ID:	195424
2 views of the light

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1757.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	195425
It actually looks better than it looks here when you see the entire trailer

I am pretty sure I saw another trailer with lights done this way but If I remember correctly they were beehive lights.
tim

Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Maybe mine

Tim, I did that on the Florida Bubble I am working on. The corrosion was so bad around the old steel light bases that the aluminum cratered as I polished. I put bases on like that....and on one I made a Texas patch type base and mounted the light base on it. I will take a picture and send to you here.
Still going to get the type tire info to you. I forgot the brand. It is China made I'm sure.....but they last and last.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
Patience is a virtue Shelly, one that I admit I dont have either
Attachment 195422
I always use too much Trempro

Attachment 195423
Cleaned up and ready for the light

Attachment 195424
2 views of the light

Attachment 195425
It actually looks better than it looks here when you see the entire trailer

I am pretty sure I saw another trailer with lights done this way but If I remember correctly they were beehive lights.
tim
Ohh. Me like. Nice.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #102
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Ohh. Me like. Nice.
Me too!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Thanks everyone for your comments. Its been a fairly productive Sunday. Jen and I worked on the rear curve of the belly pan first thing this morning. Added a few additional rivets to smooth things out and got the street side looking pretty good. Curb side later this week.
The glass finally arrived, took a little extra time since I ordered tempered for the escape hatch rear window. I actually ordered 3/16 glass for both windows I was doing this week since the escape hatch seemed a little wobbly to me with 1/8. It fit beautifully. Used the 1/4 inch butyl and new screws, both from VTS and everything went together beautifully. Very solid and much less flexible.
Also rebuilt and reinstalled the non opening window forward of the door, used non tempered 3/16 for this since it actually has to be formed into a very slight curve as it is installed. It always amazes me that a material that breaks so easily also has the ability to bend and flow when worked carefully.
Finally, I reinstalled the rear access hatch that was removed when the rear panel was replaced. I still plan to insulate when I order prodex but that is doable in place. I ordered 3 locks from VTS keyed alike so I have more for future projects.
2 weeks till launch date, think happy thoughts
tim
Old 09-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Ongoing projects for this week include getting the trailer lights working (the install will be somewhat temporary but legal) and repairing the Bargman H20-02 lock assembly. It finally occurred to me that a working door lock might come in handy while towing. I found a thread by BradS where he built a mount from aluminum instead of plywood as originally used. Since my plywood was completely rotted and fit badly I am going the aluminum route. Will post pics when I have some progress to brag about.
I have been mulling over a thought about the possibility of using a door lock solenoid inside the wall that throws into the door frame instead of a visible deadbolt. Really hate that look on the vintage trailers.I know some of the newer units use key less access locks and solenoids are easily available and regularly used within the custom car community but has anybody tried this in a vintage?
Whenever I get a thought like this my wife says "just let it go"
Hate to admit it but she's right more often than I am
time for dinner, smoked a pork butt all night then shredded and made into Chili Verde,
YUMMY
tim
Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Tim great idea about the solenoid activated door lock. Having used them on various hotrod projects- doors, trunks, hoods, gas caps, etc it would be a natural to install on the trailer. I am adding that to the list of "improvements" on Spoon.
BTW -a thought.. put your activation button some where inconspicuous and easily accessed. Maybe by the tanks up front, and don't forget to add one inside the cabin Thanks
Old 05-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
I cant believe its been so long since I updated this post
I never did get the trailer ready for the October launch. just couldn't seem to get everything to come together so I finally gave up, took the SOB motorhome and buttoned everything up for the winter. I did make one mistake and left the front bellypan corner on the former out in the weather, caught a huge wind storm and bent it in half. Oh well, didn't like it anyway so I guess I will just start over from scratch.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Isn't it amazing how a honey-do list just seems to grow?
Jen decided that she wanted a new kitchen. Seemed reasonable since we're job searching and may be relocating, after all the kitchen was only 60 years old. So after the usual amount of research I tear out the old kitchen (down to 130 year old log walls) and start reconstruction. Out of the blue a week before the Vintage trailer academy in Albuquerque Jen says "Lets take the trailer". So being the intelligent, loving husband that I am, I put the kitchen on hold, hid my look of panic, and said "sure why not".
What a Few days that was! Finished up several projects left over from last year making tighter and better, repacked the bearings and tested the brakes, put in about a hundred pop rivets in areas that weren't ready for bucked rivets and amazingly got it ready the night before we had to leave.
It was the classic aluminum tent with no inner skins or insulation and we had a blast!
We took the scenic route and an easy 2 day trip just in case of problems but the only issue we encountered was less than an hour from Albuquerque when the door finally popped open due to the fine New Mexico road surfaces and broke the curbside window. No other major damage to the side of the trailer (I was going to reseal and reglaze the window anyway)But without a good place to pull over and secure the door Jen jumped into the trailer and held the door shut till the next freeway exit
Got a real laugh out of everyone when we told that story on arrival
Had a great weekend at the vintage trailer Academy- thanks again Ken, and made it home without further incidents. 1500 mile round trip maiden voyage with only the one mishap. all in all a pretty successful launch.
now I gotta get back to the kitchen.....
tim
Old 10-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Again, I can't believe it has been so long since I posted here.
Not much got done last year on the cloud between working on the kitchen (and the new bathroom jen added to the list) and then I took a pretty bad fall at work. Laid up for 5 months waiting for the leg to heal then looking for a new job. Finally got back at it in august in preparation for a family trip to Utahs big 5 national parks in oct. Unfortunately the trip got put on hold since my brother lost his house in the huge "valley fire" that hit californias' wine country last month, he did save his 65 airstream and 65 chevy truck, literally drove them out through the flames, but his was probably the first house burned ( the fire started less than 1/4 mile from his property)
Still working on perfecting the exterior shell ( I am apparently more OCD than I used to think I was) got all the windows repaired/ replaced, new seals (still need to pull and reseal 3 back frames) then doubled or tripled every rivet line on the shell except for the lap seams which were already properly spaced.
max rivet spacing at this point is about 2 inches, looks pretty good. Also took the gaps out of the skin over the rib bows. Every lap seam on the shell is now backed by a C or Z profile stringer for added strength and rigidity, and all ribs and stringers are tied together with buck riveted L brackets, mostly made from recycled C channel. This thing is really strong!!
The list of things to do before starting the interior is getting shorter and shorter. Gotta get this thing water tight before the snow flies so I can work on the insulation and wiring next
Lots still to do...
tim
Old 10-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
It's not real unless there are pictures
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Glad your "back."

I wondered where you were hiding out. Now....lets get back to work. I hope your winter weather does not stop you while your on a roll. I am in the beginning phase of a polish experiment with the new polish from Vintage. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Here are the promised pics
Sorry but I can't remember how to add text to individual photos. The first 2 show how much the rib gaps tightened up, then the clecos show some of the added rivets on the curb side, front window and panel being replaced, some shots of internal bracing and rib/stringer attachments, then finally resealing the stove fan.
Jen says I'm never going to finish the shell but i am actually getting pretty close to being able to start insulation and wiring
tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101_1636.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	251233   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1646.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	251234  

Name:	101_1987.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	251235   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1993.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	251236  

Name:	101_1600.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	251237   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1651.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	251238  

Name:	101_1989.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	251239   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1991.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	251240  

Old 10-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #112
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Looks great! Nice to see you're back at it!

reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote