Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
SMOKE! Yikes!! Help!

Hello All -

Went to the local trailer place and got a 'dog bone' to get the "new to me" trailer hooked up in the driveway for a shakedown. Plugged everything in(30amp) and for about 30 seconds everything worked. Microwave clock, radio display - then, sniff?

YIKES - acrid smoke from the NEW InteliPower 9100. Everything went off. Ran like the wind to get the 30amp disconnected. Vented everything - InteliPower stank up the joint, but NO flames - whew!

BTW - just charged up batteries and they seem to be doing fine. Interior lights and all that. No Micro clock though. ??

Now, as I am new to this - What happened. Did I fry the IP9100? Why did it do that? Where am I going wrong here? Unplugged it from the internal wall plug so nothing further should go on. What now?

Sorry for the seemingly idiotic question but the whole 120/12volt interface is like greek to me. Why do I get lights but not micro?

Thanks in advance for the tutorial!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
What 30 amp service did you plug into? Was it the dryer outlet?

Reason I ask is because of Brett G's advice in this thread.

Hope you didn't fry the converter. If it is new and previously untested by you with 120v service it could be miswired. If it had worked fine before plugging it in this time, then I'd have to wonder about what you plugged it in to. Pick up a 15 amp adapter so that you can plug in and check everything except the A/C. You can also see if the converter still smokes or was destroyed.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hello All -
Went to the local trailer place and got a 'dog bone' to get the "new to me" trailer hooked up in the driveway for a shakedown. Plugged everything in(30amp) and for about 30 seconds everything worked. Microwave clock, radio display - then, sniff?

Now, as I am new to this - What happened. Did I fry the IP9100? Why did it do that? Where am I going wrong here? Unplugged it from the internal wall plug so nothing further should go on. What now?

Sorry for the seemingly idiotic question but the whole 120/12volt interface is like greek to me. Why do I get lights but not micro?
Axel

Axel

What is a DOG BONE?

The lights are 12VDC but the micro is 120VAC. Which means you have battery but no 120VAC to the trailer.
You need to get the 30amp 120 VAC plug checked out. If you don't know what you are doing have some one who is qualified check it out.
You should pull the Intellevolt out of the trailer to test it. Simple test, plug it in and test the output voltage. (Watch for smoke)
You need to check if you installed thr 9100 with the correct polarity.
If it smoked it is probably toast.

Good Luck
Old 03-24-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
It sounds funny but...

I think I noticed in another thread that you had the batteries out to charge on a charger. Is the polarity right on the battery hookup?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
What is a DOG BONE?
A Dog Bone is the generic term for those foot long adapters. Like the one's that will take you from the round 30 amp to the standard 15 amp.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:43 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Smoke...

Smoke in electrical applications has been discussed at length and in countless threads across many forums... All electrical items run on smoke. The smoke is installed at the factory into all electrical devices and wiring. Unfortunately, once you have allowed the smoke to escape from a unit, wiring, or other electrical or electronic device, the device or wiring typically must either be returned to the factory to be recharged with smoke, or the unit must be discarded. Unfortunately, smoke cannot be reinstalled into any unit by a consumer.

Pull the Intellipower and get it to someone who can safely tell whether or not it has any smoke left in it, or if not, whether it can be safely recharged or must be discarded. Hopefully they'll be able to tell you WHY the smoke was discharged in the first place. If they can't, make sure you test the trailer's cord, and the outlet to make sure that all the smoke is still in them, and that it's the right color and density. That can typically be done using a Volt-Ohm meter to check voltage, and for continuity on the ground.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Smoke in electrical applications has been discussed at length and in countless threads across many forums... All electrical items run on smoke. The smoke is installed at the factory into all electrical devices and wiring. Unfortunately, once you have allowed the smoke to escape from a unit, wiring, or other electrical or electronic device, the device or wiring typically must either be returned to the factory to be recharged with smoke, or the unit must be discarded. Unfortunately, smoke cannot be reinstalled into any unit by a consumer.

Pull the Intellipower and get it to someone who can safely tell whether or not it has any smoke left in it, or if not, whether it can be safely recharged or must be discarded. Hopefully they'll be able to tell you WHY the smoke was discharged in the first place. If they can't, make sure you test the trailer's cord, and the outlet to make sure that all the smoke is still in them, and that it's the right color and density. That can typically be done using a Volt-Ohm meter to check voltage, and for continuity on the ground.

Roger
Now that's funny. I don't care who you are, that is funny!
To elaborate on the factory-installed smoke, what the smoke runs in your higher level electronics is called PFM technology. "Pure Freaking Magic" technology!
I learned all this in college!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
at the power company we call that the "smoke test"....

if it smokes it ain't no good!

we also call arcing and corona tracking the "bad sound"...

the "bad sound" usually leads to the "smoke test".

the worst one is "the sun coming up early" that means you are on the ground working under an overhead installation, when suddenly you can see your shadow on the ground from the unexpected arc above! usually caused by the "bad sound"!

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flash.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	11177  
Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thumbs down 50 amp adapter?

Did you maybe get a 30 amp (trailer) to 50 amp (house) adapter? The big difference, just to look at it, is the 50 amp has four prongs on it, and will, with a little effort, plug into some 220v outlets. If that is what happened, you almost certainly:
1-fried the intellivolt
2-fried the microwave
3-possibly other things that run on 110, and weren't on, and you won't know they are broken until you attempt to use them, like a TV or VCR.

Hopefully nothing major, like the A/C and heat controls, were damaged.
If you have a voltmeter, check the outlet the trailer was plugged into, you should get 110v. If you get 220v across the two large blades of the plug, you have 220, and that is not a good thing.
If that is not the case, the new adapter you bought could have been miswired when manufactured. That would cause you to have 110v to the common (ground) wire, which you should not have. Another forum member had that problem, and had to return the adapter for a replacement.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Hello all -

Heart rate back into normal range, now just nervous about even touching the rig.

Thanks for the thoughts on battery polarity - yes it is correct.

The "Smoke" thingy was funny - of course it is ALWAYS funnier when its someone else, but even I laughed.

Will pull the IP9100 and will check it on the bench. Fingers firmly crossed that there is still factory level smoke left inside the unit, har!

Will report back with any and all updates. Thanks for calming the severe palpitations. I thank you, the family thanks you!

Ciao

Axel
Old 03-25-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Hello again to all!

Since previous post, pulled the IP9100. Bench tested the juice at +/- and got normal reading - 13VDC + or -. All seems well. Took a look inside ( thru the venting strips) and notice a cylinder with black wrapping that seemed to have gotten a little cooked - black plastic looked a bit toasted.

Since the output seems to be OK, should I just remount and test in trailer?? Is there another way? Did leave it plugged in (no load) for about 2 hours. Nothing got hot, stinky, and NO flames!

Any advice on next steps from the gurus?

Planning on checking the 120 cord for continuity from the plug to the box in the trailer. Planning on doing same from box (rear) to IP9100 position (way up front). Also, will check the polarity on the dog bone, and adaptor - in the wall too if all else tests out OK. Anything else I should check?

Ciao

Axel
Old 03-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Guys -

One more thought, since I am a "think it thru first, before doing it" type. Planning on testing the water, tanks and fixtures when I get the electric/ batteries issues resolved.

There is an H20 inlet one down near the dump valves with an outlet right next to it. Looks like PO connected the inlet & outlet together. What is that for?? Why connect them?

The house/city water goes to the inlet on the rear of the coach, streetside, right?

I need to get the water filter reconnected. Instant hot water tank connections checked. Check to see that the pump is hooked up. Check to see that the plug is in the water heater. Faucets, all but foremost, closed. Under coach drains closed, or open to start?

Please correct above, add, subtract, and any and all comments appreciated.

Sigh, so much to learn the first time thru....

Ciao

Axel
Old 03-25-2005, 10:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
at the power company we call that the "smoke test"....

if it smokes it ain't no good!

we also call arcing and corona tracking the "bad sound"...

the "bad sound" usually leads to the "smoke test".

the worst one is "the sun coming up early" that means you are on the ground working under an overhead installation, when suddenly you can see your shadow on the ground from the unexpected arc above! usually caused by the "bad sound"!

john
John,
On the plant floor that is referred to as the arc-flash! The electricians now use "moon suits" to prevent them from becoming part of it!
We also refer to it as the "Big Poof" it is usually preceeded by the "Big Bang"!
Then comes the magic smoke with the grenade shrapnel of vaporized copper, etc...
KABOOM!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
and notice a cylinder with black wrapping that seemed to have gotten a little cooked - black plastic looked a bit toasted.
sounds like you are describing a filter capacitor.

if it got hot enough to melt the cover it will certainly not get any better, especially under load!

converters are not that expensive, a new one may be in order! a couple of hundred bucks now is better than burning your new baby to the ground. or worse yet, harming you or your family! plus you can take advantage of modern battery charging technoligy. you may save money in the long run by not needing to buy new batteries every other year!

the rest of your plan checking out the electrical system sounds good. let us know what you find!

don't be shy about posting some pictures if you can and asking more questions!

good luck!

john
Old 03-25-2005, 10:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I can vouch for the fact that the IntelePower does not like being connected to 220V AC. The electricians who are wiring our new house installed an RV 30 amp outlet in a temporary box for us but wired it as typical for a dryer plug. I plugged in the trailer long enough to hear a fan in the bathroom start running way too fast and immediately unplugged. It was too late, the IntelePower was toast....so was the fan! I called and got the IP replaced under warranty (this sort of thing is apparently covered believe it or not). Thanks to the AirstreamForums member who sells the units as he was most understanding and shipped a new one out immediately.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:10 PM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i'd be kicking some electrician butt after a screw up like that!

john
Old 03-26-2005, 12:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
i'd be kicking some electrician butt after a screw up like that!

john
That is a serious problem. I would be suing some electrician's butt after a screw-up like that. He should have known the difference between a standard 30-amp 110VAC outlet and a standard 220 VAC outlet.
That's just plain scary!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:53 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I was a little disturbed by this, too. He also wired one of the 15/20amp plugs in the same box with reversed hot/neutral. I told our builder that I felt that they should not have anything to do with building our new home, but the builder eventually talked me down. You can believe that everything they do will be carefully inspected. My polarity meter and V/A meter will be getting a workout!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #19
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I had an electricain buddy help me wire my 30 amp rv plug. He is a very good electricain and very concencous about his work.

However, when he checked out the job for me he told me to pick up a two pole 30 amp breaker.

When I went to buy the stuff, I noted the two pole breaker was setup to take power from both 110 sides of the main and it also used smaller wire than I expected. Thought to myself this is meant for a dryer or oven.

So I had him meet me at the store and told him my concerns. He said, did I tell you two pole? I showed him my notes

So of course I ended up getting a single pole 30 amp breaker which accepted a larger wire and was cheaper than the two-pole

When I watched him wire it, he also fixed a couple of other minor wiring issues in the pannel I did not know about. I still double checked polarity and voltage before plugging anything in.

So, it happens to the best of them. Pays to keep on top of it yourself.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeakMD
I was a little disturbed by this, too. He also wired one of the 15/20amp plugs in the same box with reversed hot/neutral. I told our builder that I felt that they should not have anything to do with building our new home, but the builder eventually talked me down. You can believe that everything they do will be carefully inspected. My polarity meter and V/A meter will be getting a workout!
I hope the builder has excellent risk insurance....I am sorry but I think I would have insisted that the "electrical installer" ( he obviously IS NOT an electrician) be removed, I would also have asked for a discount seeing how you are going to have to spend your time checking behind them, I mean what are you paying them for? I would also have a little talk with the local inspections/liscensing department. I do my most of my own electrical wiring just for these reasons, I paid an electrician to rewire the ground floor of one of my houses because the inspections department would not issue a permit unless there was a "liscensed" electrician involved. After about 3 weeks of making them rework and rework and rework, we fired them and completed the work ourselves. Then took them and the inspections department to court for our CO. Which BTW we got, we also had that company's license suspended...It really makes me wonder who is really watching over these people, and if the liscense is really just a form of revenue....because as we found out the local government can't be held liable for the incompetence of their inspectors or the fact they are liscensing incompentent tradesmen either.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote