburban living

hi all- well after at least 6 months of getting some excellent advice from a couple experienced, wise, and helpful members, and spending many hours perusing Ebay, Craigslist, Autotrader, the Denver Post, the classifieds here, and other local papers, I found the Tow Vehicle Of My Dreams- I hope! Today I bought, from a private seller, a '99 Suburban 2500, 4wd, 350 engine, and 4.10 differential. It drove beautifully on the way home, though the $30 worth of gas I put in it didn't move the needle near as much as in my mini-van. Anyway- one big step towards actually joining the world of airstream travellers, and I'm looking forward to it! Next up- getting a brake controller for it. I guess I'm leaning towards a Jordan, because of good reports here, how's that sound? We'll be camping up in Moraine Park campgrounds, in Rocky mt. park the nites of July 23 and 24, for my wife's birthday and for the maiden voyage- wooooooo hooooooooooo!! Anyone else? -tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	118-1841_IMG.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	38870  

Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Congrats!! Wish we were camping up there somewhere-I get to go camping for my birthday too- and with any luck, my awning will be done (my birthday present)- by next weekend.

Happy Birthday to your wife, hope your maiden voyage is a good one (and there aren't too many... oh, I won't jinx it)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #130
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
I appreciate Mark's vintage enthusiasm, but here's my opinion. I love my 73 Airstream and the vintage look. No plans to modify it in the forseeable future.

That being said, and if you have good taste (as if that's possible to quantify!! or qualify . . . ; ) ) go ahead and do it your way.

It's the exterior that makes it an Airstream and it's damn fun to work on these and make them your own. Save the parts for another purist and put them on the web.

My all time favorite Airstream I've seen is the 2006 75th anniversary edition. I say go for it and top that one.

Cheers,

Jim
Former full-timer (2007-2009). Visit my Airstream tribute blog.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
prodigy

well, went with a Tekonsha "Prodigy" brake controller, and after a bit of searching around found the leads coming from the back of the burb. Waiting for a drop shank for the EQ hitch to get the ball a bit lower, then it'll be time to test the whole rig- it's been 2 years to get to this point! Found some new "repro" lenses for the taillights too, from taillightking.com. Good guy, huge selection of old and new lenses. I have to say it's been a blast, this journey of fixing things, finding things, and making things- and nice to see the old trailer be given a second life. Now for the traveling and meeting other AS enthusiasts around the country! 1st trip in 2 weeks, all of 5 miles away. Any sage advice for the very first trip? -tim
Old 07-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
It's been fun watching your progress, Tim. You've done a great job. As for the Prodigy, we love ours. The combo of the Prodigy and Equalizer Hitch really makes for stress-free towing.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Foiled!

hi all- finally got the foil/bubble insulation installed, was putting it off for absolutely as long as possible because I'm sick to death of crawling around underneath this thing! I used spacers most everywhere, and held it up there with staples and that shiny hvac aluminum tape. No belly pan yet, any of you had any luck or experience with leaving yours off? So, just about ready for the big day on Sunday, when I pull it out of my driveway for the 1st time in almost exactly 2 years, to go all of 5 miles away for 2 nites. Guess you have to start somewhere!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	118-1886_IMG.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	41518   Click image for larger version

Name:	118-1887_IMG.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	41519  

Old 07-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #134
3 Rivet Member

Are you Tired Yet?

Congrats on the great job your doing with your Overlander. I also own a 72 Overlander and have really enjoyed your posts.

I'm at my wits end searching for tires to replace my elder Chinese ones. I noticed that a few treads in the center of the tires are raising up higher than surrounding tread, and it's not wear that's doing it. I think it's time to replace these.

What wheels and tires are you runing?? Every where I search there's only bad and worse news on brands, fit, and reliability. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
hi all- finally got the foil/bubble insulation installed, was putting it off for absolutely as long as possible because I'm sick to death of crawling around underneath this thing! I used spacers most everywhere, and held it up there with staples and that shiny hvac aluminum tape. No belly pan yet, any of you had any luck or experience with leaving yours off? So, just about ready for the big day on Sunday, when I pull it out of my driveway for the 1st time in almost exactly 2 years, to go all of 5 miles away for 2 nites. Guess you have to start somewhere!
You have done an outstanding job on your trailer. It's great to see what patience, commitment to a plan, and hard work will accomplish in what overall is a relatively short period of time. Camping in that puppy will be that much more enjoyable knowing that you made it what it is. When folks who see it realize that it is a reflection (pun intended) of your efforts it will drive home again and again for you how neat it is that you made it what it is.

I have not replaced the belly pan on my Flying Cloud. It's stored either in my shop or under a cover with gravel underneath during the ugly months and in spring, summer, fall spends a chunk of time on the grass out in my back where I can go at a moments notice (read that a yawn) and test drive the foam. I have noticed no difference towing without it and there has been zero deterioration of the floor (painted with black odorless waterproofing paint) and the same with the frame. My trailer is shorter, narrower and lighter than yours so you may see a difference towing without a belly pan but I'd be surprised if you did. There are a bazillion (wow, that is a lot isn't it?) SOB's out there without belly pans and they tow fine - well, okay, they tow as fine as an SOB can tow. I will put a belly pan on it sometime in the future but only once I've moved my waste tanks to below the floor - and the belly pan will only be there to provide some level of protection for the tanks. I may instead just coat the heck out of the tanks with the heavy duty foam insulation which I'd then paint silver so it's less obvious under the trailer and forget the belly pan completely.

If I were to learn that there is proof that having a belly pan installed would improve gas mileage by a couple of miles per gallon or make the trailer even more stable than it is now (hard to believe it could get any better than it already is) then I would put one on. Otherwise it's just weight in my mind. It just occurred to me that if I find out my buddy with the twin trailer to mine is going to put his belly pan back on and it will make his trailer look nicer than mine then I may end up having to put two under mine just so his doesn't look better

Barry
Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It's that time of year again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
Am thinking about going down to Creede for a vintage rally the weekend of Aug. 12-
The RMVAC Rally is a lot closer to home this year...it's in Breckenridge.

The Public Open House is Saturday afternoon, July 28th...love to have you stop by ~

BTW...your O'Lander is looking good!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi- just wanted to respond to the previous posts. 1st, thanks Airconditioner, and I'd like to see pictures of your '72 if you have some? I believe the wheels on my rig to be the original steel ones,, and the tires are what the PO put on right before I bought it: "Akuret Cargo Hiway", size 7.00-15LT, 10 ply, load range E, 80 psi. Could be wrong, but sounds Chinese to me. 2nd- thanks Barry, for the kind words and for sharing your thoughts on the belly pan issue. I was thinking the same thing, but good to hear it from someone else. It seems to me that it is exactly what you say it is- more weight, minimal effect on aerodynamics (I plan on towing at 55 mph), but certainly some protection for tanks and frame members too- so I'm going to leave it off for now and maybe put something back on when I'm sure I have no more repairs or mods to do in that space. The current arrangement is certainly vastly preferable to the previous wet and rodent-infested wad of fiberglass, with the belly pan hiding it all from view. 3rd- thanks Shari, for the heads-up on the Breckenridge rally- sounds fun, and will see if we can make it up there. One last thing- I camped up on Vail Pass, at the Shrine Pass exit that member Zepellinium mentioned, last week in my van, and it is indeed a nice, free place to overnite. It's by a small lake, there's a vault privy, and looks like enough room to get a trailer turned around. Thanks Zep! -tim
Old 07-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #138
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'd be afraid that leaving the belly pan off would allow the wind from moving down the highway in there, make the insulation flap around, and eventually, (maybe fairly quickly) work it loose. Also, what if it rains? all that crap and road debris will get all sloshed around up there. I know, a belly pan is neither air nor water "tight"...but it keeps most of the junk out of there.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #139
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
We could never get away with leaving the belly pan off down where we live. Too many critters and too much humidity. We get around 60 inches of rain a year here. I understand the Colorado climate is fairly dry, so that may not be such abig issue for you. Like others have said, I would be a little concerned about the insulation blowing off going down the road.

Just my two cents.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #140
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Belly aches

Chuck, and Jim and Susan- I hear you, those are certainly legit concerns. I tried to staple/tape the Reflectix very securely up in there, and will have to inspect it from time to time. I thought about adding chicken-wire or something similar directly over it, wired to the frame members or something, to keep it up there positively in lieu of the belly pan, but it's probably just a passing thought. I really don't know how much wind can get up in there- it is a good point. As far as rain and road crap sloshing around up there, I would think most of that would be limited to the wheel wells and immediately adjacent, as water and crap can't just jump up from the road itself. (or can it??) As for humidity and critters, I would think that an area with no fiberglass and no "floor" (belly-pan) would be very resistant to moisture build-up and critters. It seems to me that the original Airstream fiberglass-packed belly cavity, with "floor" but also plenty of small access holes for water leaking in around belt-lines, mice, and other rodents ,was the perfect recipe for rusted frame members, live and dead rodents and their nests, and the associated stink and rot of all that. I will experiment with this set-up and see how it goes- if it proves to be a disaster I'll fess up and write about it! Thanks for your input, I like to hear what others think about how Airstream did it (in the 70's) and alternative methods, both pros and cons. -tim