Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
1965 24' Tradewind
Deland , Florida
Time to gut '65 Tradewind

We brought home 65 TW. Luckily just had to go a couple miles home.
It had been sitting for 30 yrs at storage lot. It had split rim tires and they were flat. Aired them up and off we went. Got her real cheap with no title.
Missing one window and air vent. She has some water damage.
For the price if I can't get title she will make nice pool house or hangout for my 11 yr old son.
In the past 30 days after work we have
Pressure washed her off.
Ripped out 2 layers of carpet and pad
Scraped up 2 layers of peel and stick tile. Few areas also still had original terrazzo type stick tile. ( just big screw driver and shoved under)
Pulled out fridge(rusty on back unsure if reuse and stove possible replace cooktop
Pulled down over head cabinets (most rotted bottoms)
Pulled out sink and cabinet (sink salvageable )
Pulled out dividing walls (will rebuild)
Pulled out front existing font area of wood (seating area of some kind)
Pulled out all other remnants of cabinets
Ripped outer layer of vinyl textured wall paper
Wet down and scraped left over paper portions of wall paper with scraper and fingers
(Fingertips sore)

Attempted soda blasting interior (not gonna be worth the cost) time consuming, very messy it looked like snow in Florida....50#s just did 2 small areas.
Researched on-line not a whole lot of info
Maybe with expensive blaster it would use less.

Decided I want shiny interior aluminum
Had a few coats of latex paint and that lovely stubborn zolatone
Tried Jasco stripper first ok
Then aircraft stripper better
About 2 coats removed latex just bubbles and lifts right off with plastic scrapper
When you get to zolatone forget the plastic scraper had to use metal scraper (the good ones with hooked end. The cheap ones and rasor blades will scratch aluminum but, the good one doesn't. Tried covering with plastic wrap really no difference. The temperature here in Fl is good spending hour or two around 5pm after work almost every night. Have the front end and one side except ceiling area 90% done. Tried scotch green pads for remaining residue. Acetone with rag wrapped in scotch pad is best to remove.
Stripper is nasty stuff have bucket of water for any splashes from it to rinse off immediately.
Starting ceiling area tried spray can stripper just doesn't go on as we'll and doesn't work as well.
Just brush on and stand away from drips. Luckily we are replacing floor so it can't hurt that. Hard to get the scraping strength for me on the ceiling.
I try to take pics every couple days for progress.
I think for a month of spare time I am making some good progress.
Any suggests I'm open to them. It is a learning process

Dustbunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Ft Myers , Florida
Can't believe you haven't received dozens of replies. I rehabbed our '77 Tradewind between March and November, 2010. Once gutted, and knowing how much work I had ahead, I just found a good cleaner (TSP) a good primer and followed up with paint on the interior walls. Can't imagine trying to strip that stuff. Have you tried a rotary tool? Would enjoy pictures if you want to post. Good Luck.

Mike & Laurel
Ft. Myers, FL
1977 Airstream Tradewind
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
if you had a friend in GA you could get a title...
'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote