Old 04-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1995 34' Excella
Bellbrook , Ohio
Starting to remodel 1995 34' interior. Ideas?

I am now trying to get the Excella ready for summer camping. We just purchased it last fall. It was owned by an older couple who had put care and money into it at some point, but then it sat in a storage lot for years until being sold to settle their estate. I have started to remove the padded ceiling, as it was already hanging down too much to try to save by using buttons, etc. My dad is retired and has volunteered to remove it (I don't know why, doesn't look like fun), by using Citristrip and a plastic putty knife. I have also removed the china cabinet (currently for sale) and another cabinet, to make room for bunk beds. I have read through plenty of posts on here to find ideas for how to finish the ceiling; leave it bare, paint, vinyl, etc. Wondering if anybody has had any new ideas or found something that works good for the ceiling?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6403.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	236037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8757[1].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	236038  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8758[1].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	236039  

1995 34' Excella, front kitchen, queen bed, 150 watt solar, Trace inverter, Hensley Arrow hitch

2003 E450, 7.3 PSD, retired ambulance fitted with a stretched extended body from a '98 E350
mrdually350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If it were I doing the ceiling stripping (and I'm really glad it's not), I would try to find the textured paint that Airstream used to use on the interior, Zolotone?....that stuff was really tuff, looked good and lasted forever.

But, I know it's just personal opinion I don't like the bare aluminum look in the interior.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Search around - I started a thread on the same thing. I've been removing ours in sections as I get time and willpower to work on it. I've been using Goo Gone, but what you're using is probably similar. Wear a mask - you start inhaling the dust from that stuff...

I also got a heat gun recently but haven't had the chance to try it. (Well. I did try it, but it wasn't doing any good, probably because it was so cold outside. I want to try it again now that the weather is warmer.)

It just takes time and elbow grease... And you have to be careful because it's easy to scratch the aluminum with even the rough side of a kitchen sponge... I usually use paper towels to work it.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote