Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Some pics of our remodel.

We opened up the trailer this weekend and started getting ready for the first trip of the year. Thought it would be a good time to get some pics of the remodel we started last spring. Most of the trailer remained factory original, but we did make some modifications to make the kitchen more useable. In the "before2" pic, the original layout didn't really seem to serve a purpose. The countertop was way narrow and the cabinet, although large, didn't have much depth either. I also didn't like the fridge on the floor and we wanted to add a microwave and small entertainment center. The "after2" pic shows the cabinet modifications I made. The fridge is lifted up and a storage area was added underneath to keep 12 packs (my beer stash) and a microwave was added above the fridge. The corner cabinet is also new and holds a good size trash can and some other things out of the way. The front of the corner cabinet that is missing will soon house a built in DVD and AM/FM to complement the lcd tv. The "before3" pic shows the original curbside layout. I really didn't like the cooktop jutting out into the kitchen area, it seemed to confine things too much. So I built some new cabinets to hold an integrated stove/oven and a storage space underneath that holds a large cooler. The sink was moved down a few inches and I built new countertops for everything. The "before4" shows the original couch. The frame for it was pretty well shot as well as the upholstery. The after pic shows it completely rebuilt with new wood, foam and fabric (note the doors on the storage area under the cushions. I made them out of one long piece of walnut!) The "after1" pic shows the original fold out table and the cabinet to the left is the original liquor cabinet (the margarita stash).
Remodelling the kitchen and front area was probably the most enjoyable part of the remodel for me so far. So many possibilities! The only thing that was difficult was the bedroom. It's a double bed model, but the bed is not a gaucho like most of the pics I've seen of other coaches. Ours is actually set up for a 3/4 matress. It doesn't fold into a "couch", instead, it's a fixed unit which makes the walkway somewhat narrow. Did we get an oddball or does anyone else have one like this? Anyway, the exterior renovation is in full swing now. Polishing is about 1/2 way done and new axles should be in next week. Looking forward to meeting some of you this summer on a caravan! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Had trouble uploading the pics, hope they are there now! --dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	21025   Click image for larger version

Name:	After2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	21026  

Name:	Before3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	21027   Click image for larger version

Name:	After3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	21028  

Name:	Before4.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	21029   Click image for larger version

Name:	After4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	21030  

Name:	After1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	21031  
Old 05-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Looks great!!!

Don't you just love when you start working on your trailer and how all the tools end up everywhere. One day when we were working on The Peppy we had so many tools you couldn't walk in the trailer. But all the hard work yall have done looks great.

Becky
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Lookin' GOOOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamin 65
.... some pics of the remodel we started last spring. ...Looking forward to meeting some of you this summer on a caravan!

Dave:

What a change -

I can certainly appreciate all of the work it took to get there - have any idea of the hours and cost to do the interior?

The floor really stands out.

Great job!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks Becky. The before pics are from the first day we started the overhaul. Both the wife and I had tools and cleaning stuff scattered throughout the whole trailer! It's amazing how much two people can get done in a small space without being in each others way too much! --dave
Old 05-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Hey Dennis! The hours are directly related to your (and wife's) planned goals for the trailer. To date I'm probably 150 hours spent on the inside. And that's just doing the work. Planning things out (daydreaming mostly) cost another chunk of time. I started the inside remodel the first week of June last summer and was substantially completed by the second week of August. I had to start by gutting most everything, replacing some sections of the floor an building from there up. All appliances were replaced as well as all the plumbing and fixtures. The electrical system was OK- just outlets and covers were replaced. All the cabinets were either completely rebuilt or sanded and refinished. The finished flooring is all new. I'd guesstimate the cost at around $3k for everything, including mostly new appliances and all other interior finishes. If you are interested in a closer estimate, I saved all the receipts and can get you a more detailed estimate of what everything cost us if you like. Just FYI- I remodel houses for a living and have a well equiped shop and (at least some!) skills. If you are just starting a remodel or something, send some pics of what you have, I can probably get you started in the right direction and even maybe estimate what your remodel will cost. If you have some tools and a little room to work, rebuilding your coach yourself is very satisifying! --dave
Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

awesome job done

The trailer looks mint. I am in the process of putting down a laminate floor as well as putting up new Ozite wall coverings. What did you use for your headliner? Also we are missing a couch, so when we go to lay the laminate wood flooring down what did you do when you came across the battery box behind the couch for the flooring? Also I am missing the bathroom door, which looks like it was on tracking, do you know where I might be able to buy the tracking for the door as well as the door? Thanks for any help. Tracy
tracyhugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Wow! Looks great, thanks so much for the pictures. You will have many great years of fun with that layout.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Your mods look great. Nothing is quite as nice as a personalized Airstream. Enjoy the summer trips.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhugs
The trailer looks mint. I am in the process of putting down a laminate floor as well as putting up new Ozite wall coverings. What did you use for your headliner? Also we are missing a couch, so when we go to lay the laminate wood flooring down what did you do when you came across the battery box behind the couch for the flooring? Also I am missing the bathroom door, which looks like it was on tracking, do you know where I might be able to buy the tracking for the door as well as the door? Thanks for any help. Tracy
Tracy, Welcome to the forums! What model and year of Airstream do you have? That is most important to getting you info on parts availability. If you can locate the Serial Plate (to the right of the entrance door on most models) we may be able to tell you some infomation on your trailer and where it was built. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

hi, my trailer is a 1995 Excella 34' Airstream

Hi Ed,
Thanks for responding, I have a 1995 Excella 34' Airstream. I have it stored a couple of hours away from me, but will be visiting it this Memorial Day weekend. I will find out what the numbers on the serial plate are when I go and visit it. It is my and my husbands first adventure with a trailer and we are excited. It came with no couch or dinette or door to the bathroom as well as part of the wall is missing in front of the shower. We love it and want to take care of it. We are going to try to put a laminate floor down this weekend. That was another thing it didn't come with, a floor except for the sub flooring (plywood). We had a nasty storm over the winter time and one of our windows got shattered, we purchased another window and installed it ourselves which we are very proud of, considering we didn't know anything about this. That manual sure comes in handy. Been reading alot on how the water and grey water work. Read that I could use Biz laundry detergent, have you heard of this any tips for a first time user? We are excited and this web site is awesome with all the information it has available, my husband keeps asking me when am I going to get off the computer, lol, some day. Thanks and have a great Memorial Day weekend. Tracy
tracyhugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhugs
Hi Tracy! Our trailer doesn't really have a headliner, just the original vinyl-covered aluminum that is in good shape (but a PITA to keep clean). Our battery box is in the rear of the trailer under the bench seat for the toilet, so there were no problems working the flooring around it. Without seeing your problem, I'd suggest just cutting the flooring as close as recommended by the manufacturer, and covering the gaps with shoe moulding. I just milled my own 1/4" by 1/2" shoe moulding on my router table, but you should be able to buy 1/2" by 3/4" off the shelf to match your flooring . Our Bath door was an accordion (folding) door that was in real bad shape. You can find replacements here: http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...lts.asp?Cat=29 The wife ordered the new curtains from JC Penney and also ordered an extra panel that matches the curtains which we are going to use for the bath door now. Most of JCPenney's curtains fit fine right out of the box, only 2 needed hemmed up to fit exactly and their prices were real resonable. Hope this helps! --dave
Old 05-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #13
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Streamin 65--Just looked at your remodel pictures. Really great job. I was particularly interested in how you plumbed the dishwasher shown in the first photo.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi Streamin 65--Just looked at your remodel pictures. Really great job. I was particularly interested in how you plumbed the dishwasher shown in the first photo.--Frank S
The "diswasher" you can see part of in the first photo is really the original oven. It was a separate unit from the cook top and is rather large. I'd guess one could cook a Thanksgiving turkey in it! However, plumbing is a diswasher shouldn't be very difficult if you desire one. The only thing needed is a supply line which is generally tapped from the cold water already under the sink, and a drain line which will require a tee in the extention pipe just above the P trap already under the sink. --dave
Old 05-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Campbell River , British Columbia
Dave - What are you doing with the original appliances? I know there are always enthusiasts out there looking to restore their updated trailers to stock condition. I know personally, I am on the lookout for another dometic 2-way fridge. I have a '69 overlander with the original Dometic (that is still working fine) but the interior has been damaged. Ebay is an important resource to help restorers track down odds and ends for these old coaches. So be sure not to throw anything out, no matter how beat up you figure the parts are- they are worth something to someone (ie. cabinet hardware, light fixtures, appliances, etc). Take care and keep up the good work... your trailer looks great! Jeff.
fermante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermante
Dave - What are you doing with the original appliances? I know there are always enthusiasts out there looking to restore their updated trailers to stock condition. I know personally, I am on the lookout for another dometic 2-way fridge. I have a '69 overlander with the original Dometic (that is still working fine) but the interior has been damaged. Ebay is an important resource to help restorers track down odds and ends for these old coaches. So be sure not to throw anything out, no matter how beat up you figure the parts are- they are worth something to someone (ie. cabinet hardware, light fixtures, appliances, etc). Take care and keep up the good work... your trailer looks great! Jeff.
Hey Jeff, Thanks for the praise! I still have most everything I removed from the trailer except the fridge and the AC unit. Neither worked, and both were in pretty bad shape. The fridge went to a local scrap yard last week. Suprisingly, i the inside of the fridge was in good shape. I would guess the fridge is still there if there is something I can salvage for you. I still have whatever else I replaced - original oven, cooktop, HW tank, toilet, univolt and water pump. Everything else was cleaned up and reused to keep original as possible. Eventually I'll get some of those things posted on Ebay, but your right, someone, somewhere will be looking for something I have, just as I've bought some hard to find things from Ebay that someone else no longer needed! --dave
Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermante
Jeff - what model Dometic do you have. I tossed the original Dometic (M52 I think) as all the working "guts" were gone. I did save all the interior shelving and blue plastic trays/doors?
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
1995 excella parts...

Tracy, You may find some of the parts you need are still available from Airstream at Jackson Center, Ohio. Just call and talk to someone in parts. They can be very helpful. I don't know if the interior walls or door you are missing will be available from the factory but tell them anyway as they may be able to steer you to some Vendor that may be able to get you what you need. A 1995 should be easy to locate for most parts. You can also call Cherokee salvage or Colaw salvage for trailer parts. There are many trailer salvage parts places around to check with. Search under Airsteam link library and you'll find many of them listed. Some have websites some you just have to call. Hope this helps with your search for restoration parts. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Campbell River , British Columbia
Hey Dave - sorry I didn't get back to you sooner... I haven't been online in a few days. It's good to hear you're saving the old parts. Thanks anyways for your offer but it won't be necessary to go back to salvage the fridge. And Greatpumpkin, thank you to you too for your reply but my weak fridge has all the shelving intact. I appreciate the offers though... very generous of both of you. Take care, and keep the old ones on the road. Jeff.
fermante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Dive right in there!!!

Dave -

Great to read your contributions to this thread! You have that positive outlook that I sometimes lack - Fear, doubt and intertia slow me down. A LOT SOMETIMES. Working on it....

Thanks for the refreshingly positive outlook - no matter the issue you have faced so far. And the offer to assist others is really awesome.

Keep at it, and dive right in there! The water is fine!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote