Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
Columbia , Illinois
Thoughts on removing bathroom on '78 Safari

So I am bringing home my AS on Friday and its is rough especially in the area of the bathroom. I am considering scrapping the bath altogether and making that space a bed area for my daughter with storage underneath the bed. We are state park and private campground kind of people anyway so I am not concerned with the loss of the bath. Two things to ponder...

- has anyone done this before or have any ideas
- should I leave plumbing and tanks in place for future rehab or owner or just gut and remove..

thanks for the input and suggestions
crane422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
At some point you'll probably want to sell that trailer, and get another. How would it sell without a bathroom?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Is it just the "bath" part of the room you would eliminate?

Having no convenient relief area would be a definite negative for us OFrt's.

Bob
Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
As we slowly reimagined the rear bath (in between camping trips) in our 1971 Tradewind after gutting it to repair some rear end separation, we become pretty appreciative of the advantages of facilities in the Airstream.

For short camping trips, just being able to pee in the middle of the night w/o getting dressed to traverse the campground, playa, etc. was a definite win. For longer trips, having a shower readily at hand is really nice; there are a lot of older national parks w/o showers in many of the campgrounds.

Fixing the rear end separation basically stripped the bathroom down to the bare walls... After epoxying and painting the repaired floor, we replaced the old toilet & blackwater tank w/ a composting toilet. We took out the bathroom closet, replaced the Univolt and moved it into the base of the new dinette that replaced the rear gaucho. This gave Webspinner (Barbie) enough room to build a separate shower (curved white shower pan laminated from wood and epoxy to fit), w/ a custom vanity in birch and aluminum. The bathroom is now a pleasure to use; for really tall people it's probably a bit low but that's life w/ rear baths.

I'd definitely carefully consider your use cases and how they may change.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
What if you created a bunk bed for her instead? Maybe one that flips out of the way when you aren't using it.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote