Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Angry Unreal Ultraleather cushion cover pricing

I'm updating my 2007 27FB. Last year I called Airstream in JC and asked about purchasing new Ultraleather cushion covers and was quoted a price of @ $2,100.00. They told me the cushion covers are made by an outside supplier and would take @ 4-5 weeks for delivery and had to be ordered through my dealer. I've held off on the upgrade but today decided to go forward with the new covers. I called my dealer and was absolutely astounded when he quoted me a price of $3,300.00!

I know all things Airstream are really expensive, but I could buy a new Italian leather sofa for that price.

My next option is to consider finding an upholsterer to do the work (I requested patterns for re-upholstering the cushions from Airstream last year. I just looked at the emailed material they sent me and realized that rather than patterns for the cushion covers the patterns they sent are for the foam that goes in the cushions. I sent another request for the cushion cover patterns - we'll see what I get.) The Online Fabric Store has the best prices I've found for purchasing the Ultraleather fabric -
https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/br...n=solid&mpp=72

Has anyone gone through an upholsterer to have this done recently and if so how much were the damages?
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Just had two cushions upgraded with firm foam at a well recommended local shop. No covers were required - unzip and replace. That was $125 cash.

Only reference is to suggest $4-8K for a boat cushion replacement. Material cost and local labor is the driver. Many folks buy a sewing machine and do the cushions themselves to save on the replacement cost.

Interested to hear what you find in your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
We recovered our dinette in our 2005 Safari last year for right at $2500—that was the wood base, new foam cushions plus covers. Also 5 valances above the windows.

This was from a local upholsterer who does a lot of RV work.

The Ultraleather itself was $116/yd for cushions (6yds) and $170/yd for the base (7 yds).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4466.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	317314

We ended up sourcing some of the Ultraleather from an automotive upholstery supplier, only because the shop doing the work wasn’t able to find what we needed. Good luck!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
One other thought, the cushions were from their Brisa collection—it’s breathable, which doesn’t seem to stick to the back of your legs in shorts. We do tend to slowly slide around when sitting on it, which I’ve heard others remark about. Our first choice for the cushions was just a shade less white, but it’d been discontinued. No big deal for us, we really like like the way it turned out.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We recently had a local shop make ultra leather Brisa covers for our Eddie Bauer cushions, beefing up the foam and the stitching in the process, for $3200.
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
You might want to call Ultimate Airstream in Clackamas, OR. They offered entire cushion sets for sale at the International Rally in Salem a few weeks ago. The cushions, mostly new, come from new Airstream that they are uplifting or modifying.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
What price are you looking for?

You were very clear what you thought was out of line, but did not state what you were hoping or dreaming to spend?

Or, get a sewing machine and sew to your hearts content. I know what time my wife spends sewing and making things right. It is not as easy as the shows on TV make it appear.

So more of what your expectations are might help direct you to where or what company is best suited to help you.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Thank you, I hadn't thought about contacting Ultimate Airstreams about cushions they have replaced. I called them last year after I spoke with JC and they sent me a copy of their catalog. At that time they were dramatically more expensive than JC ($3,300.00 for just the covers versus @$2,100.00 from JC) but now they both charge the same for the covers but the Airstream parts guy quoted me $4,400.00 for both the cushions and covers today. Of course the Ultimate Airstreams pricing was as of October of last year so it may have jumped up as well.

I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
I think it's kind of like replacing certain parts on a car -- if you were building a vehicle from scratch it would cost you dearly, for sure! I was shocked to find out the price of just one cushion I needed replaced when I ruined it trying to remove a pen mark. This is truly an expensive habit!!
mpbiagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #10

1967 17' Caravel
Candler , North Carolina
Try an upholstery school or class for upholstery at local college. I had cushion sewn for $40 plus cost of material. They also can usually get material cheaper. This was not with new foam.
SandraClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Affordable Ultra-Leather

You might consider choosing a local shop that will sew new covers and allow you to bring your own material. Sites like www.totofabrics.com abound and are much cheaper than the "full UL catalog" internet retailers.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraClark View Post
Try an upholstery school or class for upholstery at local college. I had cushion sewn for $40 plus cost of material. They also can usually get material cheaper. This was not with new foam.
Very good idea here! Applause!

Even if you want to do it yourself, find a course and take it yourself first. The work you put in, and the finished product will be so much better - and will last a lot longer.
I plan to take another course soon. Partly refresher, partly learning new techniques. Getting the cushion inside of a sausage tight cover without having to hand sew the last long seam is a skill with many variations - Marine D.I. language is included in some.

I am almost 70 and I started sewing at 3 - when mom caught me trying to use her machine and decided it would be safer to teach me the right way to do things. Great background, but I still learn something new every time I watch a show on PBS or YouTube video.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Many thanks!

Silverwind - I just purchased a complete set of the Oyster Ultraleather (covers & foam) for my 27FB from Ultimate Airstreams - thanks again for the tip, much appreciated! (I tried to upload photos but the Airforums system leaves a lot to be desired - kept receiving a timeout error message.)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
BTW, the price of the complete set was less than it would have cost me for just the Ultraleather fabric. The issue with Toto Fabrics (I've ordered Ultraleather from them before) is they typically only sell remnants - you'll be lucky to get more than a couple of yards and they have very few options. The Online Fabric Store carries almost the entire line of Ultraleather fabrics (179 all together) and their prices are the best I've found anywhere online - they start at $64.50/yard (with a discount depending on the amount of fabric ordered) and the most expensive starting at $71.05/yard (with similar quantity discounts).
Old 07-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We had the couch and arm rests reupholstered with the Brisa Ulta Leather at Timeless Travel Trailers in Denver in February. The cost was $3700, but the work was excellent and the Brisa is really comfortable to sit on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	317384  
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
BTW, the price of the complete set was less than it would have cost me for just the Ultraleather fabric. The issue with Toto Fabrics (I've ordered Ultraleather from them before) is they typically only sell remnants - you'll be lucky to get more than a couple of yards and they have very few options. The Online Fabric Store carries almost the entire line of Ultraleather fabrics (179 all together) and their prices are the best I've found anywhere online - they start at $64.50/yard (with a discount depending on the amount of fabric ordered) and the most expensive starting at $71.05/yard (with similar quantity discounts).
I'm glad I stumbled upon this in the sidebar and decided to read through it, as I am hoping to get new cushions/covers for my AS. I wasn't even aware of Ultimate Airstreams even though live right next door to them (relatively). I can only hope I am as lucky as you, but I am guessing they do more projects on larger trailers than the one I have.

Did you reach out to them via their web form, email to the info address or telephone?

edit: Never mind, I had submitted a webform and heard back almost shockingly quick. I am not as lucky to find any take outs though.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
I'm updating my 2007 27FB. Last year I called Airstream in JC and asked about purchasing new Ultraleather cushion covers and was quoted a price of @ $2,100.00. They told me the cushion covers are made by an outside supplier and would take @ 4-5 weeks for delivery and had to be ordered through my dealer. I've held off on the upgrade but today decided to go forward with the new covers. I called my dealer and was absolutely astounded when he quoted me a price of $3,300.00!

I know all things Airstream are really expensive, but I could buy a new Italian leather sofa for that price.

My next option is to consider finding an upholsterer to do the work (I requested patterns for re-upholstering the cushions from Airstream last year. I just looked at the emailed material they sent me and realized that rather than patterns for the cushion covers the patterns they sent are for the foam that goes in the cushions. I sent another request for the cushion cover patterns - we'll see what I get.) The Online Fabric Store has the best prices I've found for purchasing the Ultraleather fabric -
https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/br...n=solid&mpp=72

Has anyone gone through an upholsterer to have this done recently and if so how much were the damages?
There are many grades of Ultraleather, designed for many applications under the major commercial/residential headings. For example, some are less susceptible to abrasion, while others are more or less impervious to stains.

A good first step to your project, Andy, might be to go to the Ultraleather web site where you'll find technical specs for their products. You'll also be able to order swatches of the grades/colors that catch your fancy. That's a very important step, as both computer monitors' and sample books' colors can vary wildly from what has been cut from an actual bolt. I recommend getting the largest swatches available, as it can be hard to imagine what your interior will look like when you introduce a sea of aubergine Ultraleather! And larger swatches will give you a sense of how heavy the fabric is, and how it drapes, both factors in how easy the fabric will be to "work," which in turn can affect the labor price of your new cushions.

FWIW, we didn't have much luck in finding a good reupholsterer in the Phila Metro Area in the current era of cheap upholstered furniture. However, an automotive interiors shop, preferably one that does restorations of classic autos, should be capable of doing your new cushion covers, using the old covers as cutting patterns.

Good luck with your project!

the retired architect's wife
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
I've perused the Ultraleather web site over the past year and have reviewed all of the tech specs for the various classes of Ultraleather. I ordered 11 swatches from the Online Fabric Store (including the Light Oyster). Each swatch (they are 6" x 5") has a tag attached that lists the general specs.
I was leaning toward the Chamois color but when I found the Oyster set at Ultimate Airstreams I went with it. There is no way anyone could touch their price and since they are brand new sets taken out of new Airstream trailers, they should be a perfect fit.
When I spoke with Ian at Ultimate Airstreams he said the 25FB and 27FB models are the most popular ones for retrofits.
Now I'm just waiting for the Infinity woven vinyl samples so I can move on to updating the flooring, which should be a much simpler process.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
If you do end up going the reupholstery route, check out the Online Fabric Store. Their Ultraleather prices are most likely the lowest you will find anywhere. When I searched again yesterday, the typical prices ranged from $116.00/yard to @ $143.00/yard whereas the OFS's prices ranged from $64.50/yard to 71.05/yard - lower per yard for more fabric.

https://www.onlinefabricstore.net
Old 07-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I have a 2017 International Serenity with what Airstream calls "Salsa" (sort of brick red) Ultraleather upholstery. Now I'd like to sew some matching accessories. Does anybody know what the Ultraleather color number/name is for this fabric? Unless I missed it, I don't see "Salsa" in their catalog.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote